18-20 year olds

Desert star

Does anyone think there should be organized gatherings on NCL for the 18-20 year old set? They kind of fall into a no mans land between teen and adult. On past cruises my oldest son loved the teen center and met alot of great friends, some that he still talks to, but this last cruise he was 18, and even though I think he had a good time, I think he would have prefered to hang with people his own age at least some of the time.

you are right; our granddaughter has cruised twice while in that age bracket, it is tough; can't do many of the adult activities and way to old for the teen groups; as for having any organized meets or anything: the answer as with other lines is no. As much as it might be a good idea, where would they draw the line: meets for 20-25 yr olds, those of us past 65, etc. NMNita

I was just on the Spirit for the Dec 21- Jan 2 Cruise, and I agree with your post about the 18-20, I fall into that group and felt too old to go to the 'teen' activities, so I went to the adult ones, which were great but I didn't meet to many people my age there. Its not officially stated but I think that the nightclub was pretty much 'young' adults. It started every night at 12 (midnight) thats fairly late after a long day on the beach but most people my age don't mind, thats when the day gets started.

Does anyone think there should be organized gatherings on NCL for the 18-20 year old set? They kind of fall into a no mans land between teen and adult. On past cruises my oldest son loved the teen center and met alot of great friends, some that he still talks to, but this last cruise he was 18, and even though I think he had a good time, I think he would have prefered to hang with people his own age at least some of the time.

My now 18 yr old boys have been big cruise fans until their last cruise, when they fell into this age group. Honestly, they were bored enough that I felt sorry for them. It may have turned them off to cruising.

I personally think that meeting for 18-20 yr olds would be a good idea as this age group can't do what those 21 & up can do and are too old for the teen club. I don't know why others seem to feel that if they had gatherings for this age group, they would have to for other ages as well. As for "where do you draw the line", I'd draw it here.

-Monte

Monte and others--

What are the 18-20 yo's missing? They have the same ability to swim, sun themselves, read, play board games, play shuffleboard, etc that the rest of us do. They have disco's for dancing, they can join in the different games after 10pm. On shore they can join shore excursions, same as the adults. The majority of that age group find it easy to make friends. So tell me, what more do they want? The drinking age is what it is. Contact people in authority (example--USA congress people, since the cruise lines seem to be under the laws here) and ask to have that changed.

Monte and others--

What are the 18-20 yo's missing? They have the same ability to swim, sun themselves, read, play board games, play shuffleboard, etc that the rest of us do. They have disco's for dancing, they can join in the different games after 10pm. On shore they can join shore excursions, same as the adults. The majority of that age group find it easy to make friends. So tell me, what more do they want? The drinking age is what it is. Contact people in authority (example--USA congress people, since the cruise lines seem to be under the laws here) and ask to have that changed.

I am not talking about drinking age alone, and no I DIDN"T sign the paper to allow him to drink onboard. He is not the partying type anyway.

I just don't think kids stop bing kids at "18" just because the law says so.

The10 year olds can do all of the above you mentioned too, should we just stop having Kids Crew? Can't they entertain themselves? No, they have it to make the cruise intresting and fun for them.

Lets do away with the "singles" meetings can't they meet each other on their own as well?

Monte and others--

What are the 18-20 yo's missing? .

There really aren't a lot a people in this age group on many of the sailings. And with them scattered around the ship at any given time, it can be difficult for them to meet each other. I think that Kat7783 probably summed up some of the problems quite well in her post. And her experience seems to mirror that of my boys. Plus, if it could make their cruise more enjoyable for them, I don't understand why anyone would object.

I think Desert Star & I have both seen our kids sort of fall through the crack between the kids clubs and the adults (confirmed by a person actually in that group) and we think that it is a problem that could have a simple solution. Maybe as simple as having a meet for them on the first night similar to that of the kids club. At least then they could make plans to do some of the things you listed, but do them together.

jmo

-Monte

Desert star--I think you missed my meaning. I was not being sarcastic or mean. I wanted to know what you wanted. You still have not told me.

Do understand you to mean your sons are not capable of meeting and planning a get-together of new people onboard and you want the crew to plan it for them?

Why not have your sons plan one (like CC's do)with your help and start a roll call for their age group. Make plans for dinner, scavenger hunts, tournaments (if on the Pearl-- bowling, rock climbing), etc. Let them plan an excursion on shore (with your permission and help) and carry through all the details for the group. Let the cruise ship annouce a meeting time and place for that age group in the Dalies. They will have more fun and be more excited on cruising if they plan it. I promise you they will. :)

I think setting up "meetings" or play dates for them will make them feel younger than they really are and they would reject that. I sailed when I was 19 and I found a group my age on my own. We were hanging out in the adult areas and we were drinking not sure how the rules have changed now. This was only 9 years ago.

They have singles mixers right?

Isn't this called the disco? On all my cruises (NCL and elsewhere), this is where the kids have gathered.
The only problem with the Disco as I understand it: anyone under 21 isn't allowed there after about 11pm. Of course for some of us, that is the middle of the night. LOL

They have singles mixers right?

Some day you might have an 18 yr old HS daughter and frown at the prospect of sending her to a singles mixer open to all ages, to be hit on by 30/40/50 yr old pervs that flash some cash (figuratively speaking of course).

Nita-we understand the same about the discos (but I could be wrong). But 11 is late night for some of us ;)

jmo

-Monte

Thanks for all of you who took it seriously. And Idid see alot of kids my son's age hanging with their parents that looked rather lost. My son is quiet around people he doesn't know, and I can't see him hanging around the disco, at least not untill he knows someone.You know what kids that age do, they hang out with their friends and talk about music, school etc. or they drink, which I would rather he NOT do, at this point. I really wasn't

talking about planned activities either, just a meet and greet type thing at the begining of the cruise sometime.

Setting up something on these boards is a great idea and in the future I will try to do just that, or have him bring a friend. He says he still had a great time hanging out with the old folks.

How can you have a bad time? It's a cruise!

I think the people making fun of this post haven't cruised with a young adult in this age group. I don't think it would be that much of a big deal for the cruise line to set up a meeting time for this subset of people, without having to also set up a group for the 40-42 year olds. Many of the activities on board are either kid-oriented, old-people oriented or booze related. I don't think they need "basket weaving for young adults" but a meeting time would let them know the others in their age group. (It's pretty hard to pick out the ages of people anymore - my 24 y.o. daughter looks 16 and my 21 y.o. son looks older than her.) For the most part, this crowd is still traveling with mom and dad on a family vacation, and if the cruise line does something minimal to keep them happy, they're more likely to get all of us back. I did let my under 21 year old drink last year (he was less than a month from his 21st birthday) but I monitored his consumption (as I was footing the bill!) I think 18 year olds and up are allowed in bars after a certain time but the younger than 18s are kicked out.

My first thought was "No, I don't think that is a good idea" because it would put an unreasonable burden on the cruise line to expect them to be responsible for 18 to 20 y/o's having a good time. At that age, they seem to want to express their independence, their "I'm an adult now" selves, and so forth. So, why not make them responsible for meeting people on their own.

Then, I thought about it some more, and decided that it would be a good idea for the cruise line to arrange one (and only one) get-together for 18 to 20 y/o's only. This eliminates the issue of young adults (especially women, even though that sounds sexist) going to singles mixers with adults who are much older. When she was 18, I would not have wanted our DD to go to a mixer where 40 or 50 y/o men attended; if that's over-protective, so be it.

I think it would be nice if they scheduled one "party" or something like that on either the first evening or the second day so that the young adults can meet each other. From there, they would be on their own to find fun activities.

beachchick

I'm with Beachchick. A party on the first night would help young people in this age group connect with peers. My son is about to turn 18. On our last two cruises he met lots of friends at the first gathering of the teen group and then hung out with them for the remainder of the cruise. With that option no longer available on our next cruise, I know he would appreciate an opportunity to meet people his own age. Thanks for the suggestion and I hope NCL picks up on it!

Linda

As someone who has two days left in this age bracket. I can tell you that not having things to do is very common. This goes for every where. I live on a college campus and there is little to do during the evenings other than bars. I think that if you are paying good money to go on a vacation there should be some alternative activities during the evening, maybe not just for that age group but that are open to all those 18+.

It's obvious that many posters don't have a clue when it comes to the 21st century American tweenager! You either don't have kids or are too old to understand "today's generation"!

My 19 1/2 year old college co-ed daughter accompanied us last month onboard the Jewel. My 15 1/2 high school daughter as well. The younger girl met other similar aged kids within hours because of the planned activities. If nothing else, they had a place to go that was specifically for them. My oldest, on the other hand, stuck to us like glue! But......she says that she loved every minute of it!:p We had planned to introduce her to a couple 21 year old girls from our CC roll call but they didn't show up for the CC get together. Does anyone really truely expect her to attend the singles get togethers with people that could be older than her parents? Do you really think she'd enjoy that? If so, you're nuts!:eek:

All we're saying is NCL (and all other lines) should have SOMETHING geared towards the 18-21 crowd. It certainly would help them have a better cruise experience overall. I think my daughter was bored at times during the cruise but she wouldn't us think that.

Steve

Archived