Only AFT left on Zuiderdam

Hello,

I'm thrilled, but equally perplexed.

I sailed in a VA aft on the Zuiderdam two years ago (cabin 6165). Fell in love with the Aft locations and the massive balconies! I've always felt (and read) that the aft balconies on the Vista Class are a premium. Sure, some people prefer side balconies for the privacy; but there are so many of us who love the Aft that you'd think these would be the first to sell out in terms of simple supply and demand.

Just for giggles I started looking at booking the Zuiderdam for the April Easter sailing last night. Low and behold, the ONLY VA cabins left are AFT and there are several available on each deck!

Don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have been able to secure a prime VA Aft (5181) this late in the game for a very busy Easter sailing; but I find it odd that (what I consider) prime cabins are the ONLY ones left!

Only thing I can figure is a large wholesaler reserved all the aft cabins and then recently released them. Anyone else have ideas?? Or, has it been your experience that you can book AFT cabins pretty much anytime?

Just looking for your thoughts :)

Cheryl

Hello,

I'm thrilled, but equally perplexed.

I sailed in a VA aft on the Zuiderdam two years ago (cabin 6165). Fell in love with the Aft locations and the massive balconies! I've always felt (and read) that the aft balconies on the Vista Class are a premium. Sure, some people prefer side balconies for the privacy; but there are so many of us who love the Aft that you'd think these would be the first to sell out in terms of simple supply and demand.

Just for giggles I started looking at booking the Zuiderdam for the April Easter sailing last night. Low and behold, the ONLY VA cabins left are AFT and there are several available on each deck!

Don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have been able to secure a prime VA Aft (5181) this late in the game for a very busy Easter sailing; but I find it odd that (what I consider) prime cabins are the ONLY ones left!

Only thing I can figure is a large wholesaler reserved all the aft cabins and then recently released them. Anyone else have ideas?? Or, has it been your experience that you can book AFT cabins pretty much anytime?

Just looking for your thoughts :)

Cheryl

we're aft on the April 7 sailing...VA8124. Booked cabin quite a while ago since we like aft and wanted a guaranteed cabin. HAL currently has a "sale" going on...but it appears the aft cabins are NOT up for grabs on the sale. (we're taking Sis and family and tried to upgrade them but the VA wasn't available).

And yes, the aft cabins have the positives and the negatives...but since we are early risers...being below the pool area wasn't a problem (they start setting up the lounges VERY early and it makes noise below). So if you are a "sleep-in" type cruiser...you may not want an aft!

If you are on the Z sailing of April 7...there's a thread established...so please join us!

we're aft on the April 7 sailing...VA8124. Booked cabin quite a while ago since we like aft and wanted a guaranteed cabin. HAL currently has a "sale" going on...but it appears the aft cabins are NOT up for grabs on the sale. (we're taking Sis and family and tried to upgrade them but the VA wasn't available).

And yes, the aft cabins have the positives and the negatives...but since we are early risers...being below the pool area wasn't a problem (they start setting up the lounges VERY early and it makes noise below). So if you are a "sleep-in" type cruiser...you may not want an aft!

If you are on the Z sailing of April 7...there's a thread established...so please join us!

Hi Seasime!

We were almost neighbors, as I briefly debated about taking 8130 on the Aft but we are sun people and don't care too much about the privacy issues so we went with Deck 5. Like I said, we LOVED 6165 on the aft two years ago, so I was very excited to be able to book an aft this late.

I was able to secure VA5181 on the 'view' sale (so we are semi-neighbors still :)). Price came out to $1,179 pp (no insurance or air but that includes all taxes) and we do get an additional $150.00 per person ship board credit and a few other perks (bottle of wine, photo, etc...) so I'm very happy with the booking. But, I'm not sure how much the 'view' sale technically played into this price, since the price isn't far off what I was quoted in October without the sale.

Not sure why you weren't able to get the 'view' sale on a VA aft cabin. You might want to double check? I do know that there are PLENTY of VAaft cabins still available (8130, 5185, 4176, 4178, etc..) for the April 7th sailing.

I'll come join you in the roll call :)

Cheryl

I would think it is hard to get away during holidays for some.. maybe why the sale?

Naw, that's not it :(

As someone who works in Education and who has been 'forced' to travel every Easter for the last 15 years, I can say without a doubt that Easter is the second busiest (and expensive) time of the year to travel (Christmas/New Years is the busiest).

It doesn't surprise me that cabins are still available at a sale price (as I typically book Easter land and cruise vacations in January); but what surprises me is that ONLY VAaft cabins are available and that there are so many of them!

Cheryl :)

Hi All

We booked a balcony guarantee and was given an aft cabin. We were excited about having a 23ft balcony, (is there really no privacy?)

TA called today and told us we could update to an S cabin for $600. We think we will stay with the aft cabin and use that money for more excursions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Irv

I personally love the aft cabins!

I'm going to assume you are in a VA? We were in 6165 on the Zuiderdam a few years ago and fell in love! It's very true, unless you are on deck 8 (which is completely covered by the lido pool area) there is minimal privacy. The trade off with choosing on aft cabin on deck 8 is that while you get privacy, there is no sun. Deck 7 would be the most easily viewed by fellow passengers, followed by decks 6, 5, and 4.

Decks 5 and 6 are the largest in the VA Aft and offer 2 chaise lounge chairs. Deck 4, 7, and 8 are still PLENTY big, but only have one chaise lounge. Each of the aft balcony cabins have 2 small chairs, an arm chair with ottoman, and a small table.

Upgrading to a S category on the aft gives you a MASSIVE wrap around balcony. Were they guaranteeing you an Aft "S"?? That is a fabulous cabin indeed!

If it were up to me, I'd take a VAaft over a S (not aft); but I have no issues with privacy and like the fact that I can sun myself on deck without having to take a chair by the pool. There are downsides to aft balconies mentioned in plenty of threads; but personally, we had minimal 'debris' float down on our last Aft and will gladly trade off privacy for space any day. Plus, there is something simply magical about watching the wake :).

Here's a link to a photo I took on my last Zuiderdam cruise. The balcony with the empty chair and towel is cabin 6165. I took this photo from a public area, so you can see that privacy is definitely lacking. You can't see deck 8 in this photo because it is directly underneath where I was standing for the picture (thus offering privacy and shade). But, you can easily see how exposed deck 7 and 6 are. If you look at the deck plans from HAL, and work off this photo you can pretty much figure out what the balconies look like on the majority of VA aft cabins:

http://chris-n-cheryl.com/images/logo/AftBalconies.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Cheryl

Hi Seasime!

We were almost neighbors, as I briefly debated about taking 8130 on the Aft but we are sun people and don't care too much about the privacy issues so we went with Deck 5. Like I said, we LOVED 6165 on the aft two years ago, so I was very excited to be able to book an aft this late.

I was able to secure VA5181 on the 'view' sale (so we are semi-neighbors still :)). Price came out to $1,179 pp (no insurance or air but that includes all taxes) and we do get an additional $150.00 per person ship board credit and a few other perks (bottle of wine, photo, etc...) so I'm very happy with the booking. But, I'm not sure how much the 'view' sale technically played into this price, since the price isn't far off what I was quoted in October without the sale.

Not sure why you weren't able to get the 'view' sale on a VA aft cabin. You might want to double check? I do know that there are PLENTY of VAaft cabins still available (8130, 5185, 4176, 4178, etc..) for the April 7th sailing.

I'll come join you in the roll call :)

Cheryl

the "no sun" isn't an issue for us...we'll be getting plenty of sun during the cruise...and do like the privacy (I like to sleep out on the verandah). we like the aft because it provides great views when leaving port. and of course the extra space! I do know that cabins aft on 8 do have

'early morning noise" with prepping the pool area...but we are early risers.

will look for you on the roll call board.

Cass

Thanks Cheryl - It is just an S gurantee which means it can be just a larger room with no other services - however it could be an SA with all the perks,

We are going to be on the Veranda deck, which looks like one deck below the one you stayed in.

At the moment we are going to follow your advice and stay with the VA Aft cabin, If they are willing to upgrade for less we would consider changing our minds.

The picture was much aprreciated, It looks lke you can only be seen by other aft cabins and not by anyone walking around,

Thanks again for your advice

Thanks Cheryl - It is just an S gurantee which means it can be just a larger room with no other services - however it could be an SA with all the perks,

We are going to be on the Veranda deck, which looks like one deck below the one you stayed in.

At the moment we are going to follow your advice and stay with the VA Aft cabin, If they are willing to upgrade for less we would consider changing our minds.

The picture was much aprreciated, It looks lke you can only be seen by other aft cabins and not by anyone walking around,

Thanks again for your advice

Hi Irv,

I just want to be clear because I don't want you to be disappointed. The Avt balconies on the Verahanda deck (5) can be seen by anyone who walks up to the rail at the Lido pool. The pic I took was from a public area. I was standing at the rail by the pool looking down. So, to say "it looks like you can only be seen by other aft cabins and not by anyone walking around" is really not true. Those standing at the rail can VERY clearly see deck 6 and 7. Deck 5 is better but certainly visable. I could even 'see' people on deck 4 (although not that well).

Again, just for clarification; the cabin with the Empty towel on the lounger is cabin 6165. You'll be one deck below that cabin, but as you can see in the picture; if someone was laying in that empty lounge chair they would still be pretty visiable from the public deck. Here's the link again:

http://www.chris-n-cheryl.com/images/logo/AftBalconies.jpg

With that being said, I've personally placed a 'do not upgrade' on my VAAft 5181. I'd rather have that aft with larger balcony than a suite on the side :-).

Hope that helps to clarify,

Cheryl

We were in Zuiderdam's 5180 and 5181, and they are about 9" narrower than the other VAs. It might not seem like much of a difference, but there's an issue with the closet doors and bathroom door that was annoying. Other than that, the views and sun are awesome!

Photo links are in my sig below...

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- booking Zuidy 8

I have the choice of 5187 or 4180 on Westerdam. Which one and why? Travelling with wife and 5 year old son. My parents are in 4185. So we can either be on the opposite corner or a deck above. Give me your input. Especially interested in square footage differences. Thanks.

We were in Zuiderdam's 5180 and 5181, and they are about 9" narrower than the other VAs. It might not seem like much of a difference, but there's an issue with the closet doors and bathroom door that was annoying. Other than that, the views and sun are awesome!

Photo links are in my sig below...

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- booking Zuidy 8

I have the choice of 5187 or 4180 on Westerdam. Which one and why? Travelling with wife and 5 year old son. My parents are in 4185. So we can either be on the opposite corner or a deck above. Give me your input. Especially interested in square footage differences. Thanks.

I am not Candy but I can answer your question. Take 5187, that cabin is actually the largest in inside sq ft than any of the other aft corner cabins. Plus it has one of the largest balconies. Definitely the best bang for the buck. 5187 and 4180 has the same cabin lay out the deck 4 cabin is ever so slightly smaller. In October 2005 we had friends that were in 4185 and we were in 5187 so we could compare the cabins.

We will be in 5187 again this coming March and we have friends (both CC members) that will be in 4180 and 4185:)

My wife thought it would be nice as we would be in the same area and our son could easily go back and forth between our cabins. Although it would be fun to bug the grandparents from above. We were on the Zuiderdam 4180 in December. Love it - even with the window washing machine. Are we talking an appreciable difference in cabin area and balcony area. If we are then I'm changing. Give me some more details please. Thanks in advance.

I am not Candy but I can answer your question. Take 5187, that cabin is actually the largest in inside sq ft than any of the other aft corner cabins. Plus it has one of the largest balconies. Definitely the best bang for the buck. 5187 and 4180 has the same cabin lay out the deck 4 cabin is ever so slightly smaller. In October 2005 we had friends that were in 4185 and we were in 5187 so we could compare the cabins.

We will be in 5187 again this coming March and we have friends (both CC members) that will be in 4180 and 4185:)

Take Lisa's cabin (5187)... interior is about the same size, but the veranda is MUCH bigger.

Candy <-- doesn't even mind walking aaalllllll the way to the Neptune Lounge

Candy - how much bigger is the veranda - are we talking twice or what? We were on Zuiderdam - 7th deck - port side. Can't remember the number but that seemed larger than 4180 in December. Are we talking even bigger than 7 deck? Also - will we like Westerdam as much as Zuiderdam. I know it's newer but we so love Zuiderdam. Clue me in on some differenced if you can. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Take Lisa's cabin (5187)... interior is about the same size, but the veranda is MUCH bigger.

Candy <-- doesn't even mind walking aaalllllll the way to the Neptune Lounge

• 1 month later...

Archived