PV and the Star ?'s

mattR

The Stars arrival time says 9am is this the actual time in PV or is it 10am?

Dose the Star dock in PV (Diamond Princess) also in port that day?

All times listed on itineraries are the local time of the location of the port.

For example, if a ship left New Orleans at 8:00 a.m., that would be Central Time and it that same itinerary said the ship would stop in Miami at 8:00 a.m. the next day, they are now talking about Eastern time.

I can't say that I'm 100% on this one, but I am pretty darn sure that the itinerary times are "Ship Time" not "Local Time." Most of the time these are the same (because the Ships adjust their clocks as they move to a different time zone), but in the case of the Star in the Mexican Rivera, Ship Time and Local Time are different, probably because the Ship travels through two time zone changes.

I have sailed on the Star and know for certain that when you leave LA the Ship moves clocks ahead 1 hour to Mountain Time (from Pacific Time) and does not again adjust the clocks until the return to LA. So Ship Time is always Mountain Time, except on the first and last day of the cruise (when near LA).

PV is on Central Time. Therefore when the ship is in PV it is one hour later on the land than on the Ship - 9:00am on the Ship is 10:00am on the shore.

So if the itineraries are on Ship Time, as I believe they are, then it will be 10:00am in PV when you arrive (9:00am on the Star).

All times listed on itineraries are the local time of the location of the port.

For example, if a ship left New Orleans at 8:00 a.m., that would be Central Time and it that same itinerary said the ship would stop in Miami at 8:00 a.m. the next day, they are now talking about Eastern time.

The day after the Star leave Los Angeles you will move your clocks ahead one hour. You will not change your clocks again. This is ship time. However, it is not the local time. PV is two hours ahead of Los Angeles, so you will be one hour behind. PV can dock two ships. The Diamond Princess will be docked. Nonetheless, I am not sure if the Star will dock or not (there is not a lot of room in the harbor - see the photo below).

You can read my review of my cruise on the Star if you want (it is long - about 19 typed pages) by clicking on the link below ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13327

WITW-X.jpg

PuertoVallartamarina.jpg

The Star docked in Puerto Vallarta during the Jan. 1 cruise. No other ships in port. Last Jan. we tendered in P V. I've heard the dock is owned by Carnival and they have first priority. But they are building 2 new docks in P V.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived