Mercury Panama Cruise Dec 08, 2006

C 2 C

..........that Natalie was aboard.......and taking Arno's money for future cruises!! We contributed a small amount, but I think that Arno was the big winner on future cruises!!

Rick

Only 4 more. :o We had already booked Journey for October/November and added Galaxy for Dec 2007 and a couple of Century trades for 2008. Infinity around the Horn is our next adventure in Feb 2007.

According to Natalie, Celebrity will soon be offering transferable BLANK bookings; a future cruise sale with no ship or date specified.

Thanks, Arno...sorry to hear about Robin...might be he missed his bride! We were hoping he'd be a wonderful addition to the Down Under cruises since he's from Oz. And Justin is a real loss...he was terrific to us (as were Natalie and David (concierge). Guess there's no telling who will be in which position next year so I won't dwell on it.

We'll be in Journey in May and will post a trip report...really looking forward to that experience. Still wish you could do the Down Under cruises...it's turning out to be a terrific roll call with a great crowd.

Just came in after spending the holiday in MI with our dgd's. Made it through noro but highly unlikely that we will get past the dgd's colds unscathed.

Arno and Rick pretty much covered it. A few other items of note on the noro issue. The beginning concentration of bleach was difficult for some of us. My allergies skyrocketed until I realized that I was best off on the aft open deck. The concentration was more manageable after the first 36 hours. Rumors are rife and we heard that the group was from the HI in Mission Hills. One of our cc members, CrackerKen was hit by it and will hopefully, provide a bit more information on the treatment of it. Late seating was moved to 8:45 to allow sanitizing of the chairs and menu's. Our waiter put in 89 hours and assistant waiter put in 87 during the first week we were on board. They were still tremendous! The sushi was back in place when we hit code yellow. Our cabin steward told us that they would be removing anything removable from the cabins when we disembarked and a special team would be coming through. They were to be completed by 4:00 PM so I assume the next cruise left a bit late.

Aruba and Cristobal were late nights so a dinner buffet was run in addition to the dining room being open.

Overall, a wonderful cruise and I have to commend the staff. They did a spectacular job!

Our first trip on Celebrity 12/8 from San Diego through the canal. We booked a Sky Suite and had high expectations only to be dissappointed. Our conclusion is that Celebrity has become so concerned about extras that they've lost track of the basics. While the Norovirus was a great focus there were many misses by Celebrity. Our toilet didn't work for three of the 15 days so we were down the hall, down the stairs to a public restroom. After the third incident I was assured the toilet wasn't malfunctioning but we were merely experiencing a normal delay. I thought that if you pushed the flush button, the toilet flushed rather than having a four to 12 hour "delay" built in. Food was not available except for reheated pasta if your tour got back after our main seating. "Priority" baggage handling took 5 hours to get the bags to our room which was after main dining and we couldn't get into the dining room in our jeans. Our first reheated pasta as the hamburger grill closed at 6pm. Bon Voyage items ordered and paid 3 weeks before the cruise were not available, ever! The whirlpool tub didn't work. The TV worked on 2 channels. I called twice, each of the first four days to get the tub and TV repaired. Never saw a repair person. They never worked! We really expect the basics to function and if not, to repair them or move us in a reasonable time. A quarter through the cruise seemed reasonable to us but nothing ever was done. We're on vacation, don't need the aggravation so we just gave up. The service people were great in spite of the extra burdens placed on them due to the virus. The leaders didn't seem to know what to do when something unplanned occurred. Example - Canal transit was delayed ~3 hours which means the hundreds of people on excursions would get back after both seatings in the dining room and were unlikely to be dressed for informal night (jackets and ties didn't seem advisable for a day in Panama). We went to the dining room and were denied entry due to improper dress (jeans) although the dining room was ~75% empty. Went up to the buffet. With three hours advanced notice ONE line was open. About an hour after customers were back a second line was opened. Does anyone have a clue? We were very disappointed. We both travel a lot although mostly by air and we are somewhat novice cruisers. The mark of good people who are well trrained is when the can respond to problems well. Celebrity can't feed people out of schedule or repair/maintain the physical basics of a stateroom. What might that suggest about what you can't see? A positive note: the waiters, room stewards, butler, bartenders, etc were very competent, very helpful and would be welcome additions to any travel industry staff. And we had great table mates for dinner. Celebrity didn't deliver what they offered at the significant price premium they charge. Maybe that's why so few people on board booked another cruise.

Florida Viking:

Not a great cruising experience.

We had a few incidents of slomo flushing but not anything like you experienced.

We have always found that if things go right the cruise is fantastic, if you have a problem, no one wants to take responsibility.

When you pay the extra bucks for a suite you deserve to get results.

We also could not understand the dress code for Panama. With several 100's getting off, how could they expect people to get dressed according to code. I'm surprised your jeans were rejected though. We found the dress code to be very relaxed during this cruise.

Perhaps Mercury did not meet the threshold for reporting:

cruise ships in which 3% or more of passengers or crew reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illness to the ships medical staff during the voyage.

with 1,886 potential passengers, 57 guests would have to be sick. From past experience, we were told that stool samples are sent to the CDC for analysis. More info will probably be reported by next month.

Perhaps Mercury did not meet the threshold for reporting:

with 1,886 potential passengers, 57 guests would have to be sick. From past experience, we were told that stool samples are sent to the CDC for analysis. More info will probably be reported by next month.

Arno, Your probably right and we probably missed the percentage. However, looks like a good thing that we switched from Regal Princess since they did manage to get listed!

With the long report I posted on my noro experience, I forgot the stool sample thing (I guess I was trying to avoid graphic descriptions or something...). Yes, they did ask for it and got it. They didn't mention what they do with it though.

Other than my tough luck with noro and an eye infection, I had a great time. The only complaint I have, is those horribly worn out beds. One would think they could be replacing those as they wear out. I would welcome a basic "cruise ship" mattress in good shape, though those new fancy home style mattresses are great. I just don't understand the waiting for an actual dry dock to replace worn out mattresses. I got a mattress pad, and that worked nicely, but it would be better to have decent mattresses to start with. I could get a better mattress at a flea bag motel on the "strip" in Tampa, that rents by the hour.:rolleyes: This is the only complaint I wrote on my comment card.

Later,

Ken

Good evening, all

Arno, thanks for starting this thread.

Indeed, this was a very good cruise, made a whole lot more ''near perfect'' thru the top quality people we were fortunate to share good fun with during the cruise.

X deserves AAA+++ for the huge effort expensed in containing the Noro thing as they did, stopping it from becoming an outbreak.In light of that, the day to day level of service given to the 1700++ guests on board was nothing less than fantastic. Very little negative to say about the ship overall....yes, she shows her age....but then, so do we all !!!...and we don't have a drydock coming up to change that !!! One look at the quality of the ''over 50'' crowd we were lucky to be part of on the cruise, and one must admit: nothing wrong with ageing. The ''ongoing'' maintenance of MV MERCURY is of good standards. Food service & quality are defenitely "" ***** "".

On a personnal note, a couple of cruisemates bestowed me with a generous level of confidence....you four know who you are: humbly, I thank you and will PM a little later.;)

Has everybody caught up with the laundry, mail, bills, ironing, doctor's appointments, driveway clean-up, garbage at the curb, etc.etc....??? We're just about done.

A special note for Ken : BRAVO !!! Going thru hell and emerging with a smile ?? Tough deed and you pulled it off .

Such a well grounded attitude, super dispositions, positive thinking, staunch realism and good ol'fashionned common sense...We salute you, Ken, and hail your great post on the '' quarantine''....Now, if you could happen to be on a ''defective pod'' cruise one day....this board in particular and the entire X cruiser crowd as a whole certainly could make use of your input, in a similarly created thread '' life with faulty pods''....Cruise critics would never be the same....

Happy new Year- good health, great cruises and serene seas to all.

Cheers

Claude & Heather

:)

p.s. soon to be ''heard'' from on this board as ''C-legs''

Well, I'm certain I could come up with something, like -

"The pods breaking down made the ship go slower. There was a lot's less wind up on top. It was much more pleasant to stand up on top at the rails and watch the sea without getting what little hair I have left blown off of my head. There was more topless use up on the topless deck too, since it wasn't as windy and chilly as usual.;) (not that I would notice anyway...) Also, since the ship is running slower, it means more sea days, and plenty of time to relax, be it in the sun or shade. This means more time to rest up for when we (at least some of us) return home to our hectic work schedules. With more sea days, it means less port days and less excursions costing lots of $$$. More money to spent on fun stuff like bingo, t-shirts, etc. "

How's that for starters?:)

I have to admit though, I feel more secure on ships without pods. The ships with inboard motors seldom break down. Besides, I've always thought cruise ships were much too big for outboard motors. Anything on the water over about 20ft long needs an inboard.

I'm sitting here going through all of my cruise pics (about 1600 of them). I've got some great pics here. I'll post a note when I'm finish and have them up on my web page. Boring New Years Eve huh? Yes, but it's safe here at home.

Happy New Year to All!

Ken

Happy New Year, all,

A good thread to write into! As first time cruisers and honeymooners, and personally a germ-phobe, the news we received two days into the cruise initially disturbed me. Ahhh! We were on our honeymoon on the Mercury Dec. 8 bound for Panama, and the announcement came...we had a Noro outbreak aboard.

But thankfully, Captain Nikkos and the staff were tremendous, TREMENDOUS and FABULOUS...to handle 1800 passengers with 44 coming aboard infected and presenting with the Noro within 48 hours. My stats come from talking with a few of the 44 who constituted a group tour.

For those of you who freak about cruising on sick ships, you must understand the facts...WE are the carriers. We board from planes, trains, and rental cars...we incubate and come aboard. The crew follows stringent procedures of quarantine if they show symptoms...not fun for them. What they must do is far above and beyond any public school, bank or movie theatre that our families regularly contact. This particular incident, according to a travel club member involved in the group outbreak, was 100% among her intact tour group who:

a) traveled from the east coast together on the same flight(s);

b) stayed at the Holiday Inn for THREE nights together, and

c) transported as a group from home to shipboarding.

The symptoms appeared within 6 hours of boarding among the first of the 44 among this group. If these facts aren't accurate, please correct. I believe another two passengers also contracted the G.I. virus....similtaneously, or within 24 hours.

The crew are the most astute and careful about sanitation, as their job performance and personal health are constantly threatened. I personally was so grateful to see the crew and passenger cooperation with the sanitation efforts. We had a PERFECT honeymoon....even won the Newlywed game (but didn't know our answers would be broadcast on ship TV-ouch)! Yes, the bleach smell was a bit annoying, but I felt secure in the knowledge that no greater effort to ensuring against an epidemic outbreak could be done. Kudos to the Mercury staff for cheerfully remaining protective of our health. So, okay, I had to ask the waiter for 6 drops of tabasco sauce on my eggs every morning...and had coffee served FOR me. And, yes, my hands were shriveled and dry from disinfectant...a small inconvenience for two weeks of sheer relaxation and wonder in the Panama Canal and new ports of call! We are cruising again with Celebrity in the spring! No fear of virus can stop us!!! Happy New Year all, and remember to

WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN with soap and hot H20!

Best wishes in 2007,

Calabasas

I'm one of those who caught the disease and was not a part of that group from the travel club. I had heard that 30 of them had it, but since you got the info from their leader, it's most likely acurate. I don't know exactly how many on the cruise had the illness. The doctor said that I probably was exposed on Sunday, judging from when I came down with it. I still have to wonder how many people in that travel club knew they were ill at the time they signed the paper and boarded the ship. There was some talk that some of them did. I wonder if all of those from that group who were sick were quarantined. Somebody managed to spread it around. Of course, there could have been some other folks other than the tour group who boarded and spread the disease. Oh well, that's life on the big ship.

Ken

Happy New Year,

Thanks for the information. Up to now I had not heard from anyone who spoke to THE SOURCE.

Ken, thanks again for posting such an upbeat thread to what could have been a horrible situation. You are an inspiration to all Celebrity board posters who take the time to smell the roses while acknowledging the thorns. Too often we hear only from those who ignore the blossom and concentrate on the thorns.

A special thanks to all onboard who acknowledged the superb work done by staff who worked overtime to keep the majority of us healthy.

I'm one of those who caught the disease and was not a part of that group from the travel club. I had heard that 30 of them had it, ... I wonder if all of those from that group who were sick were quarantined. Somebody managed to spread it around.

Ken

Again, not sure how accurate, but the individual who gave me this info was a wife of one of the original 44. Total tour group size, according to her: 114. ALL of the 114 in the had to report in to the med clinic for assessment; ALL cabin mates of the 44 infected were ALSO quarantined (she said for 48 hours even with no symptoms). By her account, everyone cooperated; most fell sick within the first 24 hours after embarkation.

Sorry you were so unlucky. Glad it didn't ruin your cruise overall!

Again, not sure how accurate, but the individual who gave me this info was a wife of one of the original 44.

Would you perhaps know which hotel they stayed in? I've had two different Holiday Inns mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Finally - I have my photo album for our Panama Canal Cruise posted on my web page at Yahoo. Just click on the Yahoo link in my signature block. There are 300 pictures in the album, with is about a forth of what I brought back.

I'm working on a separate album for all of my pictures taken during the Panama Canal transit. I'm about done with the album. Check back in a few days. I'm also putting all of my sunset pictures from the cruise on the Sunset album on my Yahoo page.

I hope y'all enjoy these pictures.

Ken

Archived