A couple of question about Alaska on NCL

Travel Lover

We are doing Alaska on the Pearl this summer thru NCL.

I was wondering if anyone had done their combo of Mendenhal Glacier and whale watching? If so, what I am wanting to know is how long did you get to actually stay at the glacier? I mean did you have time to take pictures and walk around. Or did they practically just drive by it?

Also am I looking in the right section for booking the excursions? When I look to book them they say they are not available yet but coming soon. Is this the right place? I mean we are only talking about 4 months away. They have other cruise excursions for summer time up. I just wanted to make sure there was not another link that I should be looking to book excursions and then miss out.

Our experience in Alaska last Aug was we took the NCL excursion for Whale Watching only and on the way back, the driver stopped at the Mendenhal Glacier for us since we had time. We stayed about 15 minutes which gave people time to walk up closer to see and take pictures. It was a great tour. :)

We are doing Alaska on the Pearl this summer thru NCL.

I was wondering if anyone had done their combo of Mendenhal Glacier and whale watching? If so, what I am wanting to know is how long did you get to actually stay at the glacier? I mean did you have time to take pictures and walk around. Or did they practically just drive by it?

I was on the Star in 2005 to Alaska on the same itinerary that the Pearl is doing this summer.

The Alaska shore excursions usually come up around late February. (at least they did in 2005).

Glacier Bay is incredible. No explanation can do it justice.

We did the combo tour and it was my favorite while in Alaska. They can do it in either order but on ours, we went to the Glacier first. We got to the glacier area and the bus dropped us off. I think we had about an hour or so at the glacier. We were able to walk up to the glacier edge and then had time to go up to the museum/visitors center/gift shop. Even had time to see a short film on the glacier. Some others took the trail that leads to the main part of the glacier.

We had a great whale watching tour. We got to see both Orcas and humpbacks, which our guide on the boat said is very rare because they don't like to be in the same vacinity of each other. We also got to see otters, sea lions, eagles, and some other wildlife.

A great tour!

As far as that tour is concerned, I don't have much in the way of information, but to add a note to one of the reply's, you can log into your reservation on-line and book your Alaska excursions already. I'm headed there in August on the Pearl and I booked them before New Year's. Good luck with whichever tour you decide on and Happy Cruising :)

Thank you all. I booked that tour...

I am so glad you told me to go in and register and then it did let me book shore excursions.... I was going into where it said to book them online but it says coming soon... I am glad I asked and found out to look somewhere else.

I was on the Star in 2005 to Alaska on the same itinerary that the Pearl is doing this summer.

The Alaska shore excursions usually come up around late February. (at least they did in 2005).

Glacier Bay is incredible. No explanation can do it justice.

We did the combo tour and it was my favorite while in Alaska. They can do it in either order but on ours, we went to the Glacier first. We got to the glacier area and the bus dropped us off. I think we had about an hour or so at the glacier. We were able to walk up to the glacier edge and then had time to go up to the museum/visitors center/gift shop. Even had time to see a short film on the glacier. Some others took the trail that leads to the main part of the glacier.

We had a great whale watching tour. We got to see both Orcas and humpbacks, which our guide on the boat said is very rare because they don't like to be in the same vacinity of each other. We also got to see otters, sea lions, eagles, and some other wildlife.

A great tour!

Was the whale watching tour through NCL on a bigger boat with lots of people? I thought I remember people complaining that there were so many people (like 100 or so) that it was hard to take pictures. Do you have any pictures posted of this excursion you went on?

We want to do the whale watching in Juneau but it seems like Captain Larry is more highly recommended than the ship's excursion. Any comments?

Was the whale watching tour through NCL on a bigger boat with lots of people? I thought I remember people complaining that there were so many people (like 100 or so) that it was hard to take pictures. Do you have any pictures posted of this excursion you went on?

This was a double decker boat. The lower cabin was enclosed and very spacious with airline like seats. The upper deck was open air with standard outside seating. We had younger children with us (and my mother who hates the wind) and it was nice to be able to keep them downstairs. Obviously when the whales or other wildlife was sighted, everyone moved to that side of the boat, but I didn't find it overly crowded due to the size of the boat. I got some very nice pictures with my cheap, 400 speed camera. (not digital) Since they are on film and I don't have a scanner, I can't post them. (Funny, I stayed in the lower cabin, but my brother in law went up on the upper deck with his fancy digital camera and everyone says I got the better pictures....lol)

We also could not as close to the orcas as normal due to "breeding" or feeding or some reason that I don't remember. (regulations). There were probably 5-6 boats in the area watching the whales however.

Our boat also had a snack bar (with reasonably priced food) and they served us a sample of Alaskan Salmon during the trip. There were also restrooms on board and they provided a limited supply of binoculars for use. (of course we had brought our own.)

Like I said, we got to see both Humpbacks & Orcas and we had fantastic weather. (mid July) Our guide on the boat reitterated several times that we were very lucky to see BOTH types of whales on the tour since Orcas and Humpbacks do not generally go to the same area. (they were probably 5-6 miles apart). The guide also said the 72 degree, dry day also aided in our views of wildlife since many of the other animals were laying on shore (otters & sea lions) or the land animals were coming near the shore.

we did a whale watch independently and the rest of the family took the bus ($6 pp one way) to mendenhall. some people just have the whale watch tour drop them off at mendenhall and then take the bus/shuttle back to town. there is a big discussion on this at the alaska boards. my boat has room for 30, but only had 15 ..plenty of room for pictures. there are a couple of independents whot only take 6 at a time, nice samll boats.

If you have flexibility, I'd recommend Princess or Holland. They both go into Glacier National Park. Princess also goes to College Fiord. Glacier National Park was the highlight of the trip to us. We saw plenty of whales right from the ship on our Vancouver to "Anchorage" Princess cruise. There are only a few cruise lines that can go into GNP since they control attendance thre. Sidebar: Princess & Holland aren't my favorite lines. I chose Princess for the itinerary.

If you have flexibility, I'd recommend Princess or Holland. They both go into Glacier National Park. Princess also goes to College Fiord. Glacier National Park was the highlight of the trip to us. We saw plenty of whales right from the ship on our Vancouver to "Anchorage" Princess cruise. There are only a few cruise lines that can go into GNP since they control attendance thre. Sidebar: Princess & Holland aren't my favorite lines. I chose Princess for the itinerary.

NOT all Princess and Holland American cruise ships sail to Glacier Bay!

This summer, the Norwegian Pearl WILL. Admittingly, the Star and Sun will not.

Let's review which ships will and will not sail to Glacier Bay this summer, for the record!

Sailing from Seattle:

Amsterdam NOT

Vision of the Seas NOT

Oosterdam NOT

Golden Princess NOT

Norwegian Star NOT

Sun Princess NOT

Norwegian Pearl IS

Noordam IS

Only two of eight cruise ships sailing from Seattle will.

Sailing from Vancouver:

Mercury NOT

Radiance of the Seas NOT

Serenade of the Seas NOT

Zuiderdam IS

Sapphire Princess IS

Norwegian Sun NOT

Statendam IS

Infinity NOT

Coral Princess IS

Seven Seas Mariner NOT

Zaandam IS

Pacific Princess NOT

Volendam NOT

Summit NOT

Diamond Princess IS

Ryndam IS

Island Princess IS

Carnival Spirit NOT

Spirit of Oceanus IS

Only nine of nineteen cruises ships sailing from Vancouver will.

I assume it's safe to say less than half the cruise ships sailing to Alaska this year will stop at Glacier Bay.

The Norwegian Pearl will be the largest, newest, and best ship sailing to Glacier Bay this summer.

Best because it will be the only ship sailing to Glacier Bay with Freestyle Dining.

If you have flexibility, I'd recommend Princess or Holland. They both go into Glacier National Park.

NCL runs three ships in Alaska. Two go to Sawyer Glacier and one goes to Glacier Bay.

In 2005, it was the Star that went to Glacier Bay. (the cruise I was on.)

This year, it is the Pearl that goes to Glacier Bay, the ship the OP is on.

I do agree though, Glacier Bay is something not to be missed.

Archived