Newbie ? - afraid of heights,should I be afraid of boarding?

poolgirl3

Going on our first cruise later this month on Disney. We booked this cruise because we also have a 7 night cruise booked on Holland America laster this fall. I never thought about it when we booked the trips - but I am afraid of heights. I realize that I won't be able to "go look over the edge" without freaking out :eek: but how do you board a cruise ship. How high off the ground are you? Is it enclosed or open?

Any answers/replys would be greatly appreciated:)

I wouldn't worry about the whole height issue too much. I haven't been on Disney, but the cruise lines that I've travelled with usually have an internal ramp system. The highest you will ever get is seemingly a few feet off the ground as it is a very gradual climb.

Good luck and try to enjoy your cruise.

Charlie

I have a fear of heights also, and never had any problems boarding the ship.

The ramp that you enter the ship on..is HUGE and wide...totally enclosed with windows on the sides. However, the windows are at waist height, therefore you will not be able to see down UNLESS you really go over to the windows and look directly down.

One thing you could do is have your love one's (who you are traveling with) put their arms around you to guide you and just close your eyes while boarding if you think you are getting scared. They can tell you to open yours eyes up right before you need to enter the ship so you will not run the risk of tripping on the door way opening.

Once again....I really don't think you will have any problems at all.

Have a great trip!

I'll think you'll be amazed at how easy boarding the ship is. In most cases there are walkways/easy ramps with rails that lead you directly to the level of the main deck, and you won't have any sensation at being at any particular height or level. In fact, most of the time, unless you look out the windows, you won't even realize you're on a ship - it will just feel like a large, beautifully decorated, open building. The moment you actually enter the ship from the embarkment building/walkway, it will really take your breath away at the size and opulence of the interior of the ship. The first time we cruised, it took us a moment to realize we were actually aboard the vessel.

When you pull into ports and disembark for a shore trip, there is usually an exit ramp (slightly graduated) from one of the lower decks onto the dock, so there's not much height difference there, either.

Even if you go outside on some of the top decks, the bottom part of the outside wall is usually solid with high railing all around the upper part. I think if you just look OUT across the expanse of the beautiful ocean, you will be fine.

Good luck to you and enjoy every minute of your upcoming cruises!

The ramp that you will use to enter the ship is a lot like the jetway that you use to enter an airliner, except that it has windows and is a lot longer. You will be several stories up from the ground, but you will be enclosed and very secure.

I am terrified of heights and won't even stand on a chair. However, boarding has never bothered me. I've never really thought about it maybe because the excitment of actually boarding the ship and the start of my cruise out weighs my fear.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post your replies. It makes me feel so much better.

At least I have an idea of what I'm walking into. Boarding a plane doesn't bother me so I guess I should be fine.

Once again, thanks again!

The jetway descriptions are usually for the embarkation and disembarkation ports. The ports you visit you will normally be going on and off on Deck 4 or 5 depending on the ship. So you will almost be exiting a pier level. Here is a picture of a typical ramp.....

1450859628_TypicalEntrance.JPG.118aa9839231a03284c635a9e9b11068.JPG

Archived