dumb question

pvlover

The English say "cue" nard !

The Americans say "koo" nard !

So i was told by an American lady on the QM2 ! :eek:

Regards,

Gavin :cool:

The American Southern version is "KA-NERD" lol :D

Although I do believe the historical phonetics would be "CUE NARD" based on the pronounciation of the surname. 2 syllables.

I have to tell you, the owner of my travel agency (who happens to be a Carnival and Disney fanatic- two of my most UNfavorite vacation businesses- And I lived in Florida when Disney was being built- and raping the land) pronoucnes it Canard- like the duck. I think he does it just to bug me. And we are starting to sell a lot of Cunard, despite the fact that we do not even have a relationship with the regional representative. (at our last agent's meeting, we were between reps. I have never met one) I am hoping to one day have a meeting featuring the Cunard rep. (Next week is Disney...again) I don't really do much "selling" mostly just booking my own cruises, and maybe an occasional friend, if they ask. But surely, I can get some great inside info or maybe a free Fam trip (familiarization) on the QE2! <G> Heck, even a really gret deal on a couple of cruises this year will make me happy!

Karie,

who is really TRYING to figure out how to spend her cruise dollars...soon!

P.S. Everyone knows, it's CUE nard!

With all the back and forth about the right way and the wrong way to say Cunard..... I had to throw in a little mind teaser and it was noticed.....good job Peter!:)

I thought we were about to go into politics here. Talking about the political group on your right- and how THEY pronounce it!

I'm guessing right leaning folks, could better afford and might be more inclined to say it while taking on airs. Strong lefties might be tempted to make something out of the name, denigrating some aspect- Like the folks who spelled America wth a "K" in the 60s and early 70's to liken us to the third reich.

So, Kunard?

And like I said, then there's the jokesters who, maybe, thinking of the chaos (kaos?) in the King's Court call it a canard! Or those in grill eating the Roast Canard.

Okay, Now I've gone too far.

Excuse me. I have to go take my meds now. The nice man in the white coat is calling me!

Karie "We're not allowed to use our real names here" ;)

I thought we were about to go into politics here. Talking about the political group on your right- and how THEY pronounce it!

I'm guessing right leaning folks, could better afford and might be more inclined to say it while taking on airs. Strong lefties might be tempted to make something out of the name, denigrating some aspect- Like the folks who spelled America wth a "K" in the 60s and early 70's to liken us to the third reich.

So, Kunard?

And like I said, then there's the jokesters who, maybe, thinking of the chaos (kaos?) in the King's Court call it a canard! Or those in grill eating the Roast Canard.

Okay, Now I've gone too far.

Excuse me. I have to go take my meds now. The nice man in the white coat is calling me!

Karie "We're not allowed to use our real names here" ;)

Folks,

There's less here than meets the eye. News must be sparse.

I've heard it pronounced as most of you have written, but also as:

Cunnard.

Now, I haven't been to Nova Scotia in a while, but in the birthplace of Samuel Cunard, it is pronounced Cue-Nard.

In Maine, which is right next door to Nova Scotia, they pronounce it Cue-nahd. But, being frugal, they conserve that "R" and put it at the end of names ending with the letter "A".

Like: Aquitanier, Mauretanier, and Berengarierre.

I think it's time for a skin-full of claret............No! wait! the single malt is closer.

Cheers,

Kurt.....

.. Cunard Cruise Critic Champagne Card Club Charter Member (7-C's)

(inspired by Matthew, conceived by Kurt, implemented by Karie)

"God gave us luggage and soda water as a torment for our crimes"

I say KEW-nard. This is the way most Brits and some Americans seem to say it, especially Americans who are frequent passengers on the Queens.

I know when I phone them in Valencia, California, the very British lady that does the phone menus says KEW-nard :) ...

But most Americans seem to say something that to me sounds like Kuh-NARD, with a very clipped first syllable and the stress on the second syllable.

I've never heard Koo-nard or Ka-nard.

Then there is the matter of the 'r'. Englishpersons, New Yorkers, New Englanders and some American Southerners will probably not pronounce the 'r' at all, while other Americans pronounce it very strongly and Scots roll it!

Just be glad this isn't the HAL board; the Dutch insist that we English-speakers can't pronounce anything correctly (apparently the sounds required for words like 'Zuiderdam' only exist in Dutch).

.. Cunard Cruise Critic Champagne Card Club Charter Member (7-C's)

(inspired by Matthew, conceived by Kurt, implemented by Karie)

QUOTE]

SInce it's no secret now that I LOVE the COmmodore Club, I'll carry this one step further...

Cunard Commodore Club Cruise Critic Champagne Card Club Charter Member (9-C's)

Cheers, Penny...who doesn't drink champagne but would still like to carry the card

Folks,

There's less here than meets the eye. News must be sparse.

I've heard it pronounced as most of you have written, but also as:

Cunnard.

Now, I haven't been to Nova Scotia in a while, but in the birthplace of Samuel Cunard, it is pronounced Cue-Nard.

In Maine, which is right next door to Nova Scotia, they pronounce it Cue-nahd. But, being frugal, they conserve that "R" and put it at the end of names ending with the letter "A".

Like: Aquitanier, Mauretanier, and Berengarierre.

I think it's time for a skin-full of claret............No! wait! the single malt is closer.

Cheers,

Kurt.....

This got a good laugh outta me Kurt, but this isn't a Maine phenomenon, it's a New England thing. Here in RI we do the same as in: pizzer, melisser and idear. LOL

I pronounce it Cue Nahd. :)

You know, maybe, as I drive a few hours from now, from CT, to MA, to NH, to ME, I will stop at each Rest Area and ask someone there if they know what cruiseline the QE2 sails for. Then I'll record each one, (And if anyone says Cahnival or Holland Amurica I will discount their answer) and make up a pie chaht I mean chart. Hmm, Pie.. Key Lime Pie.... Um, What was I saying?

Karie,

who can be distracted easily

This got a good laugh outta me Kurt, but this isn't a Maine phenomenon, it's a New England thing. Here in RI we do the same as in: pizzer, melisser and idear. LOL

I pronounce it Cue Nahd. :)

Kitty,

So do I! We can butcher the mother tongue as well as some of them do. Most Brits I've conversed with on the Q's say Cue-Nahd as well.

One big happy family!

Kurt

Archived