Recent Jewel Cruisers-Did they stop self disembark?

Vyhanek

I just read a review from the Jewel where the passangers were not allowed to self-disembark (Carry off your own luggage). Was this a one time thing or really have they eliminated this wonderful option?

It seemed to run so smoothly the last several times I cruised. I can't imagine having to put my things out the night before and then dealing with the nightmare of finding my luggage in a mountain suitcases.

Please tell me we can still self disembark. I thought NCL was customer driven on this issue!

Yes, you can still self disembark. Unfortuantely, it seems everyone chooses this option and the process has turned into massive disembarkation. Lines start up early, lines that literally go around the ship. And if the ship is late arriving, many panic over their flights. those who chose regular color disembark get into the long line too.

How do I know, passengers who chose self disembark are supposed to take all of their luggage off. On my recent Dream cruise I got off at the end of the line of self disembark, but when I got to the mountain of luggage hundreds of passengers were searching for their luggage. Sort of defeats the purpose of self disembark don't it?

We just sailed the Jewel end of December and my BIL and his family used this express disembarkation process and it worked beautifully. Fortunately for them this time, there were not any lines to speak of (they had a 10:30 a.m. flight) so that was a good thing!

I'm the one who posted the review, and we were told by the Information desk that the ship was no longer allowing people to carry off their own luggage. We were the first group off of the ship that morning and no one was carrying off any of their own luggage. The housekeeping staff told me that they thought we could take our own stuff off the boat, as normal, but the people at Information said that this was no longer the case. We were given a form to sign up for Early Disembarkation, which then issued us tan luggage tags and enabled us to disembark with the first group off the ship.

I'm not sure why they changed this policy, and if it was only for the Jewel, and if it's only temporary but I hope it's not permanent because it was not convenient.

Archived