Booking And Upgrades

Does booking through sites like Expedia or Orbitz have any effect on whether or not you recieve an upgrade? Or am I better off booking directly through RCI??

Whether you get a true free upgrade or not is up to the cruise line. I do not think that booking through a travel agency or directly with the cruise line has anything to do with it. That said, do not expect, but rather hope, to get a free upgrade. I say this because free upgrades are not that common.

Whether you get a true free upgrade or not is up to the cruise line. I do not think that booking through a travel agency or directly with the cruise line has anything to do with it. That said, do not expect, but rather hope, to get a free upgrade. I say this because free upgrades are not that common.

So who gives the upgrades? The travel company/agent or the cruise line?

So who gives the upgrades? The travel company/agent or the cruise line?

Normally the cruise line does. The way it works is that there may be a higher demand for a certain room category. For example, you are booked on an inside stateroom. Someone else comes by and wants to get four inside staterooms but there are only three available. The cruise line will then contact you or your travel agent and ask to see if you would mind upgrading in order for the cruise line to be able to sell the four inside staterooms vs. sailing with three unoccupied inside staterooms. The same would work with your travel agent if caught in the same situation.

I hope this makes sense. Just bare in mind, again, that free upgrades are not that common. Some people on this board will claim that they got upgradded but it is not entirely true. They were offered to get an upgrade but had to pay extra. Maybe not as much as if booking for that type of room as a new booking.

I hope this helps.

Normally the cruise line does. The way it works is that there may be a higher demand for a certain room category. For example, you are booked on an inside stateroom. Someone else comes by and wants to get four inside staterooms but there are only three available. The cruise line will then contact you or your travel agent and ask to see if you would mind upgrading in order for the cruise line to be able to sell the four inside staterooms vs. sailing with three unoccupied inside staterooms. The same would work with your travel agent if caught in the same situation.

I hope this makes sense. Just bare in mind, again, that free upgrades are not that common. Some people on this board will claim that they got upgradded but it is not entirely true. They were offered to get an upgrade but had to pay extra. Maybe not as much as if booking for that type of room as a new booking.

I hope this helps.

Definitely helps. My next question is are there any advantages to booking with a third party company or travel agent as opposed to booking directly with the cruise line? As far as I can tell, the prices are the same for the particular cruise I have my eye on, and when the price changes on RCI's site, it is reflected on Orbitz, Expedia and the like. This will be the 1st cruise I've booked myself, so I apologize in advance for all the questions.

You will find the prices the same for RCCL on any website you go on. RCCL does not allow discounting. Have you booked a guaranteed cabin , or did you receive a room assignment at the time of booking? If you booked a guarantee, the cruiseline may upgrade you (although it may not). If you have a room assignment you will not receive any upgrade un less you purchase it.

Definitely helps. My next question is are there any advantages to booking with a third party company or travel agent as opposed to booking directly with the cruise line? As far as I can tell, the prices are the same for the particular cruise I have my eye on, and when the price changes on RCI's site, it is reflected on Orbitz, Expedia and the like. This will be the 1st cruise I've booked myself, so I apologize in advance for all the questions.

There is no advantage here. The easiest way to get an upgrade is to book a category but not a specific room. You may still be upgraded if you book a specific room but must inform whomever you are booking through that you are willing/open for an upgrade. At the same time, if you do not want an upgrade, make sure you tell them that you do not want an upgrade.

We were pleased w/ our upgrade, plus we got free bottle of wine, free 8x10 pic & coupon book (we were NOT expecting these, either). $499 pp/7 days

MIL booked Disney cruise thru local TA...but w/ 26 of us & needing family suites & 1 BR over Xmas, and she booked as soon as booking opened, really the only way to go.

We booked this last one through bestpricecruises. Booked last year w/ them and had to cancel, and pleased w/ service. $543pp/7 days

The Princess cruises were booked because of price!

• 5 weeks later...

I know HAL told me last year that the cruises out of Tampa and Orlando were the cheapest and same prices for first time cruisers vs, past because of the competition in the area.

I hear about these great prices but the ones I have taken/am taking (Holland) Alaska and Europe are always $1,500-$2,600.00pp best price for Outside and lowest Verandah. Perhaps I am always traveling in the summer "in season" when the children are off from school (not nes. traveling with us). The Alaska cruise was 100% booked so no upgrades, couldn't even get a Veradah 8 months in advance. I suppose that says something about the HAL line (or just a slightly smaller ship).

Archived