Hawaii Clothes Help

Gary & Judy

Hi Gary and Judy:

In my book, Hawaii has the world's perfect climate: not too hot, not too cold, nice ocean breezes, and the passing showers which keep it all green. Each island has a wet side and a dry side, but the clothing on both sides remains the same: quite casual! Shorts and slippers (flip flops or sandals) during the day, and maybe khaki slacks with an aloha shirt in the evening for men, and a simple dress or skirt in the evening for women. (Maybe a shawl or cardigan in the evening if you think you'll need it).

Average daily highs in February are around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and the lows in the evening average about 69 degrees F. You might get some clouds and some rain, but neither should last for very long.

Mary (Aloha Pride) lives in Hawaii, and I'm sure if she sees this post, she will reply with really first hand information:)

Karin

We have been to Hawaii for the past three years and love it. In fact we now have a Villa on Kauai. Shorts and summer wear are fine but you also have some evenings that get cool so sweater and slacks work. Keep in mind what type excursions you have signed up for. For instance, on the Big Island and Maui you can go up to some mountains that are over 10,000 feet and the temperatures can be freezing and yes there is snow on the ground. Two years agao in March we were at the Big Island at Mauna Loa and we needed a jacket and sweater. In fact, we started a fire that night in the fireplace at the B&B we stayed at. You can mainly pack for great weather but a couple of jeans, sweater, and wind breaker would take care of you. Some helicopter tours have open doors so that gets really cool. Number one, most of the excursions and tours tell you what the proper dress should be. Aloha and Mahalo

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from trip to Hawaii on Sat (1/20). Trip over and back was chilly. Days were overcast and windy. I would suggest bringing a pair or two of long cotten pants to wear around the ship on the cooler days. Also, a light weight jacket to walk out on the deck. Islands were very nice. Rain in Hilo, but it always rains in Hilo. Hilo was about 75 during the day. Oahu in the low 80s as was Lahina and Kona.

We took way to many clothes considering they have self-service laundrys on the ship and they also offer the $12 per bag laundry. The bags were very large, much larger than what I have seen on the other ships.

So, I guess to answer your question - take a little bit of everything, but you can leave your heavy winter jacket, hat and gloves at home. Haha

Thanks, Karin, for the honorable mention!! :)

Let me see...what do I usually wear in February? Oh, that's right, the same things I wear year round! Duh :p

j/k

If I were you, I would pack a couple pairs of jeans (for shore excursions) along with t-shirts. DON'T pack anything white that you want to be able to wear again (well, don't wear anything white off the ship anyways) and don't allow any females traveling with you to wear white tops. It rains in February but it's usually not long enough to even carry an umbrella. In fact, we know who the tourists are by the fact that it's overcast and they are carrying an umbrella because if it rains, it wont rain for long. Another reason is the fact that the iron in the lava has rusted over the years causing the islands to be COVERED in RED DIRT! This stuff STAINS and stains BAD!! It's everywhere!

You wont really need a heavy jacket, but a wind breaker might work. Or your favorite team's sweatshirt might be good (so sad the Pats lost yesterday:rolleyes: )

Bathing suits are a must, but if you forget to pack them, no worries. I suggest Hilo Hatties for cheap but nice aloha attire. But if you want the designer stuff - Reyn's- kinda expensive. You even get lei when you visit Hilo Hatties (although its the shell kind). It's awesome that HAL gives the passengers lei also for the "Hawaiian Night."

In general, the average person just wears - jeans or shorts, a t-shirt, and slippers. At night, my DH wears jeans and a polo shirt and I wear a sun dress. Usually dark colors on your bottoms (because you sit on stuff that might have red dirt) and whatevers on top.

I apologize for jumping all over the place and for this post not being entirely easy to follow.

If you have any specific questions, my email is mhirose at chaminade dot edu.

Take care, have fun, and BON VOYAGE!!

:D :D

best advice for anyone crusing to Hawaii and back is to take clothing you can layer and mix and match. as someone has already posted, the Pacific Ocean is cool (right now here in San Diego it is 58degrees)so the trip over and back for the first several days going and the last several coming back, you will find sweaters/windbreakers comfortable when you are on deck. Remember, the ship will be traveling at speed so you will always feel a cool breeze, and frankly the a/c on the ships tends to be very cool in some areas. for that reason take a wrap or shawl to wear in the dining room at dinner if you are wearing a sleeveless or strapless gown. Have a good cruise; we did it last year in late Jan/early Feb and then continued on to Tahiti and back here :)

Archived