landlegs/sealegs

Lachase

Has anyone had trouble readjusting to land after returning from cruises? We returned Sunday, but I have been having trouble getting my equilibrium to adjust back to land. Still have a bit of a feeling of rocking back and forth like being on the boat. Was wondering if others had had the same situation and how they dealt with it? I do remember having a little of this previous times, but not as severe as this time.

Has anyone had trouble readjusting to land after returning from cruises? We returned Sunday, but I have been having trouble getting my equilibrium to adjust back to land. Still have a bit of a feeling of rocking back and forth like being on the boat. Was wondering if others had had the same situation and how they dealt with it? I do remember having a little of this previous times, but not as severe as this time.

I am still rocking on land since Dec. 9, but I like it!!!!! I never have gotten seasick, but I always rock on land after a trip. When I get tired of it, I take Dramamine and that seems to make it go away.

Oh Yessssssssssssss - I had that after our first cruise. So bad, in fact, that I needed to hold on to furniture to walk through the house back here at home. I have a bit of a tender tummy anyway, so had been taking Bonine on board. I needed to continue that for more than a week afterwards.

Second cruise, I had the little ear patch from my Dr. No problems at all afterwards. I'll get that patch every time now.

Donna

Appreciate the input---misery loves company! At least I know I am not alone in this malady. I am going to try to go out of the house today for the first time and hope not to weave into anyone. This is the first time this has hit me so extremely after a cruise; I didn't really feel too badly while onboard, thank goodness.

I remember noticing the phenomenon after our first couple of cruises. Since then, however, I don't recall ever having the sensation. (And we've ridden some significant seas.) I guess it's best I don't have that to remind me how much I'd rather be on a ship than back home! ;)

Regaining your "land legs" is actually a medical condition called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome or MDDS. The vestibular system in your ear adjusts to the constant motion on a ship and for some people it takes longer for it to readjust to land. Personally I've had bouts of MDDS lasting from virtually nothing to up to a week or so. Medically there's not much can be done about it other than wait it out and let the balance system "reboot".

On my first cruise, I got sick on thursday and stuck a patch behind my ear. I had taken it off earlier in the week because it dried my mouth out so bad it made me nauseous. I took it off when I got home on saturday. Sunday we went to church and when I got home I started getting sea sick again. I was crawling on my hands and knees and couldn't look at anything. I learned to keep taking drugs for a couple days after I got back.

I can remember after our first cruise in 2002 that it seemed it lasted for days and like Copper said it was very noticable in the shower. Maybe one or two more cruises after the first we felt it ever so slightly. Then nothing for the past 5 or 6 cruises with some having a lot of motion, until this past cruise on the Zaandam. I actually felt it again then next day:eek: It was not severe but it was slightly felt non the less. Not sure if it was because it was 10 days or I just wished I was still on the ship:D

I can remember after our first cruise in 2002 that it seemed it lasted for days and like Copper said it was very noticable in the shower. Maybe one or two more cruises after the first we felt it ever so slightly. Then nothing for the past 5 or 6 cruises with some having a lot of motion, until this past cruise on the Zaandam. I actually felt it again then next day:eek: It was not severe but it was slightly felt non the less. Not sure if it was because it was 10 days or I just wished I was still on the ship:D

:eek:

Just would like to clarify - Lisa took that shower in Vegas and I took mine at home and not necessarily at the same time!;)

The people that don't get motion sickness are probably the same ones that can read in a car or ride the rollercoaster without throwing up. Strange how some get it and some don't:confused: . Just like some people leave a ship with 20 new pounds; and then there are the people like me that can eat everything in sight and not gain an ounce:) .

Just would like to clarify - Lisa took that shower in Vegas and I took mine at home and not necessarily at the same time!;)

Oh John:eek: :D You have me laughing so hard with tears running down my face I can hardly see the screen to type this. I guess I should not mention that when you get this sensation while in bed it is a comforting feeling of being back on the ship;) But of course that is only when I am in bed with Tom:D

I definitely come home with "sea legs" after every cruise (33 so far). It takes me at least two weeks to get my "land legs" back. What I have to do is take some meclizine, bonine or motion sickness pills while I am still experiencing this. Forget about closing my eyes when taking a shower, I go to fall. It is also bad when I go to stand up. I do have to hold on to furniture sometimes to level myself. I do have a "chronic inner ear" thing - vertigo... so I think that does not help either. But hey, I don't mind ... I'd rather be cruising so putting up with this afterwards is not a big deal!

and then there are the people like me that can eat everything in sight and not gain an ounce:) .

Now here I have been thinking constructiondude is a breath of fresh air on the HAL board and you had to go and spoil it. Waddayamean you can eat whatever you want, and don't gain weight?

Nope. Never had it. Never been sea sick either. Mayhap they are connected.

Me too. Maybe there is a connection. I have heard however, that given enough motion, everyone eventually will become seasick. An old Navy guy once told me this. Wonder if it's true.

Last night, I was feeling so much better and thinking my wobbling was going away but this morning when taking my shower, there I went again, back and forth, back and forth. So, it was interesting to read how taking a shower accentuates the motion perception. This is the first time I have really been bothered so much by cruising after effects but then, I think we had rougher seas than I had experienced before, plus, bah humbug, getting older a bit also and I know "things happen". It is still well worth the suffering for the trip though, and like you all say, I wish I was back on the ship!

Archived