Internet Connection in Cabin

saffercruiser

Can one get a connection in a minisuite? Does anyone know what it costs?

What ship ? So do most don't. All ships have WiFi in public areas. Same cost as the internet cafe.

Time Package Plan:

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

Pay as you go $0.75 per minute

:o er - sorry - just assumed everyone automatically knows I mean the Jewel! (Just because I am bursting with excitement about sailing on 28th Jan - I think EVERYONE should know what I am talking about :rolleyes: ) Anyhow I think that is asked and answered, for which I thank you.

:o er - sorry - just assumed everyone automatically knows I mean the Jewel! (Just because I am bursting with excitement about sailing on 28th Jan - I think EVERYONE should know what I am talking about :rolleyes: ) Anyhow I think that is asked and answered, for which I thank you.

You will have an Ethernet connection in the mini. All cabins on the Jewel and Pearl have internet.

Shoreguy, I've been looking at mini's on the Dawn for next Christmas. When it lists "Internet connection" in the room description, is that a wired or wireless connection?

On the Dawn it is wired but I don't believe that is an option for the mini suites on the Dawn.

Yes, most cabins have the wired port. Though you might be able to get a wireless connection, the wired is preferred in most cases. The uplink connection via satellite is poor at best, so adding a slow wireless connection will not help.

cost is in the $.40 to $.50 per minute. Packages will be available when you board. And by the way, you NOT need to visit the internet cafe to sign up. Just turn your PC on and their signup page will come up.

Yes, most cabins have the wired port. Though you might be able to get a wireless connection, the wired is preferred in most cases. The uplink connection via satellite is poor at best, so adding a slow wireless connection will not help.

cost is in the $.40 to $.50 per minute. Packages will be available when you board. And by the way, you NOT need to visit the internet cafe to sign up. Just turn your PC on and their signup page will come up.

I'm kind of bad with computers. Can you describe the kind of wire I would need to take for the internet connection? :o

We were on the Dream the beginning of December. On the first day there are some internet package specials offered (bonus minutes) for signing up that day. You may want to check it out. We found the connections to be VERY SLOW so the bonus minutes were really a help.

I'm a bit confused about the rates and how this works. I'll be bringing my own notebook with wireless networking on the Jewel. I will also bring a network cable for the cabin in case the wireless isn't working.

So, for those who have done this before, how does the signup work when I turn on wireless networking when I get onboard? Do I choose from a $55 or $100 package and it somehow times how long I am online? Is it the same whether you are wired in the cabin or online?

When researching my next cruise I found out that the Carnival Valor has free internet if you bring a notebook with wireless networking. Of course, that didn't factor into choosing our next cruise, which will be on the Jewel.

I'm a bit confused about the rates and how this works. I'll be bringing my own notebook with wireless networking on the Jewel. I will also bring a network cable for the cabin in case the wireless isn't working.

So, for those who have done this before, how does the signup work when I turn on wireless networking when I get onboard? Do I choose from a $55 or $100 package and it somehow times how long I am online? Is it the same whether you are wired in the cabin or online?

When researching my next cruise I found out that the Carnival Valor has free internet if you bring a notebook with wireless networking. Of course, that didn't factor into choosing our next cruise, which will be on the Jewel.

I know Disney had much cheaper internet than NCL. I wonder if it's just Norwegian who charges so much? Anyway, when you open your browser, you will be directed to sign in (something like your first initial, last name and cabin number) and it will show you the package options. Then everytime you log in you are on a timer. Be sure and log out each time or the service will time you out after so many minutes. You lose some that way. I know on the Majesty I had to type in a code to log out each time. You might want to check on that with the Internet Cafe manager. Have a great cruise. :)

I highly doubt that Carnival ship had FREE internet. Maybe they did not charge to use a computer, but they surely charged for the time. But, that is for another board.

As to what kind of cable to bring - the very same one you use at home, assuming you have high speed cable such as DSL or CABLE. Not the same if you do dialup. Known as a LAN cable, ethernet cable or RJ45 if you want to get technical.

Charge is exactly the same if you are on wired or wireless. You pay per minute that you are connected to THEIR internet connection.

When you turn on your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc), it will then prompt you to sign up for a plan. You decide how many minutes you think you will use. You can buy more, but can not turn in unused minutes.

The connection will be slower than DSL or CABLE, but MAYBE faster than dial up.

I found more information about rates at http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=45.

Those customer service reps need to get their information straight. The Carnival rep told me that Internet access is free if you bring your own wireless enabled notebook. This doesn't jive with other information the I'm finding elsewhere.

Archived