Best time to book shore excursions?

sailor602

Hi all,

We're new cruisers with a question :D . We're booked on the Diamond for the Alaskan southern route this June (in a mini - woohoo!), and we've identified some shore excursions that we think would be a lot of fun.

We know we can't book them until after final payment, but we're concerned that if we wait until the actual final payment deadline some of the excursions may be booked. Does anyone have a rule of thumb or string of experiences that guide them in when best to make final payment and book the shore excursions? :confused:

Thanks!

If you see excursions you think you'd like to take, book them as soon as they are available online. You're just reserving them -- they are charged to your onboard account when you board the ship and you have 24 - 48 hours before the tour to cancel.

Talking with our TA, I was under the impression that as soon as I made final payment I'd be able to see and book some of the onshore excursions, but until then I couldn't.

But you're saying that I'll be able to see them online regardless of whether I've made final payment. However I won't be able to book until after final payment. Is that correct?

Ours became available a few weeks ago, and our final payment is not due until January 7th. I am sorry I don't remember exactly how far out they became available, but I didn't want you to wait until final payment before trying as ours was at least a month earlier than final payment.

Talking with our TA, I was under the impression that as soon as I made final payment I'd be able to see and book some of the onshore excursions, but until then I couldn't.

But you're saying that I'll be able to see them online regardless of whether I've made final payment. However I won't be able to book until after final payment. Is that correct?

"It all depends." :) Sometimes, the shore excursions are available before final payment (ours were) and sometimes it's after final payment. For our February cruise, we could make a spa reservation a week before we could book our shore excursions, and that was still a couple of weeks before final payment. I think it depends on the itinerary and ports -- I haven't figured out any other rhyme or reason. Just keep checking your "My Princess" cruise personalizer.

The Princess website says something like 75 to 120 days before you cruise. With final payment due around 90 days, this means you may not see your excursions right away. This was the case with the cruise we are about to leave on.

Of course, we've booked private tours long before Princess made theirs available so it didn't really matter. You've always got that option as well.

Tell your TA that shore excursions are available for online booking as soon as the cruise line (not just Princess) has finalized the arrangements with their tour suppliers.

Check the Princess web site periodically for the tours you're interested in, then book them as soon as they appear. Since Princess doesn't charge until after boarding, many folks book tours if they only think they might take them causing many tours to fill up early.

You might recommend your TA take an occasional cruise. He/she could then give better advice to clients.;)

We're on the Golden in June, and our shore excursions are now available! That's almost 160 befores we sail. And, some of the more popular tours are filling up already. We booked what we wanted earlier today, and were able to get everything set. Good thing I noticed they were available, or we may have been shut-out of some tours! :eek:

Archived