Kids in Dining Room

I was wondering if kids in the dining room have to order only off the kids menu. I ask because often I don't like my 10yr olf brother to eat off the kids menu, as it is usually unhealthy and unbalanced. I'd rather him be able to order off the adults menu, so he can at least eat something a little more balanced (fruits and veggies anyone?), plus the kid loves his lobster.:rolleyes:

Sure, kids can order off the regular menu. A couple of thoughts though. You are on vacation, so perhaps a few "unhealthy and unbalanced" meals wouldn't be amiss. I don't eat a decadent chocolate goody or a rich fruit and ice cream dessert every night when we're at home, but I do eat dessert most nights on vacation. I don't drink more than a glass of wine in the evening at home, but I've been known to have a before dinner drink, a glass of wine (or two) with dinner, and then a nightcap before bed when we're on vacation. You get the idea.

It's admirable that you are concerned for your (I assume) younger brother's health, but I suggest that you might want to ease up a bit on vacation. Besides, most younger siblings would not appreciate being lectured to or scolded by their older siblings...You know, the old "you can't tell me what to do" thing.

In any case, he will be happy to know that lobster is available (just not every night), as well as all kinds of delicious other goodies--not all of them healthy were you to eat them every day.

beachchick

When our kids were younger, they would go back and forth with the kids menus and regular menu. It just depended on what was on the regular menu that evening. Sometimes, the food sounds so foreign because of the exotic names. Just ask the server to describe the sauces and vegetables in plainer detail.

If it were me, I'd have the talk with your brother before you ever leave on vacation, to get him thinking. Then, leave him alone during dinner, no one enjoys listening to families bickering in public. He's old enough to make his own choices.

Sure, the kids can order salads, fruits, all sorts of good stuff from the adult menu. But IMHO a cruise is a perfect place to encourage your kids to be adventuresome eaters! They can order something new, and if they don't like it they can go back to the kids menu.

And, heck, it is a big event for them -- go ahead and LET them order two desserts!!

;)

No problem at all ordering from the adult menu.

I totally agree with your opinions of kids menus! I think many kids menus are an insult to kids who have developed a good taste palate and want to eat good healthy food.

My boys (almost 13 and 15 years) have been eaten off adult menus for years, since about 7 or 8 years old. I would much rather they ate just half or even a third of a decent adult meal than some of the junk that passes for meals on the kids menus. They now are both very adventurous with their food (more so than me!) the 12 year old enjoyed lobster and escargot for the first time on our recent cruise. We also took them to Portofinos which they particularly enjoyed. They will try anything once and are healthy eaters, along with the usual cake, icecream etc!

My son ordered off the adult and kiddie menu our first cruise. My dd is 3, and I plan on letting her have a say in what she may like for dinner. She loves salmon, so I imagine she will be ordering off the "big girl meniu" for that treat! So sweet that you are concerned about your younger sibling. Does a mommy's heart good to see that! :)

Our son is 7 years old.....he usually orders something like pizza or macaroni and cheese from the kids menu just to be safe....but he also eats a salad with us and he will try an appetizer if it looks good...

He found he loves shrimp cocktail (Mommy has to eat hers fast or he starts to eye mine too!), spring rolls, and calmari....things he likely never would have tried at home...

Plus if my son gets full before he finishes his macaroni and cheese, it mysteriously disappears around my husband :D

Thanks you guys.

By no means do I tell him what to eat actually, he's always been a great eater (he likes all kinds of foods, especially veggies) and he wanted to try some new things ever since I told him I ate duck and escargot on my last cruise. He honestly doesn't really like to eat off the kids menu anywhere, and at some restaurants that is a problem.

And he already plans on eating tons and tons of desserts.

No problem at all ordering from the adult menu.

I totally agree with your opinions of kids menus! I think many kids menus are an insult to kids who have developed a good taste palate and want to eat good healthy food.

My boys (almost 13 and 15 years) have been eaten off adult menus for years, since about 7 or 8 years old. I would much rather they ate just half or even a third of a decent adult meal than some of the junk that passes for meals on the kids menus. They now are both very adventurous with their food (more so than me!) the 12 year old enjoyed lobster and escargot for the first time on our recent cruise. We also took them to Portofinos which they particularly enjoyed. They will try anything once and are healthy eaters, along with the usual cake, icecream etc!

And to think that we've all been worrying about excess drinking on the ships!

What we should be worried about is CANNIBALISM!

:D

Merion Mom. How petty of you to pick up on someone's grammar. Is this how you would help your children to improve their writing?

Welcome to Cruise Critic, roszel. Please pick up your complimentary sense of humor at the door on your way in.

:)

Archived