advice on booking 2 smaller rooms or one larger room

I've been trying to do my research and sort out the facts on Sovereign of the Seas. We'd like to do a 4 night cruise. We are a family of 4 with our boys being ages 15 and 11. We've done Disney Cruise line before in a cat. 11 (inside room) which is 184 sq. ft. when kids were younger. We had never cruised before so had nothing to compare it to. I thought it was a big room and by looking at sizes of other rooms on other lines, I realize it was. DCL is pretty expensive though, so would like to try RCI.

Here's my question, we're considering 2 connecting rooms at cat. 4, ocean view (122 sq. ft. each). As far as I can tell that's the only opening for connecting rooms. Pros: more room, not obstructed view. Cons: 120.00 more (which isn't expensive), I've read others think decks 8 and 9 are more quiet.

Other choice would be one cat. 9 ocean view with 159 sq. ft. Pros: quieter deck perhaps, on same floor as the child clubs, more convient to teen club and pools, 120.00 cheaper than 2 rooms. Cons: less sq. footage, obstructed view.

The junior suite isn't an option for our budget.

Am I missing anything and what would you do if you were me. I'm worried that the 4 of us will feel really crowded in just one room of 159 sq. ft. Please help me!

Two bathrooms, two closets, two vanity mirrors, 2 televisions, regular beds for all, and privacy for you and your kids. All for only $120. Maybe the best travel bargain around. A "better" location on the ship is nowhere near as important as these perks.

Definitely get the 2 rooms. Even a JS--while roomy, is really only roomy for 2--not 4!!! Plus, the 2 bathrooms will be a total godsend! Really! And the privacy--ahhh! It's YOUR vacation, too, parents!!!! Time to get to know each other again! (Can't do that with kids in the room!

We've ALWAYS gone for two inside adjoining (not connecting - lol) rooms for the four of us and have never regretted it. In fact DH won't even consider having the girls in our room anymore (they are 13 and 16) - they need their space and we need ours ;) .

Besides - 3 girls and only one bathroom - not gonna work!!!

One more thing...If the money is a concern, why not book yourself in the oceanview and the kids across the hall in an interior? That is what we have usually done since the kids were about 10 and 12. We just make sure to get an extra room key for their room so we can keep tabs on them.

One more thing...If the money is a concern, why not book yourself in the oceanview and the kids across the hall in an interior? That is what we have usually done since the kids were about 10 and 12. We just make sure to get an extra room key for their room so we can keep tabs on them.

I thought about this, but last May while in disney with my Mom and 3 kids, we had two rooms booked and did not get connecting rooms. I felt like I was going in and out all the time and slamming doors and being a nuisance. I sure wouldn't want to do that on a cruise. I figure with the connecting room I can choose to close the door and lock it, ha!, or choose to be able to go in and out.

I've been trying to do my research and sort out the facts on Sovereign of the Seas. We'd like to do a 4 night cruise. We are a family of 4 with our boys being ages 15 and 11. We've done Disney Cruise line before in a cat. 11 (inside room) which is 184 sq. ft. when kids were younger. We had never cruised before so had nothing to compare it to. I thought it was a big room and by looking at sizes of other rooms on other lines, I realize it was. DCL is pretty expensive though, so would like to try RCI.

Here's my question, we're considering 2 connecting rooms at cat. 4, ocean view (122 sq. ft. each). As far as I can tell that's the only opening for connecting rooms. Pros: more room, not obstructed view. Cons: 120.00 more (which isn't expensive), I've read others think decks 8 and 9 are more quiet.

Other choice would be one cat. 9 ocean view with 159 sq. ft. Pros: quieter deck perhaps, on same floor as the child clubs, more convient to teen club and pools, 120.00 cheaper than 2 rooms. Cons: less sq. footage, obstructed view.

The junior suite isn't an option for our budget.

Am I missing anything and what would you do if you were me. I'm worried that the 4 of us will feel really crowded in just one room of 159 sq. ft. Please help me!

Two cabins.... I assume you meant deck 4 not cat 4. Also, I checked out the decks and there are connecting cabins on 4, 6 and 8. The one date I was looking at the deck 8 cabins were less expensive than the ones on 4. Cabins on 6 were only $10pp than on 4. I would probably call RC to see just what connecting cabins are available and not go by any website.

The money you save for having 4 people in a single cabin is not an incentive for me to deal with climbing all over each other for a week. It doesn't cost that much more to get a second room.

Our boys are 12 and 7, so we still opt for a connecting room, but we keep the door closed for our privacy, they can still knock!

Like others have said, two extra beds, and an extra shower plus the closet and drawer space is worth it.

Mike in Tulsa

Ditto here - two rooms are heaven! I don't know what time of the year you are traveling but if it is off season, Sov. prices are great. Keep a daily watch for a gaurantee to show up and make sure your two cabins are conected in the system. Last October we got two junior suites because we were "gaurantee" for 309.00 per person. It was a fantastic deal. We were in the right place at the right time but if you check your ressie often you can get some great deals. E-Beth

Definitely two cabins.

You will be amazed at how much bigger your cabin seems when it's only 2 of you, not 4 of you.

Two bathrooms and no sponge bob are other definite pluses.

You also mentioned unobstructed view with the 2 cabins; another plus.

We had our kids across the hall last year (and will again next month); we really like this configuration. I was really the only one going back and forth, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

Get two cabins! We have done this, and are doing it again on the Serenade. If we were all together in one room, someone might be murdered.;)

The doors do not lock, though, during the week. The steward must have your permission to unlock them when you board, then they stay unlocked.

Two cabins.... I assume you meant deck 4 not cat 4. Also, I checked out the decks and there are connecting cabins on 4, 6 and 8. The one date I was looking at the deck 8 cabins were less expensive than the ones on 4. Cabins on 6 were only $10pp than on 4. I would probably call RC to see just what connecting cabins are available and not go by any website.

Friday is right, Call RCCL and see if there are any cabins on deck 8. I have adjoining outside cabins on deck 8 for a March sailing and they are the least expensive outsides because they are all obstructed view. Don't go by the website. They don't always list all of the available cabins. My cabins were not listed on the website when I booked. I had to call to get them.

Archived