cruising at home.

madhouseinc

My daughter thinks I have wayyyy too much time on my hands but the last few days (and nights) I tried an experient. First I set my thermastat at 72 degrees for the evening. I wore my formalwear for dinner and then around the house to watch TV. Can speak only for my personal comfort, but I found myself very chilled and could not enjoy dinner when I was wearing my sleeveless gown - even with a shawl but was comfortable in my velvet dress the next night. Everyone says to dress for the climate not the season and velvet is ver boten - that is an oh well - bringing it anyway. During the day I kicked up the heat to 75 degrees and built a fire in the fireplace - could handle the capri's and short sleeves but the tanks were a bit rough. But hoping for plenty of sun that will let me use them but brining plenty of layering.

Madhouse,

I like your experiment! IT shows you are thinking about how things will go once you board your ship. However, the sun does play a big role in how you will feel. Also, keep in mind that being on a ship means wind. If you go outside on the decks you could be cold with your formalwear and wrap. Up on the top level at the front is the windiest.

My daughter thinks I have wayyyy too much time on my hands but the last few days (and nights) I tried an experient. First I set my thermastat at 72 degrees for the evening. I wore my formalwear for dinner and then around the house to watch TV. Can speak only for my personal comfort, but I found myself very chilled and could not enjoy dinner when I was wearing my sleeveless gown - even with a shawl but was comfortable in my velvet dress the next night. Everyone says to dress for the climate not the season and velvet is ver boten - that is an oh well - bringing it anyway. During the day I kicked up the heat to 75 degrees and built a fire in the fireplace - could handle the capri's and short sleeves but the tanks were a bit rough. But hoping for plenty of sun that will let me use them but brining plenty of layering.

I keep my house a toasty 78 degrees and even with that I have something warm on and shearling slippers on my feet. But on a cruise when I've spent the day in the sun and sipping some red wine with dinner, I am always warm enough to go without a wrap. That and even if I do get a bit chilled, I hate the thought of covering up whatever pretty dress I have on!

I agree with your daughter!!!

Too much time on your hands...but hey, that can be a good thing!!!

What's comfortable for some with temps, is not for others. I wore a sleeveless gown and a wrap/shawl to dinner on a cruise in October. I was sweating and couldn't rip it off fast enough after dinner. Others in the dining room had on long (hot) sleeves and were comfortable.

I wore shorts and a fleece top in Alaska and was fine. Others were bundled up like they were in Siberia and still said they were cold!!

At home in winter, I'll tend to keep the house warmer and walk around in t-shirts and shorts. In summer, the AC is on HIGH and I might have sweats on. GO FIGURE!!! I hate being hot and I hate being cold.....

I'll agree with sgttami, everyone is comfortable at different temperatures. I've only just started wearing anything longer than a short sleeved T here and the one day last week I wore jeans to work, I roasted. But, others I work with have sweaters and jeans as well as other layers, even long scarves wrapped around their necks and the temps were high 60's, low 70's :rolleyes: .

I think your little experiment was a rather smart thing to do. Now, you know you need something covering your shoulders, rather than freezing the night away!

I'll have to try that one night, come down to dinner in formal wear. I can pretend I'm living like my idols, Nick and Nora Chalres :) .

Yeah - but who is going to put your napkin on your lap and serve your dinner to you??? LOL

I'll have to order to go food and have the kids or DH serve it to me. I'm thinking this will all go over like a lead balloon at my house.

I think I've mentioned before that we have a very small house, so the "formal :rolleyes: " dining room has been taken over by the treadmill and sit up bench, along with assorted weight training equipment, so it's a "formal" gym :D .

So, I'll have to eat in the kitchen in my formal wear :p . I think Nick and Nora would have done that!

Archived