Cabin question

carlyshenk

We were booked on the Infinity to Alaska in a Sky Suite in May, 2005. We had to cancel that cruise and rebook the same itinerary in September, 2005, but there are no Sky Suites available. My TA suggested aft cabin 7203 and waitlist for a Sky Suite which is what we did. I'm fairly sure a Sky Suite will open up before we cruise. My question is would you take the Sky Suite or keep the aft cabin?

We've never had an aft cabin before, but I know everyone who has, raves about them. We have been in Sky Suites and liked that. My husband said he could live without a butler and I feel the same. It's nice, but we really don't ask him to do too much more than our cabin steward does.

My husband has concerns that we won't be able to see as much from the back of the ship as we would from the balcony on the side.

What would you do?

Carol

My wife and I had an aft cabin on our Alaska cruise several years ago and it was actually an advantage for at least two reasons.

We could see both sides of the ship plus the rear view. Before any engineers flame me about angles, I know you don't see exactly what someone on the side in the middle of the ship sees at the same time, but as the ship moves, you will. And you don't have to run from one side to the other to do it.

Some tablemates complained that the wind when the ship was sailing made the balcony too cool to use much. That isn't the case on an aft balcony. You feel very little of that.

The M-Class sky suites do have a balcony, but nowhere near as large. The balcony is the width of the cabin (about 2-3 feet wider than the aft, but only about 4 feet or so deep. The aft cabin balcony is about 18-20 feet. Our friends had 2 deck chairs and a small table on their sky suite balcony and could have maybe replaced the chairs with chaise lounges, but it would have been tight. We had two chairs, two chaise lounges, the table and 8 people on ours and then got chairs from next door so we could all sit out there and talk.

Another bonus. After the repositioning next spring, your cabin is supposed to be Concierge Class. Many of the suite benefits but no butler. I agree with you, the butler is nice, but I can get along well without one.

We're going again in September of 2005 and chose the aft cabin over a sky suite. We wouldn't take the SS at the same price, but we are aft cabin addicts. Still, I hope this information answers your question.

Bob

Thanks for your helpful replies. I think I have my husband convinced to keep the aft cabin and save some money. The difference in price of the aft cabin and the sky suite and the tip for the butler adds up to alot of martinis and a few shore excursions. Thanks again.

Archived