Valor alumni... Questions... If you don't mind....

Buddyjay16

Does the Valor have laundry services or can I do my own laundry? How can I find out and if they do how much do they charge? This isn't for dry cleaning, regular laundry. Can I bring my own detergent? I only want to do two loads (if possible to do so)

Everyone complains about the CD. I'm sad about that. We had Steve Cassel on our very first cruise and we loved him. Stinks that we won't enjoy the CD this visit. How are the other entertainers?

Anyone have a photo of the cheapie rooms? Would love to see what they look like!

So I am legally allowed to bring Diet Coke with me? I want to bring a case. I am a HUGE Diet Coke Drinker. (Are the ships carrying Coke products) I could save a bundle by bringing my own case in my luggage. (If I can fit in there) I won't get in trouble for doing this?

So no real advise on how to disembark smoothly eh? We don't have to be anywhere at any specific time as we are going to a hotel and chilling out until the next day. I have been reading stuff and it seems like no matter what it is wait wait wait. Let me ask you this... I did read one review where someone said they sat around and chilled in chairs until almost everyone was off the ship. Is this something we could easily do? I'd rather sit for an 1 1/2 than stand in some long line.

Is the pineapple still plentiful on the breakfast buffet? That was always my favorite food on the ship!

Is there always Iced Tea available 24/7?

Am I right to assume there won't be any all you can eat Crab Legs on the cruise? Never? Never Ever?

Thanks so much for all of your help. When I get home from my January 21st cruise I promise to write reviews and help other Cruise Critic members too. I think it is very generous for you to take the time to help others!

THANK YOU!

Buddyjay16

They do offer Laundry Service buts its a little pricey. But they have washers and dryers available, and I would bring my own detergent incase.

There is really no cheapie rooms most are the same configuration. Keep your expectations on size really low and you will be pleasently surprised. They are perfectly adequte.

You can bring all the diet coke you want in your checked bags. We used to check a full cooler then tip the Room Steward to keep it full of ice. They do serve Coke products onboard. My wife is a heavy DC drinker too and we have stoped bringing it onboard and just get the coke card and use our own drink bottles.

The Disembarktion lines are not that bad. But yes you could wait to be the last.

Tea varies for us ship to ship. THere is Tea but soemtimes not 24/7 if not there will be juice. There is always Tea in the diningroom.

Lots of Pineapple.

Have fun! We are on the Valor the week before you.

If you book one of the ships tours in Miami ie the art deco tour you breeze off the ship first! kill a few hours touring Miami on a nice airconditioned bus, stop at south beach for at least one hour then you get airport transfer all included. We did this last year and I think it was around 40.00 pp It was a nice way to end the cruise. we will be on the same cruise as you , we did the Eastern run last year and loved the ship so much we are sailing on her again. :D

If you book one of the ships tours in Miami ie the art deco tour you breeze off the ship first! kill a few hours touring Miami on a nice airconditioned bus, stop at south beach for at least one hour then you get airport transfer all included. We did this last year and I think it was around 40.00 pp It was a nice way to end the cruise. we will be on the same cruise as you , we did the Eastern run last year and loved the ship so much we are sailing on her again. :D

We were considering the Art Deco tour in April. Can you tell me a little bit about what the tour itself is like? And you only get an hour to explore South Beach? That kinda stinks.:)

Does the Valor have laundry services or can I do my own laundry? How can I find out and if they do how much do they charge? This isn't for dry cleaning, regular laundry. Can I bring my own detergent? I only want to do two loads (if possible to do so)

Everyone complains about the CD. I'm sad about that. We had Steve Cassel on our very first cruise and we loved him. Stinks that we won't enjoy the CD this visit. How are the other entertainers?

Anyone have a photo of the cheapie rooms? Would love to see what they look like!

So I am legally allowed to bring Diet Coke with me? I want to bring a case. I am a HUGE Diet Coke Drinker. (Are the ships carrying Coke products) I could save a bundle by bringing my own case in my luggage. (If I can fit in there) I won't get in trouble for doing this?

So no real advise on how to disembark smoothly eh? We don't have to be anywhere at any specific time as we are going to a hotel and chilling out until the next day. I have been reading stuff and it seems like no matter what it is wait wait wait. Let me ask you this... I did read one review where someone said they sat around and chilled in chairs until almost everyone was off the ship. Is this something we could easily do? I'd rather sit for an 1 1/2 than stand in some long line.

Is the pineapple still plentiful on the breakfast buffet? That was always my favorite food on the ship!

Is there always Iced Tea available 24/7?

Am I right to assume there won't be any all you can eat Crab Legs on the cruise? Never? Never Ever?

Thanks so much for all of your help. When I get home from my January 21st cruise I promise to write reviews and help other Cruise Critic members too. I think it is very generous for you to take the time to help others!

THANK YOU!

Buddyjay16

Valor has both laundry rooms and laundry service. Yes, you can bring your own detergent (check this out: http://www.minimus.biz/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=9). Just avoid the laundry room the afternoon before formal nights...the rooms are tiny and there's a line for people waiting to press their formal night attire. The laundry service, along with others provided or available, will be described in the binders provided in your cabin.

I obviously cruised on Valor a LONG time ago, and from what I saw of the CD (Brett "somebody") on the TV replays of his daily "shows", he was kind of cheesy. But I honestly don't remember seeing him out and about or hearing any announcements "blasted" over the PA system. If you're strategic, a bad CD can be avoided.

I don't know which rooms you mean as "cheapie" rooms, but if you click on the link in my signature, there's pics of 2412, an OV on Main Deck.

I'd just get a Coke card and make it easier on myself.

GOOD LUCK on debarkation. We weren't off the ship until after 12:45. Had to call and change flights while standing in line to get off the damn ship. That was one of the worst parts of the trip (in all actuality, the ONLY other pain was getting ON the ship, LOL, I didn't care for standing in line for an hour and then seeing they had a SEA of seating one floor up in the terminal). We're debating between self-debarking and doing a Carnival post-cruise excursion.

Pineapple is plentiful, iced tea available and I don't even recall seeing crab legs on the menu. ;)

Enjoy the Valor! We loved her and would sail her again in a heartbeat. Hope that helps!

We may have had 2 hours on South Beach sorry my memory is a little foggy. I know we had brunch at one of the cafes on ocean park drive then walked across the street and walked along the beach for a bit. It was Christmas day and the weather was coolish about 65 and very cloudy. We enjoyed the tour the guide talked about Miami's history as we toured the art deco area of the city. They kept all our luggage on the bus and we didn't have to touch it until we finished the tour and arrived at the airport. This year I think we will go to the Bayside Market and possibly do the island queen water tour of the city. The only problem is what to do with our luggage? I have contacted the market and although they do have storeage it will only hold a med. size suitcase. This tour is only $19.00 but I haven't figured out the luggage angle yet. :)

Was on the Valor late Nov.

a) Have the room attendent to empty the mini bar and use it for your drinks

b) The washers and dryers are 2.00 per load, Beware that the dryers are not the best. Over half a load will take two full sycles to get things dry. There are three(3) washers and six (6) dryers. Be careful for when someone is using the ironboard it is easy to bump into it while using the inner washeers and dryers. Had seen a guy get burn on the arm while taking his clothes out of the upper dryer.

c) About thirty min. before the end of self debarking is done go to the theater and wait until they start to move the passangers in wheelchairs out move toward the main door. As soon as this group is on thier way out. They will tell you that you can depart. No waiting for them to call your color code departure. Took us 20 min. to depart ship, get our bags , and was in a taxi.

Paul

I can vouch for the diet coke. We went on Valor in March, and we took an 18-pack of 0.5 liter bottles. No problem at all. It was about the right amount for a week.

You will love all the dining venues on the ship. Unless you are looking for a something more fancy than the fare justifies, you will be richly rewarded!

We may have had 2 hours on South Beach sorry my memory is a little foggy. I know we had brunch at one of the cafes on ocean park drive then walked across the street and walked along the beach for a bit. It was Christmas day and the weather was coolish about 65 and very cloudy. We enjoyed the tour the guide talked about Miami's history as we toured the art deco area of the city. They kept all our luggage on the bus and we didn't have to touch it until we finished the tour and arrived at the airport. This year I think we will go to the Bayside Market and possibly do the island queen water tour of the city. The only problem is what to do with our luggage? I have contacted the market and although they do have storeage it will only hold a med. size suitcase. This tour is only $19.00 but I haven't figured out the luggage angle yet. :)

Can you give me info on where you're looking at storing your luggage at Bayside? Trying to come up with a few plans and "present" them to our cruising companions.:) Thanks.

MamaParrotHead I contacted the island Queen and they said they have no facilities for luggage storage. Then I contacted Bayside Market through the contact link on their homepage and they told me they only had storage for a med. size suitcase. I guess my last option is that we are staying one nite precruise at the Holiday inn across from the Bayside Market I will ask if they would keep our luggage post cruise for half a day while we did the boat tour and walked around the market. Do you have any other ideas ?

Brenda

Thank you to everyone who replied! I was only one Cruise (Carnival) and I couldn't believe when I realized this today that it was 10 years ago in MAY! Gosh I didn't realize it was so long ago! I'm not looking for anything too fancy although I have to admit what I remember WAS fancy for me! ;)

I always think :confused: when I read cruisers complaining about food. I thought the Carnival food I had 10 years ago was amazing. I tried things (I was in my 20's then) I'd never have tried before and was amazed how wonderful it was. I remember the Beef Wellington to be amazing and loved all of the fresh pineapple in the morning. I ate pineapple pineapple pineapple everyday for breakfast! lol! I hope that hasn't changed!

I always hope that they just have fancier taste buds than me! lol!

If you buy a Coke card on the Valor is it unlimited drinks? I'm a huge Diet Coke Drinker! Would I have to carry the dang cup around with me ALL day?! Of course carrying a mini cooler around with diet coke wouldn't much fun either!

THANKS AGAIN!

Buddyjay

And to those of you going on the Valor... Have an awesome time!!!! I'm not sure my cabin #. (I know can you believe it? Carnival sent all of my stuff to my aunts and I have to pick it up on Tuesday!)

asking for the dimensions of the lockers. If that's no go, then we'll either do one of the excursions, or maybe rent a car (problem is, there's 6 of us and I don't know how much a van would run us). I also don't know how much of a PITA it is to get to the rental place, and then how hard it is to find FLL from downtown Miami.

Decsions, decisions. :rolleyes:

Thank you to everyone who replied! I was only one Cruise (Carnival) and I couldn't believe when I realized this today that it was 10 years ago in MAY! Gosh I didn't realize it was so long ago! I'm not looking for anything too fancy although I have to admit what I remember WAS fancy for me! ;)

I always think :confused: when I read cruisers complaining about food. I thought the Carnival food I had 10 years ago was amazing. I tried things (I was in my 20's then) I'd never have tried before and was amazed how wonderful it was. I remember the Beef Wellington to be amazing and loved all of the fresh pineapple in the morning. I ate pineapple pineapple pineapple everyday for breakfast! lol! I hope that hasn't changed!

I always hope that they just have fancier taste buds than me! lol!

If you buy a Coke card on the Valor is it unlimited drinks? I'm a huge Diet Coke Drinker! Would I have to carry the dang cup around with me ALL day?! Of course carrying a mini cooler around with diet coke wouldn't much fun either!

THANKS AGAIN!

Buddyjay

And to those of you going on the Valor... Have an awesome time!!!! I'm not sure my cabin #. (I know can you believe it? Carnival sent all of my stuff to my aunts and I have to pick it up on Tuesday!)

Buddyjay...

You don't have to carry any cup around. You get a card, present it to the server/bartender and they give you a cup of soda on ice. To me, the $44 is worth not having to hassle.

Buddyjay16 you might want to find out what kinds of diet pop are available on the ship as I've seen that some people are bringing cases on board because the ship does not stock what they drink. Sorry I'm not a big soda drinker so i can't tell you if you might have a problem with diet coke or not. MamaParrotHead the lockers are 23 X 16 X 30 I have booked transportation from Tri-County Airport Express to get us from FLL to Miami Bayside and it cost 64.00 plus tip for 4 people they do have larger vehicles check out their site. If we do the water tour I will have tri-county pick us up and take us back to FLL.

Buddyjay,

No worries on the Coke/Diet Coke supply on the ship. I am a huge Diet Coke fan (it just goes so darn well with Jim Beam...) and always go with the soda card. The soda card is for unlimited sodas. The only 'problem' (if you can call it that...) is that I've heard some people have problems getting served when the bartender sees their soda card. Since you prepay the tips for the beverages when you buy the card, they don't get tips on each soda they pour with the card. That apparently makes you 'invisible' to some bartenders. I've never had a problem with that though; just be friendly with the bartenders and they'll usually start pouring your Diet Coke when they see you coming. :D You can purchase an additional travel-type glass with the card (we always do). Hope this helps and enjoy the Valor! I'll be there in April and can't wait! :)

Unlimited?! Weeeeeeeee!!!!:p

Thank you so much! I appreciate the info and Yipee for Carnival to be so kind to serve Coke Products. I have to admit I'm a Coke snob. Pepsi doesn't get it for me. I remember the islands used to have mostly Pepsi products. I hate it when I'm dying of thirst (not that any soda is good for dehydration. lol) and all there is out there is Pepsi!

So I will be figuring on another $44 for my Diet Coke Fix!

Thanks!

Archived