landlegs/sealegs

Lachase

I don't get seasick, but I do get "landsick" after getting off a ship. Just started happening in the last couple years. So, I take a Bonine every night while I'm onboard a ship and for the first one or two nights that I'm back home. So far, this has worked very well for me.

Claudia

I have a friend who is suffering with the opposite problem- she rocks on land and the only treatment left to try is a cruise. She has been going everywhere and trying every known 'cure' and treatment (none pleasant) and nothing has worked. She isn't spinning or dizzy, she is rocking just like we do before we get our sealegs. Sometimes the additional or opposite rocking on a ship will get the inner ear working correctly again and it is her last hope for her life to return to normal.

She leaves on Jan. 6, sailing Crystal.

The people that don't get motion sickness are probably the same ones that can read in a car or ride the rollercoaster without throwing up. Strange how some get it and some don't:confused: . Just like some people leave a ship with 20 new pounds; and then there are the people like me that can eat everything in sight and not gain an ounce:) .

There are people that can't read in a car? That throw up on rollercoasters?:confused: I didn't know this.

To agree with Hammybee " What do you mean you can eat everything in sight and not gain an ounce?? That's despicable ;)

Oh, yes, I've experienced this - a friend uses the term 'boat rock' to describe the wobbly feeling when back on land. Like many others here, it only affected me on my first two cruises and now I guess I'm 'immune':D as I never experience it anymore.

It's so, so strange. I, normally, have vertigo with tinnitus and the moment the ship starts cruising.....I'm cured!

I no longer am dizzy when I close my eyes and, although the tinnitus does not completly abate....it seems less!

I keep a fan going in my cabin; just for the "white noise" and my usually "dizzy self", on land, is now stabilized!

When we get home (on land), the dizziness returns and when I turn on a faucet the room literally spins.

The inner ear is a wonderous piece of work! :cool:

Archived