Tampa airport to cruise port / hotels

gadgetlady

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board, recommended by a friend on a recent cruise.

I'm leaving on a cruise out of Tampa in April and I'm planning to fly in a few days earlier. Can anyone tell me where the cruise terminal is in relation to the airport, or possibly some good hotels near the cruise terminal (preferably with shuttle)? TIA

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board, recommended by a friend on a recent cruise.

I'm leaving on a cruise out of Tampa in April and I'm planning to fly in a few days earlier. Can anyone tell me where the cruise terminal is in relation to the airport, or possibly some good hotels near the cruise terminal (preferably with shuttle)? TIA

I live here in the Tampa area...the port of Tampa is very near TIA. Anything in the Westshore area would be close and good. You'd be close to shopping and great restaurants. Downtown and Channelside area as well.

PS We are on the Gulf coast...not east coast departures. I'm sure just an oversight on your part!

I live here in the Tampa area...the port of Tampa is very near TIA. Anything in the Westshore area would be close and good. You'd be close to shopping and great restaurants. Downtown and Channelside area as well.

PS We are on the Gulf coast...not east coast departures. I'm sure just an oversight on your part!

Whoops! I only saw East and West -- I didn't see the Gulf Coast option.

Thanks for the help. I'll look for hotels in those areas.

Also, there is a Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn in the "Ybor City" district of Tampa. This is the old Cuban historic area of Tampa with one street (7th Avenue) filled with night clubs, bars, shops and restaurants. Both hotels are very new and excellent.

Ybor City is less than 2 miles north of Channelside which is where the cruise port is located. And there are street cars (trolley) running between Ybor City and Channelside. But you would need to take a taxi from the airport to Ybor.

Trolley map at: http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/about/maps/map.pdf

Map shows the locations of the 2 hotels I mentioned, train stops as well as the location of Channelside, the station for the cruise ships.

BobK/Orlando

The airport and the cruise terminal aren't very close together at all, I don't think. I live in the Westshore area and work near the terminal. It's a 20 minute drive, without traffic. Not a cheap cabfare. It is much closer to stay near the airport than to stay in Clearwater/St. Pete, hoewver, so if it's the only affordable rates in Tampa proper and if they have a shuttle, go for it. I've never stayed in a hotel in Tampa though, so I can't really recommend there.

For clarification, the airport and the port are approx. 9 miles apart. Obviously the drive time would be longer than 10 minutes, depending on time of day, but I doubt it will take you more than 25 max.

If you get a hotel that provides pickup from the airport to hotel, you would only need to worry about cab fare once.

I only suggested Westshore, because when visitors come to town they almost always love that area with the top notch restaurants and Westshore and International Plaza malls. Again you need to decide how much time you have for all that. I thought you indicated you'd have a day?

Ybor is also a great option. I probably wouldn't suggest you go into Clearwater as you are getting further away from the port that way.

Whatever you decide, have a fantastic visit and a great cruise!

Archived