Civitavecchia Car Rental - Any in Port?

Hi everyone,

does anyone know if there are car rental agencies in the port of Civitavecchia? If yes, can you remember their names? We would like to drive around the countryside, instead of going to rome.

Thanks,

Noel

Yes there is an Avis office in the port. Go to Avis website and you will find information not sure how far it is from terminal though about 10-20 minutes walk possibly. It's in Via Settebre xvi I think

We love using Auto Europe,..(lately they are a consolidator for Europcar) but, unless they have changed their policy, they do not deal with one-day rentals. In Civitavecchia you have a few options.. but we tend to favor Europcar or Avis. Keep in mind that the rental companies in this port are all closed on Sundays. We once got Europcar to "move heaven and earth" and agree to deliver a car to the pier on a Sunday (they only charged us $25) when they were closed. However, this was a rental we kept for 18 days so they were willing to go that extra mile. For this favor, we will always try to use this agency.

Hank

Hank

Last year, I do remember that one couple from the Noordam rented a car for the day. They were able to drop it off in Rome as the ship finished its cruise in Civitavecchia and they were not returning.

They managed to organize it on the morning of our disembarkation.

Hope this helps.

Jennie

Thanks for all the info!!

We will have an extended visit to Rome before the cruise and would like to visit one or two small tuscan villages on the day we dock in Civitavecchia.

Thanks again!!

Noel

Noel, could you please let us know how this works out for you? Next year we're flying into Florence and spending a week in Tuscany prior to our Med cruise. I would like to be able to pick up the car in Florence & drop it off in Civitavecchia.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
We love using Auto Europe,..(lately they are a consolidator for Europcar) but, unless they have changed their policy, they do not deal with one-day rentals. In Civitavecchia you have a few options.. but we tend to favor Europcar or Avis. Keep in mind that the rental companies in this port are all closed on Sundays. We once got Europcar to "move heaven and earth" and agree to deliver a car to the pier on a Sunday (they only charged us $25) when they were closed. However, this was a rental we kept for 18 days so they were willing to go that extra mile. For this favor, we will always try to use this agency.

Hank

Hank

Hank,

I have a question as to how you arranged this. We want to pick up a car from Europcar (not on a Sunday) and would love to have them have the car waiting for us at the port.

I checked on a map that Europcar is not that far from the port and I guess we could walk, but we are traveling with my parents and the walk w/ luggage would be a bit much for them.

If my husband and I walked over and picked up the car would we be able to get back into the port area to pick them up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Joni

Foxy, We are actually getting off of a ship in Civatavecchia in early May (not on a Sunday) and have reserved a car (for 2 weeks) from Europcar via AutoEurope (we love this outfit). Previously, when we picked up cars at this port, the local Europcar franchise would deliver our car right to the pier (they would wait with a sign for us) and do the paperwork on the pier. However, this time we were told that Europcar has moved to a location close to the port and does not normally deliver. We will have autoeurope send a reminder to the local franchisee when we get closer to our trip and hope they will at least pick us up on the pier. The problem is at that particular port its quite a hike from the ship to the port entrance...and although we often do this on a port stop (when we walk to the train station) we do not want to make this hike with all of our luggage. Worst case would be that I would walk to the car rental dealer and come back for my wife and luggage. As to the area around Civitavecchia, we spent some time exploring this region and its Etruscian ruins and honestly were not very impressed...particularly when compared to the rest of Italy. I really appreciate Vitalla's posts and wish we had his advice on our previous trips to his region.

Hank

Foxy, We are actually getting off of a ship in Civatavecchia in early May (not on a Sunday) and have reserved a car (for 2 weeks) from Europcar via AutoEurope (we love this outfit). Previously, when we picked up cars at this port, the local Europcar franchise would deliver our car right to the pier (they would wait with a sign for us) and do the paperwork on the pier. However, this time we were told that Europcar has moved to a location close to the port and does not normally deliver. We will have autoeurope send a reminder to the local franchisee when we get closer to our trip and hope they will at least pick us up on the pier. The problem is at that particular port its quite a hike from the ship to the port entrance...and although we often do this on a port stop (when we walk to the train station) we do not want to make this hike with all of our luggage. Worst case would be that I would walk to the car rental dealer and come back for my wife and luggage. As to the area around Civitavecchia, we spent some time exploring this region and its Etruscian ruins and honestly were not very impressed...particularly when compared to the rest of Italy. I really appreciate Vitalla's posts and wish we had his advice on our previous trips to his region.

Hank

Thanks for the update Hank. We have booked a van from Europcar via webcarhire.com - got a great price. We are a family of 5 consisting of my son (18), husband and my parents (80s). The hike to the car office will be too much for my parents I'm sure. My husband and I think we could leave the port and then pick up the van, but my husband is worried we will not be allowed back into the port area for security reasons to pick up my son and parents.

We are planning on spending the night before the cruise in Civitavecchia and plan on visiting the Europcar office to try and make a plan on getting them to pick us up at the port. My father thinks we can just take a taxi, but I'm sure they will be looking for a bigger fare than a few blocks. We were their in 2001 and took a cab into Rome, and no one can really remember the town of Civitavecchia.

Just curious what ship are you sailing on? We will be on the ms Noordam which leaves and returns to Civitavecchia.

Joni

PS. The address we got for Europcar is Via Tarquinia, 19/27 - is that what you got from AutoEurope?

I am sorry that I did not know about this board earlier .

The unknown is a scary place (I've lived in Moscow and other difficult places) .

I can fully understand why the environs of Civitavecchia can be difficult to understand and "not impressive" unless the traveler has done some background study or has the appropriate information beforehand.

The "exclusive" (and expensive) homogenized tours offered by the cruise lines do not do justice to the area, that I've written several books about since I moved here in 1993.

Feel free to browse my website ***** and ask me specific questions. By the way, Vetralla is a woman.

Archived