Cruise and stay

snowescape

I am a cruiser because I like travelling by ship and detest travelling by air. Have any of you found ships that will stop for a couple of days or longer in one place or will alow you to get off and then get back on another ship a few days later. I know this has some logistical challenges but I think it would be a different and a new experience which could well catch on.

What do you think?l

• 2 weeks later...

If you're a US citizen, US law does not permit you to get off one ship at an island and then let you board another. It's called the Passenger Services Act. Plus, cruise lines don't have a provision to allow passengers to just book a portion of a cruise on two different ships. Easy cruise doesn't stay overnight for extended nights, so that's not an option.

I am a cruiser because I like travelling by ship and detest travelling by air. Have any of you found ships that will stop for a couple of days or longer in one place or will alow you to get off and then get back on another ship a few days later. I know this has some logistical challenges but I think it would be a different and a new experience which could well catch on. What do you think?l

You should also be able to do that in Alaska via the ferry system. Stay in one area for a while, board and travel to the next city, stay awhile......

You do not get the "cruise ship" experience, but then you don't on Easycruise either.... :D

If you're a US citizen, US law does not permit you to get off one ship at an island and then let you board another. It's called the Passenger Services Act. Plus, cruise lines don't have a provision to allow passengers to just book a portion of a cruise on two different ships. Easy cruise doesn't stay overnight for extended nights, so that's not an option.

A better explanation to the Passenger Service Act is this:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $300 for each passenger so transported and landed. Basically this is why ships going to Hawaii either stop in Mexico or Fanning Island. Ships going to Alaska start or end in Canada.

Archived