Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

Love this thread. I cruise out on the Conquest September 21. I read somewhere on a thread that there is a pharmacy in Cozumel that you can go to stock up on antibiotics you can only get with a prescription here in the states. Does anyone know where it is exactly? Grandmas meds are gettin kinda high.

Any of them. I used to get some every trip. You think your getting a great deal, but check dosage. Much lower strength generally.

there are specific pharmacias and then a LOT of the liquor stores have a pharmacy counter. We bought amoxicillin in 500MG strength at one of the counters in a liquor store.

Hello,

I have thought about buying medicine in Mexico brfore but I chicken out. I'm afraid I won't be getting what I think I am getting.

Julie

I bought amoxicillin on our last cruise in Dec. It was great. $20.00 for 100 capsules of 500 mg each. I wish I had bought more than one bottle.

Cathy

Hi everyone, we are going to be sailing on Carnival for the first time on 8/31. (Have sailed on RCCL before).

We will fly into Houston the day before. What is the best way to get from Houston to Galveston? Taxi? Hitch-hike? Other?

We're really looking forward to the Conquest.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, we are going to be sailing on Carnival for the first time on 8/31. (Have sailed on RCCL before).

We will fly into Houston the day before. What is the best way to get from Houston to Galveston? Taxi? Hitch-hike? Other?

We're really looking forward to the Conquest.

Thanks!

Scooby50211 - I live in Houston, so I probably wouldn't be the best person to give advice on this. But, you're going to be on the same cruise as us! Feel free to join our Roll Call and I'm sure there are tons of people there that can answer your question! We look forward to seeing you on the cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=631195&goto=newpost

I bought amoxicillin on our last cruise in Dec. It was great. $20.00 for 100 capsules of 500 mg each. I wish I had bought more than one bottle.

Cathy

I spent I think $17 for 2-100 capsule 500 MG bottles. If you are walking the strip, then take your time and price it out.

Okay, now I really feel stupid, but has it always been there? (my husband is forcing me to ask)

Well I feel better...we have been on her 4 times and I was thinking "I don't remember a mini golf area"....was going to have to cut down on the bar tab if I was THAT snockered! LOL

Now I know I can enjoy my drink of the day when we sail her again in 3 weeks and not worry so much about that memory lapse! LOL

I spent I think $17 for 2-100 capsule 500 MG bottles. If you are walking the strip, then take your time and price it out.

Ok, I really mad now. I guess I better take more time to look and not buy from the first place I find! Live and Learn!

Cathy

Does the Conquest change time during the week? I'm trying to figure out the difference between ship's time and Cozumel time in November. We are thinking about doing the dolphin ship in Chankanaab.

When we were on her in Fabruary she changed time. But others have told me she didn't. I thinks it's a decision that is made between the captain and cruise director.

We are planning on booking our Grand Cayman stingray city tour through Captain Marvins online. We're thinking of doing the 8:30 tour and I see the boat arrives at 7:00....does that give us enough time to get off the boat and tender to the island or would we be better booking the later tour?

When we were on her in Fabruary she changed time. But others have told me she didn't. I thinks it's a decision that is made between the captain and cruise director.

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember which way you turned the clock? Ahead an hour or behind?

Anyone out there who has been on the Conquest from November to March or so who remembers if they changed the time?

The Conquest changes time during the winter months when Texas is on standard time. This is due to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands being in the eastern time zone, one hour ahead of Texas. The Conquest rolls the clock ahead one hour on Tuesday night before arrival in MoBay and sets the clock back one hour on Thursday night before arrival in Cozumel.

In the summer time when Texas goes to daylight saving time there is no need for a time change as Jamaica and the Cayman Islands do not observe DST. Hence the time is the same there as in Galveston.

Where things get complicated is in the late winter and late fall. Do you remember a few years back when the United States started switching to DST in early March instead of early April? And switching back to standard time in the beginning of November instead of the end of October? Well that time change doesn't apply to Mexico where they still change times on the old schedule. Cozumel is in the central time zone and observes daylight saving time but changes to DST a month later than Texas. If you are cruising in March thru early April after Texas changes but before Mexico, I would expect the Conquest to not change time. This means that ship time will be one hour ahead of local time in Cozumel till they change their time and catch up. Likewise during the one or two weeks around Halloween when Mexico switches back but Texas still has not, the same situation will be encountered.

Got It? :D ;)

We are planning on booking our Grand Cayman stingray city tour through Captain Marvins online. We're thinking of doing the 8:30 tour and I see the boat arrives at 7:00....does that give us enough time to get off the boat and tender to the island or would we be better booking the later tour?

All I can tell you is that we booked the 10:00AM, and were told to be at the Captain Marvin's office by 9:15.

If they are still doing business that way, I do not see how you could be tendered off the ship, and at their place of business, within 15 minutes of the boat being anchored.

The Conquest changes time during the winter months when Texas is on standard time. This is due to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands being in the eastern time zone, one hour ahead of Texas. The Conquest rolls the clock ahead one hour on Tuesday night before arrival in MoBay and sets the clock back one hour on Thursday night before arrival in Cozumel.

Got It? :D ;)

yst347 - thanks so much for your help.

I think I have it. From what you are saying it seems like on November 21st (the day we pull into Cozumel) ship's time will be the same as Cozumel time. Right?

yst347 - thanks so much for your help.

I think I have it. From what you are saying it seems like on November 21st (the day we pull into Cozumel) ship's time will be the same as Cozumel time. Right?

Yes, infact ship time will be the same as local time in all three ports. You will lose an hour Tuesday night and get it back Thursday night. Thursday is the second formal night IIRC so having that extra hour can be a plus. It was for us. :)

Yes, infact ship time will be the same as local time in all three ports. You will lose an hour Tuesday night and get it back Thursday night. Thursday is the second formal night IIRC so having that extra hour can be a plus. It was for us. :)

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it! :)

All I can tell you is that we booked the 10:00AM, and were told to be at the Captain Marvin's office by 9:15.

If they are still doing business that way, I do not see how you could be tendered off the ship, and at their place of business, within 15 minutes of the boat being anchored.

Great, thanks so much, that's what I was afraid of. :rolleyes:

:o I live in a section of Houston called the Clear Lake area, very close to Galveston. Construction has interstate highway 45 South tied up every single day. But beware! Sundays are sometimes picked to close highway lines down even further, sometimes completely, perhaps from Hobby Airport to the one-laned sections of "on going construction." Even the bridge to cross over into Galveston has been known to be close for hours or again to a one-laner. If you are visiting to take a cruise, this can add some hair-pulling stress, while sitting on the highway going no where. Of course the locals know to take Highway 3 and by pass this mess, along with not taking the "feeder lanes", smaller streets with lots of lights.

You can go on-line to find out weather, air flight problems but this information seems to be told only briefly on local news and in the local paper. Make sure to use your own resources, be it electrical or hearsay, to help you prevent vacation wipeout, even before you make the magical island called Galveston. Of course it has been advised many times on this board: Go the day before, Saturday, and spend the night on Galveston. Just make sure you have a reservation, because rooms are prime different times of the year.

:o I live in a section of Houston called the Clear Lake area, very close to Galveston. Construction has interstate highway 45 South tied up every single day. But beware! Sundays are sometimes picked to close highway lines down even further, sometimes completely, perhaps from Hobby Airport to the one-laned sections of "on going construction." Even the bridge to cross over into Galveston has been known to be close for hours or again to a one-laner. If you are visiting to take a cruise, this can add some hair-pulling stress, while sitting on the highway going no where. Of course the locals know to take Highway 3 and by pass this mess, along with not taking the "feeder lanes", smaller streets with lots of lights.

You can go on-line to find out weather, air flight problems but this information seems to be told only briefly on local news and in the local paper. Make sure to use your own resources, be it electrical or hearsay, to help you prevent vacation wipeout, even before you make the magical island called Galveston. Of course it has been advised many times on this board: Go the day before, Saturday, and spend the night on Galveston. Just make sure you have a reservation, because rooms are prime different times of the year.

Meirah,

We are sailing during the week of the Biker Rally Weekend, and were unable to get a hotel on Galveston Island. I was not going to pay $269.99, for the Quality Inn, so we are staying in Webster. Do you think they will still be working on I-45 at the beginning of November???