stepping up?

I was just thinking.... The major cruiselines have been managing to keep cruising affordable by cutting corners here and there over the past several years. I can cruise for about the same amount of money that I spent back in my college days! But, frankly, we could afford to spend more if we wanted to. We aren't in college any more. If we were going to step up a level, in terms of food and service, what would you recommend? Celebrity? Silversea? Seabourn?

Is it worth it?

Looking for opinions, here.....

Thanks

I've only been on Celebrity of the three you mentioned. We started sailing Celebrity in 1984 and over the years have sailed on them 18 times. We haven't been on them since November 2005. At that time we noticed that the food wasn't as good as it had been, although it is better than RCI, Carnival, NCL and Princess.

The service on Celebrity is excellent, but it is far more formal. The entire ambience of their ships is more formal. We never saw jeans in the dining room and a lot more formal wear on formal nights. People remained dressed for the evening, all evening, not just for dinner.

The stewards didn't engage in much personal conversation even though we tried to talk to them about home etc. Just a very different atmosphere.

The night life on Celebrity isn't as eclectic as on RCI. It is far more quiet I think, and I think the average age of the passenger is a bit older.

I love Celebrity, but I think RCI has more to offer for us at this time, so we are on RCI for the time being. I don't necessarily equate spending more with better quality. I know that is usually the case, but I have to give consideration to the overall vacation, not just food as an example.

Good luck in your choice.

Katie

I have no personal experience on higher-end lines, but work with two women who sail Regent Seven Seas. One cruises about 3 times a year, and she generally does two cruises on Royal Caribbean (Mariner or another Florida based ship), then will do two weeks on a Regent ship. Both of these ladies absolutely RAVE about the experience on Regent Seven Seas. The food is fabulous, the service unbelievable, the ports of call are terrific, etc., etc. They admit that they are paying a LOT more for the experience, but believe it is well worth while.

One did a back to back in the Mediterranean this past October, and I believe they paid $7k per person per week.

Archived