phone calls while in Ports

sundaysmother

Hi,

I'm cruising on the Crown on 1/20/07. (San Juan, St. Thomas,St. Kitts, Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada) and am wondering if there are shops that I can make calls from. I was in Cozumel 2 years ago and they had a shop that had phones in the back that I was able to make a phone call from for about 6.00. I am leaving 4 children at home with a sitter for the very first time and absolutely have to call them!

thanks!

Hi,

I'm cruising on the Crown on 1/20/07. (San Juan, St. Thomas,St. Kitts, Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada) and am wondering if there are shops that I can make calls from. I was in Cozumel 2 years ago and they had a shop that had phones in the back that I was able to make a phone call from for about 6.00. I am leaving 4 children at home with a sitter for the very first time and absolutely have to call them!

thanks!

Your cell phone will work in St Thomas and probably in San Juan too. It's direct dial as a local call.

Arlene

If you have a cell phone, you need to check with your carrier before you leave to make sure there are no roaming or international charges.

There is a thread on the RCCL board from a woman with CIngular who's teenage son wracked up $600 in Cingular bills calling his girlfriend. Neither of them knew there were roaming charges.

The son was also using the ship's cell tower (Cingular at Sea), for the calls, not any of the providers in the ports.

But it is still advisable to verify with your carrier that you have US coverage which will include Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands.

The son was also using the ship's cell tower (Cingular at Sea), for the calls, not any of the providers in the ports.

But it is still advisable to verify with your carrier that you have US coverage which will include Puerto Rico & the US Virgin Islands.

Sprint has it; definitely.

... wondering if there are shops that I can make calls from. I was in Cozumel 2 years ago and they had a shop that had phones in the back that I was able to make a phone call from for about 6.00.
One of the best sources of information about phones in ports is the crew on board, especially if the ship has been doing that itinerary for more than a few weeks. Crew depend on local phones and local internet cafes for keeping in touch with family and friends. They generally know the best places, and there's a lot of collective knowledge on board the ship. It far surpasses what even the most regular passenger can know about a port that they don't live in.

It seems like every time we cruise we think we have the answers for each port with an AT&T card or with some other plan just to get to the port and find it does not work. We get the puported correct access code for each Island with puported explicit instructions just to find it does not work. Wish I had better answers. Collect calls work but they are a furtune (like over $20 per call for even a few minutes)

Archived