ms NOORDAM IV *VIRUS ALERT*

AAAAmerican

Who cares about caps, and underlining ??

Perhaps this is what the OP witnessed, and interpreted to be the dreaded "N" virus .... I'm sure no one here can distinguish the difference between motion sickness, and noro. If you have that gift, I'd be more than willing to hear your thoughts and theories on both!

Like John and a few others said, give him a break.

(As the great saying goes .... "Let those without sin, cast the first stone" ..)

Hi Vic,

Great post - I couldn't agree with you more. I'm getting a little sick and tired of the personal assaults and nit-picking that have been going on lately. There are a lot more important things to worry about than someone's mis-spellings, etc.

If it's being done "tongue-in-cheek" then be sure to use the emoticons (smilies) to get your point across or else it just sounds downright mean and nasty.

Valerie:)

Hi Vic,

Great post - I couldn't agree with you more. I'm getting a little sick and tired of the personal assaults and nit-picking that have been going on lately. There are a lot more important things to worry about than someone's mis-spellings, etc.

If it's being done "tongue-in-cheek" then be sure to use the emoticons (smilies) to get your point across or else it just sounds downright mean and nasty.

Am I the only one to notice that AAA has not returned? Given the reaction to his posts, who can blame him. To review, he gave us a heads up that there were viral alerts and a mechanical problem that was fixed on a wonderful ship with crew. He also advised that there was no compensation- not that he expected such.

Attacking another poster does not seem to be in the spirit of these boards. Can we hold ourselves to a higher standard or must we Carnivalize ourselves?

Am I the only one to notice that AAA has not returned? Given the reaction to his posts, who can blame him. To review, he gave us a heads up that there were viral alerts and a mechanical problem that was fixed on a wonderful ship with crew. He also advised that there was no compensation- not that he expected such.

Attacking another poster does not seem to be in the spirit of these boards. Can we hold ourselves to a higher standard or must we Carnivalize ourselves?

No Captain my Captain,

You are not alone in noticing the absence of AAAA. Poor guy, all he tried to do was give us a heads up on some minor problems and in at least one case he detailed the problem and said that it had been fixed. He seemed interested in providing more information about the cruise but was apparently scared off. As you said: "who could blame him". I've been flamed myself on several occasions (hard to believe I know since I'm soooo loveable:rolleyes: ) and it hurts even though you know that you should "just consider the source".

I went back and checked his original post and honestly I can't see anything wrong with it other than it is phrased differently from what one would consider "the norm" and has some spelling mistakes but he is always the first one to tell us that he is a lousy speller. I also checked Navy Chief's post regarding his cruise and oh my, his reception was far different from AAAA's. Could it be that his language skills are a little better and that that makes his post more valid? Are we really that shallow?

There is a post by a lady, and I'm sorry but I can't remember which thread it is on, who says that she met AAAA at a Cruise Critic's get-together aboard ship and she mentions what a very nice man he is.

Once again (gads I'm even boring myself to death here): Can't we all just get along, and be nice, and stop all this sneering and sniping? Aren't we better than that?

I agree with the spirit of what the last few posters have said. I myself have been well and truly Carnivalized in the past- ouch. It does hurt. The thing with AAAA is that a conversation will get going, and in will come sailing a completely obtuse posting, complete with references I have struggled mightily to contextualize and have come up with: nothing. Is it a mistrust of the NYSE and global markets? Is it that most lines have become middle-of-the-road due to being CCL owned now? Are we talking pro-USA stuff? Anti-USA? Michigan Militia? What?

I'm fine with it as I have learned to jump over the half-page it takes to scroll through it. I just feel as though I am too stupid to "get" what he is saying- and I'm not really that stupid!

No offense meant, though. I can't deny (can you?) that AAAA is part of my life, somehow, and it's just frustrating to read what I consider to be completely off point Kremlin-esque posts- right in the middle of very interesting back-and-forth conversations.

AAAA

posting obliquely

I struggle to ken

his meaning

stumped

An awkward little haiku for AAAA.

I was on the cruise mentioned. When I read Jonathon's post, I didn't totally agree with it, but then other people had complained about how rough it was. I guess I didn't notice it until I got home and had a headache because I didn't have to worry about keeping my balance ? I went to the Backstage/Meet the Dancers thing and they said that they considered cancelling their last show because they were afraid they were going to fall. But they went ahead with it and all was well. The captain had addressed the group I was with early in the cruise and said that there was no problem with the stabilizers, explained that something else with the current which I didn't really understand, was causing the problem. I never heard any different, so didn't realize there really was a stabilizer problem. People were complaining about all sorts of things, the food, I can't remember what all, and after awhile I just tune out negative things.

I had been emailing Jonathon (AAAAmerican) before the cruise. You have to meet the guy in person, which I did at the CC gathering he set up. He comes across differently in person than in posts. He is very kind and only had good things to say about the other CC'ers we talked about. When I saw him around the ship, he always said hello but that was about it, we didn't really get to talk again. He was with his family and friends and they seemed to all be having a grand time together.

Several times I thought I was coming down with a cold or something, so I sat out in the hot salt air breeze. That and a few drinks every evening seemed to kill off whatever bothered me.

I really thought the cruise was great, but then I have never had a cruise (and this was #39) that I didn't like. AND... anything I don't have to cook tastes good to me! Hope you all get a chance to have such a great time.

I agree with the spirit of what the last few posters have said. I myself have been well and truly Carnivalized in the past- ouch. It does hurt. The thing with AAAA is that a conversation will get going, and in will come sailing a completely obtuse posting, complete with references I have struggled mightily to contextualize and have come up with: nothing. Is it a mistrust of the NYSE and global markets? Is it that most lines have become middle-of-the-road due to being CCL owned now? Are we talking pro-USA stuff? Anti-USA? Michigan Militia? What?

I'm fine with it as I have learned to jump over the half-page it takes to scroll through it. I just feel as though I am too stupid to "get" what he is saying- and I'm not really that stupid!

No offense meant, though. I can't deny (can you?) that AAAA is part of my life, somehow, and it's just frustrating to read what I consider to be completely off point Kremlin-esque posts- right in the middle of very interesting back-and-forth conversations.

AAAA

posting obliquely

I struggle to ken

his meaning

stumped

An awkward little haiku for AAAA.

I honestly have to agree with much of what you say about AAAA's posts. I enjoy reading them but as John (Copper 10-8) says it's always an "adventure", and I do tend to skip over a lot of the lengthier posts. AAAA does have a tendency to go off on a tangent, however he is entitled to his opinions (see First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution).

My problem is with this thread and the fact that he was just giving a "heads up" and this particular post did not seem to me to be that obtuse.

I was on the cruise mentioned. When I read Jonathon's post, I didn't totally agree with it, but then other people had complained about how rough it was. I guess I didn't notice it until I got home and had a headache because I didn't have to worry about keeping my balance ? I went to the Backstage/Meet the Dancers thing and they said that they considered cancelling their last show because they were afraid they were going to fall. But they went ahead with it and all was well. The captain had addressed the group I was with early in the cruise and said that there was no problem with the stabilizers, explained that something else with the current which I didn't really understand, was causing the problem. I never heard any different, so didn't realize there really was a stabilizer problem. People were complaining about all sorts of things, the food, I can't remember what all, and after awhile I just tune out negative things.

I had been emailing Jonathon (AAAAmerican) before the cruise. You have to meet the guy in person, which I did at the CC gathering he set up. He comes across differently in person than in posts. He is very kind and only had good things to say about the other CC'ers we talked about. When I saw him around the ship, he always said hello but that was about it, we didn't really get to talk again. He was with his family and friends and they seemed to all be having a grand time together.

Several times I thought I was coming down with a cold or something, so I sat out in the hot salt air breeze. That and a few drinks every evening seemed to kill off whatever bothered me.

I really thought the cruise was great, but then I have never had a cruise (and this was #39) that I didn't like. AND... anything I don't have to cook tastes good to me! Hope you all get a chance to have such a great time.

JWitt,

I am so glad that you had a great time on your cruise. You sound like me in that: okay - there have been a few problems, but nothing life threatening, and these problems too shall pass so I have made up my mind that I'm going to have a great cruise - and I do, always!

I would really like to meet Jonathon (AAAA) in person one day because I have always thought that he was probably a really nice guy but since he is based on the east coast and I am based on the west coast then the chances are pretty slim.

Thanks for your post and keep on cruisin' - it's soooo good for the soul.

since no other action was taken i guess that means that the total number of pax and crew was less then 3% of the total on board -- over 3% they have to go to the code red level

We had a discussion with the ship's doctor on the next to last day of the 11/25 cruise, at the reception for suite PAX. He indicated that the number never reached 1 percent, much less three percent.

All in all, a nice cruise. Joan found the seas rought at times, but I (Joe) never had any problem with them. It was a "one drink" sea as far as I was concerned: queasiness equal to the effect of having one alcoholic drink. We've had four or five drink seas in the North Atlantic and Med, so this was nothing by comparison.

BTW, the morning before we sailed from San Juan, we went around the area, including the coast, with my law school roommate. The sea was amazingly rough. After seeing the raging sea breaking on the beach, we were pleasantly surprised at how stable the Noordam was.

I've heard that the ride in the Noordam'sdining room has been rather rough lately - Possibly as a result of the stabilizer issues or just a following sea on the way north as we had last year?

Not so concerned about Norovirus - just take Airborne and wash hands often.

;)

Re:AAAA

His posts remind me of e-mails from my Dad - lacking in spelling and punctuation and a few too many thoughts pushed together in the most confusing ways, but if you take your time most often you'll something golden in there.

:)

Archived