sun penthouse suite / aft vs. forward

gso

My family and I are going on our first NCL cruise. Our two previous cruises were on Carnival. We have never had a suite, but since our boys are bigger we need more room. We booked penthouse suite cat AD. I have been reading a lot of posts on other sites with negative comments regarding the forward penthouse suites. Many say aft is so much better.

It looks to me like the balcony is bigger in front suites AD. I would appreciate any info on the suites. Thank you.:)

My family and I are going on our first NCL cruise. Our two previous cruises were on Carnival. We have never had a suite, but since our boys are bigger we need more room. We booked penthouse suite cat AD. I have been reading a lot of posts on other sites with negative comments regarding the forward penthouse suites. Many say aft is so much better.

It looks to me like the balcony is bigger in front suites AD. I would appreciate any info on the suites. Thank you.:)

We LOVE forward and a suite:)

What time of year are you sailing?

An aft AC suite would be much better suited for a family than a forward facing AD. We were in a forward suite on the SUN for the first time and were booked in the same one on another cruise but changed to the aft. You are unable to keep your drapes open after dark if you have any lights on in the cabin. Since we entertained a lot before dinner, this got to be a real problem. The aft suites also have two separate rooms with a a door in between where there is no division in the forward suites.

We LOVE forward and a suite:)

What time of year are you sailing?

My family feels the same way. :)

We had an AD (8202) on the Sun, and the steward said it had the biggest balcony on the ship. I have no idea if it's true but the balcony was great. We had it in January of last year and loved it. :)

We were on the Sun last March and stayed in the AA cabin which has a jacuzzi on the balcony. The problem with the cabins with the balcony facing the front(I am not good with the proper terms) of the ship is that frequently when you are at sea, the wind is so strong that we could not use it.

We had this same problem on the Spirit to Alaska. We had the front corner room so we had both a side and a front balcony, but the wind was so strong that the front one could not be used at sea.

:)

We were on the Sun last March and stayed in the AA cabin which has a jacuzzi on the balcony. The problem with the cabins with the balcony facing the front(I am not good with the proper terms) of the ship is that frequently when you are at sea, the wind is so strong that we could not use it.

We had this same problem on the Spirit to Alaska. We had the front corner room so we had both a side and a front balcony, but the wind was so strong that the front one could not be used at sea.

:)

The above poster is right, we had 8202 which has the largest deck on the Sun, but it was almost impossible to stand there when you are under way. One thing that we did not like is the solid steel rail, you have stand up to see over it. We are going back on the Sun in March and we are going to change that to an aft AC. You will really enjoy the Sun.

The point about wind in the forward penthouse is valid. We got lucky on our cruise and the weather was very agreeable. I loved walking out in the morning to see where we were, and it was especially wonderful on port days. Also, I have kids so you have to weigh the whole, "I'm the king of the world!" aspect, too. ;) :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are sailing on March 25 this year. I hope the weather is good (not too much wind). We are excited about the ports. We have only been to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Caymen in the past. What are the opinions of booking shore excursions not through the ship. In the past we have only booked through the ship. However for this cruise I went on line and researched options. There are a lot more options for families with children on line as opposed to the ships choices. I know there are more risks as well. Has anyone had experience with these. My boys are 13 and 9. It seems all the good choices are restricted to 12 and older through the ship. The same excusions on line put age restrictions at 8 or 10.

I am new to this board. Please explain roll call:)

At the top click boards then scroll down to Rollcall-NCL. click on the ship your on ( SUN ) and look for your sail date. 3/25/07 .. you will find us there..

mpk

Archived