Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

My "Member Review" of Silver Shadow has been posted as of today. It is a rehash of the review that Conte required of me some weeks ago. [Harumph!}

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=90399.

A CC member recently posted a highly-negative review of Shadow which I thought was a bit caddish. He used the phrase "rotting fruit" and seemed to enjoy kicking the hotel staff in the shins. He mentions that the hotel staff seemed "tired" after the Alaska season which, in my opinion, was unwarranted. In light of the fact that I got off the ship, "Otis" got on and then found everything wanting seems a bit unfair.

Not one word of my review was changed by Cruise Critic which surprised me. Sharon - doncha wish your professional manuscripts could have the same gentle oversight?

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

My "Member Review" of Silver Shadow has been posted as of today. It is a rehash of the review that Conte required of me some weeks ago. [Harumph!}

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=90399.

A CC member recently posted a highly-negative review of Shadow which I thought was a bit caddish. He used the phrase "rotting fruit" and seemed to enjoy kicking the hotel staff in the shins. He mentions that the hotel staff seemed "tired" after the Alaska season which, in my opinion, was unwarranted. In light of the fact that I got off the ship, "Otis" got on and then found everything wanting seems a bit unfair.

Not one word of my review was changed by Cruise Critic which surprised me. Sharon - doncha wish your professional manuscripts could have the same gentle oversight?

Ruby

Enjoyed your updated review, Ruby.

Are you still keen on a follow up cruise to South Africa?

We have booked our first cruise on Celebrity on Century from Auckland to Sydney in December, in our first suite.

Are you still keen on a follow up cruise to South Africa?

Funny you should ask about South Africa. There is a 50/50 chance that there will be no Silversea repo from Rio-to-Cape Town in 2013 so I'm in a "wait and see" mode. If it does make the 2013 calendar, the voyage would be in January.

While I salute all you travel-mad Aussies who are willing to travel extensively just to get to an embarkation port, at this time my mood is one of staying off the international flights as much as possible. I will pause while readers of this thread snort in derision because my cruise moods provably swing from hot to cold depending on a magical itinerary that crosses my bow.

Onboard Shadow, I took great advantage of the world travelers and asked about Cape Town and, particularly, the Blu Train. Two couples had been on the train and I was able to learn a lot in a short amount of time. But when I look at my globe and see the vast distances from Dallas-Fort Worth to Rio to Cape Town and back again, the flights make me too tired to contemplate. I would not hesitate to cruise again from Vancouver to Incheon or Tokyo as the flight home is so EZ.

I do know that my future cruises will be on Silver Shadow or Silver Whisper. These sister ships are perfect for my purposes and I see no reason to look outside Silversea.

From your recent trip to Canada and the US, what adventure or locale stands out in your mind? Have you seen the tides at the Bay of Fundy? It is high on my traveler's list. I keep meaning to visit there and have yet to accomplish that goal.

Ruby

Funny you should ask about South Africa. There is a 50/50 chance that there will be no Silversea repo from Rio-to-Cape Town in 2013 so I'm in a "wait and see" mode. If it does make the 2013 calendar, the voyage would be in January.

While I salute all you travel-mad Aussies who are willing to travel extensively just to get to an embarkation port, at this time my mood is one of staying off the international flights as much as possible. I will pause while readers of this thread snort in derision because my cruise moods provably swing from hot to cold depending on a magical itinerary that crosses my bow.

Onboard Shadow, I took great advantage of the world travelers and asked about Cape Town and, particularly, the Blu Train. Two couples had been on the train and I was able to learn a lot in a short amount of time. But when I look at my globe and see the vast distances from Dallas-Fort Worth to Rio to Cape Town and back again, the flights make me too tired to contemplate. I would not hesitate to cruise again from Vancouver to Incheon or Tokyo as the flight home is so EZ.

I do know that my future cruises will be on Silver Shadow or Silver Whisper. These sister ships are perfect for my purposes and I see no reason to look outside Silversea.

From your recent trip to Canada and the US, what adventure or locale stands out in your mind? Have you seen the tides at the Bay of Fundy? It is high on my traveler's list. I keep meaning to visit there and have yet to accomplish that goal.

Ruby

Something will come up which excites you, Ruby.

I just sent a postcard to my NY friend's young grandson, as promised. On it I told him to ask his grandmother to show him on an atlas/globe just how far away Australia was from his home, knowing there was no way he could understand!

I understand how you feel about long haul travel, as I've been home a week and am still badly jet lagged. Hence I'm typing this at midnight!

Highlights of our travels, in addition to seeing our daughter, were the ferry cruise to the Magdalen Islands and our fortnight in Newfoundland. I went for the people and I was not disappointed. The icebergs on the shore and picturesque scenery were a bonus.

Yes, we have seen the tides at the Bay of Fundy - fascinating. Did you know that there are similiar tides on the opposite side of the world, near Broome, Western Australia? I'd love to see the waterfall they form between two islands, when the tide changes.

It must be wonderful to know you don't have to fly to reach the Bay of Fundy.

Edited by MMDown Under

Donald - As I know you have cruised a lot on Century, is the location of cabin 1225, deck 12 OK?

The location looks OK to me. There is a large open deck above surrounding the funnel, but it is for walkers or people to relax on deck chairs and not for joggers. I noticed that the balconies has a bit more privacy from the top-deck viewers than on Mercury.

Donald.

The location looks OK to me. There is a large open deck above surrounding the funnel, but it is for walkers or people to relax on deck chairs and not for joggers. I noticed that the balconies has a bit more privacy from the top-deck viewers than on Mercury.

Donald.

Thanks Donald.

.seabourndt.....Dave.....Acton ,London

Dave,

Are you still cruising on Celebrity Century's cruise from Auckland to Sydney, departing on 12th December, 2011?

I noticed you are listed, as above, in the list of people who are cruising.

We are looking forward to doing this cruise, together with nine days land content prior to the cruise.

If you can't make the Bay of Fundy, which has the highest tides in the world, then come to my home town, or even better, 11 miles up the coast to Clevedon, which has the second highest tides in the world at 46 feet. Because the Bristol Channel is funnel shaped, this often creates the famous Severn Bore which people surf down .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_bore

If you can't make the Bay of Fundy, which has the highest tides in the world, then come to my home town, or even better, 11 miles up the coast to Clevedon, which has the second highest tides in the world at 46 feet. Because the Bristol Channel is funnel shaped, this often creates the famous Severn Bore which people surf down .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_bore

We saw a similiar bore tide south of Anchorage, which people were surfing in on.

We saw a similiar bore tide south of Anchorage, which people were surfing in on.

Marion - I am intrigued with your recent travel footnotes. Are you time-traveling to 2111 or is that ugly beast, jet lag, rearing its ugly head?

A visit to the Bay of Fundy requires a flight from DFW to Canada, but any flight of 4 hrs or less is a cakewalk for me.

My theoretical itinerary for that area would be to fly to Bar Harbor Maine, rent a car and enjoy the beautiful geography of far northeastern Canada. How did you know that Newfoundland would be such a marvy destination with friendly locals and culture? Is a capability for the French language necessary?

Ruby

Marion - I am intrigued with your recent travel footnotes. Are you time-traveling to 2111 or is that ugly beast, jet lag, rearing its ugly head?

A visit to the Bay of Fundy requires a flight from DFW to Canada, but any flight of 4 hrs or less is a cakewalk for me.

My theoretical itinerary for that area would be to fly to Bar Harbor Maine, rent a car and enjoy the beautiful geography of far northeastern Canada. How did you know that Newfoundland would be such a marvy destination with friendly locals and culture? Is a capability for the French language necessary?

Ruby

Oops. Thanks, Ruby. Jet lag doesn't help.

I knew you would probably fly to Bay of Fundy, but it is possible to drive. We have driven across the States from LA and back several times. We are long distance drivers, as well as long haul flyers. :)

As we travelled throughout Canada, every Newfoundland person we met stood out for their friendliness, despite having left their homeland. Hence, I always wanted to visit NF, for its people, its history and its isolation. Then both our daughters visited NF and were blown away by the locals and their warm hospitality.

No, NF speak English, with their own unique accent. Many, off the beaten track, sound like they have just arrived from an ancient Ireland.

However, French is spoken in the Magdalen Islands, with a small English section.

I have to agree with Marion about the wonderful hospitality of the Canadian folk on the eastern seaboard. Near Corner Brook in Newfoundland where our tour paused, the local women had baked a huge spread of cakes etc and served home-made cranberry juice, all for a donation to their community funds.

Sydney NS is the only place in the world I have found (so far) where if drivers saw you pausing by the side of the pavement (sidewalk) they stopped to let you cross, wherever it happened to be! And at Conception Bay in NFD, not only did we cause a traffic jam as local people came in hundreds to see QE2 after they finished work but they all then got in their boats to follow us out.

And I lurvve the folk music of Cape Breton Island. I have three CDS I brought home with me.

Edited by Host Sharon

We are long distance drivers, as well as long haul flyers. :)

As a native Texan, I have spent my entire life driving to get anywhere. They ain't kiddin' about the "wide-open spaces." So while I admire your willingness to do long-haul car trips, ain't gonna happen with me. It would be a Big Deal for me to rent a car in Bar Harbor and drive into the Canadian provinces. I might even fly farther in to Canada to get to the Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland areas where I want to visit and explore. The only trick is which month and what weather - September has a good ring to it and I don't mind cold and rain. I do mind tourist crowds. Thoughts?

As we traveled throughout Canada, every Newfoundland person we met stood out for their friendliness, despite having left their homeland. Hence, I always wanted to visit NF, for its people, its history and its isolation. Then both our daughters visited NF and were blown away by the locals and their warm hospitality. No, NF speak English, with their own unique accent. Many, off the beaten track, sound like they have just arrived from an ancient Ireland. However, French is spoken in the Magdalen Islands, with a small English section.

As you may remember, I was planning to go to Maui in May. But in reading your comments about the Bay of Fundy, Newfoundland, and environs, I've decided it's time to head East to follow in your footsteps. Did you leave a trail of bread crumbs?

Could you please contact me at sagaruby at verizon dot net? I would like to discuss the established itinerary which you just completed. On the Web, I can run Magdalen Islands and Newfoundland, but would enjoy hearing details from your recent experiences with the area's pros - and perhaps a few cons.

It will be so nice to explore an area close to my home without the unpleasant international flights. Conte gifted me with Silversea and Marion has inspired me to finally visit the Bay of Fundy and all the other loverly places in that area of the globe.

Kind appreciation to you for opening up a new destination window in my travel life.

Ruby

I have to agree with Marion about the wonderful hospitality of the Canadian folk on the eastern seaboard. Near Corner Brook in Newfoundland where our tour paused, the local women had baked a huge spread of cakes etc and served home-made cranberry juice, all for a donation to their community funds. Sydney NS is the only place in the world I have found (so far) where if drivers saw you pausing by the side of the pavement (sidewalk) they stopped to let you cross, wherever it happened to be! And at Conception Bay in NFD, not only did we cause a traffic jam as local people came in hundreds to see QE2 after they finished work but they all then got in their boats to follow us out. And I lurvve the folk music of Cape Breton Island. I have three CDS I brought home with me.

Thanks, Sharon. I didn't see your post until I put up my own but you have certainly confirmed the joys of travel in this area. I am so dedicated to avoiding tourist hordes - what month were you in the area? I'm talkin' weather that is bearable and weather that is impassible. When I was in the far northwest coast of Greenland on Saga Rose, I was aware that I was within theoretical spitting distance of the Canadian provinces. With the inspiring input of you and Marion, I'll be plotting and planning a visit to same next year.

Ruby

I have to agree with Marion about the wonderful hospitality of the Canadian folk on the eastern seaboard. Near Corner Brook in Newfoundland where our tour paused, the local women had baked a huge spread of cakes etc and served home-made cranberry juice, all for a donation to their community funds.

Sydney NS is the only place in the world I have found (so far) where if drivers saw you pausing by the side of the pavement (sidewalk) they stopped to let you cross, wherever it happened to be! And at Conception Bay in NFD, not only did we cause a traffic jam as local people came in hundreds to see QE2 after they finished work but they all then got in their boats to follow us out.

And I lurvve the folk music of Cape Breton Island. I have three CDS I brought home with me.

St John's Newfoundland drivers do the same thing. We got used to it, when they stopped when they were on our side of the road, however, we never got used to it when they stopped on the opposite side of the road, to the footpath we were walking on.

We love the regional music also and have quite a collection.

I might even fly farther in to Canada to get to the Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland areas where I want to visit and explore. The only trick is which month and what weather - September has a good ring to it and I don't mind cold and rain. I do mind tourist crowds. Thoughts?

As you may remember, I was planning to go to Maui in May. But in reading your comments about the Bay of Fundy, Newfoundland, and environs, I've decided it's time to head East to follow in your footsteps. Did you leave a trail of bread crumbs?

It will be so nice to explore an area close to my home without the unpleasant international flights. Conte gifted me with Silversea and Marion has inspired me to finally visit the Bay of Fundy and all the other loverly places in that area of the globe.

Kind appreciation to you for opening up a new destination window in my travel life.

Ruby

Ruby,

Thanks for your complement.

I am sure you will love visiting the Bay of Fundy, the Maritime States and Newfoundland.

In addition, there is a ferry which goes up the Labrador Coast, which is calling out for investigation.

September would be the best month. We were lucky to pick the best time and had good weather.

The locals told me September was usually the best weather. The Labour Day long weekend is busy, as people come from all over to get their children settled in University (cheapest in Canada). After that, it gets quiet and you can easily get car hire with unlimited mileage, accommodation, etc.

They have a very short summer season. This year summer didn't arrive until late, not long before we arrived.

I'll email you later.

Edited by MMDown Under

I have completed three books spanning the career of Minor "Lee" Meriwether (1862-1966), my mother's shipboard friend aboard the Constitution, being A Tramp Trip: How to See Europe on Fifty Cents a Day (1886), Seeing Europe by Automobile: A Five-Thousand-Mile Motor Trip Through France, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy; With an Excursion into Andorra, Corfu, Dalmatia, and Montenegro (1911), and My First 100 Years, 1862-1962.

Mr. Meriwether does not sytematically list every ship on which he ever sailed, but the collection of ships mentioned is still impressive:

1884: SS Independente, NYC-Naples; SS City of Chester, Liverpool-NYC.

1887: SS Lurline, a 27-passenger steamer, San Francisco-Honolulu.

1909: SS Chicago, NYC-Le Havre; SS Thetis, Corfu-Montenegro; SS Venezia, Naples-NYC.

1918: SS Lafayette, Bordeaux-NYC.

1924: SS Aquitania, NYC-Liverpool.

1960: SS Lurline, San Francisco-Honolulu.

October 1961: T/N Leonardo da Vinci, Genoa-NYC.

RMS Queen Mary, two transatlantic crossings (dates not mentioned).

May 1963: SS France, NYC-Le Havre.

August 1965: SS Constitution.

I think you will enjoy his account of life in steerage aboard the coal-burning Italian freighter SS Independente in 1884, from the opening chapter of Tramp Trip:

Entering the office of the Florio-Rubatino Steamship Line in New York one Saturday morning, I inquired the rate of passage to Naples.

"One hundred and thirty dollars," replied the polite young man behind the desk.

"Have you not a cheaper rate?'

"Second cabin, ninety dollars."

"But your cheapest rate?"

The young man looked at me.

"You do not wish steerage, do you?"

"Certainly."

"Phew!" and the polite young man whistled. "You are aware the steerage is no paradise?"

"At any rate, I wish to learn for myself."

"Very well. The cost is twenty-five dollars."

A few moments later I received my ticket --- a large piece of yellow paper, with the picture of the ship and a lot of Italian on it --- and hurried to my hotel to complete preparations for the departure of the steamer, to take place that same day at noon.

A half-hour sufficed to divest myself of the modish raiment which, taken in connection with a steerage passage, had so surprised the ticket-clerk, and in its place a slouch hat, a coarse flannel shirt, and a heavy sack-coat, warm and compact around the body, was substituted. A knapsack strapped over the back held all the baggage needed; and thus equipped, with scarcely more impedimenta than a lady has in shopping, I sauntered down to the Wall Street ferry, crossed over to Brooklyn, and walked up the gangway of the Independente just as the last bells were ringing and the last good-byes being said.

What a scene was that on the wharf the last half-hour before sailing! A crowd of men, women, and children, some staggering under huge bundles of clothing and bedding that they were bringing on board; others collecting skillets and pans and bundles tied in red handkerchiefs --- all hurrying and scurrying around like a swarm of disturbed bees.

Some of the passengers were bearded like the pard, but this did not prevent their fellow-laborers, who had come to see them off, from giving them showers of kisses. One of the ship's scullions --- a particularly grimy and greasy-looking fellow --- stood on the wharf until the last moment, talking with a friend equally grimy and greasy. As the last bell rang, the scullion and his piratical-looking friend affectionately embraced, took a mouthful of farewell kisses, and the last I saw of them they were blowing kisses at each other as the steamer slowly glided from her moorings and started on her long journey across the sea.

The ticket-agent told the truth. The steerage of an Italian steamer is not a paradise. The bunks are in the hold in the forepart of the ship, in rows like shelves, one about three feet above the other. Lanterns hung from the ceiling give just enough light to make visible the rude beds and their dirty, picturesque occupants. Among the crowd of returning emigrants I noted two young girls. Both were handsome --- dark olive complexions, sparkling black eyes. Slumbering peacefully, their arms thrown around under the head, supple figures in pretty postures, they seemed out of place in that semi-dark room, with the stalwart forms of men and women of every description around them. They did not seem to mind it, but slept as calmly as if in a grotto of roses. Habit is well nigh all-powerful. Accustomed to a private chamber, the first night or two in that strange place, those curious characters around me, my eyes closed in sleep less than an hour. The third night, an hour's pacing to and fro on deck before retiring overcame such squeamishness, and I slept soundly.

A life on the ocean wave is, all things considered, rather monotonous. The first day out the sea-sick passenger groans and wails, and fears he will die. The next day, he fears he won't die. After this he is all right, gets his sea legs on, and develops an enormous appetite. At eight in the morning a big bell strikes, and a black-bearded Italian shouts, "Colazione!" which means breakfast of black coffee and bread. At one o'clock there are two bells, the black-bearded Italian cries "Pranzo!" and the emigrant is served with macaroni or potato stew, bread, and red wine. At night the Italian cries "Cena!" instead of "Pranzo!", and there is more bread and black coffee. This regimen will certainly not produce gout or kindred ailments; it is, however, as good as can be expected, considering that the three weeks' board and lodging, together with five thousand miles' transportation, costs only twenty-five dollars.

Edited by RalphRackstraw

I enjoyed reading that first chapter. My, my, how far we have come since those voyages in 1884. I didn't understand the literary reference to "pard" and "scullions" but the details of life in steerage in those days were riveting.

Every time I see the title "My First 100 Years," I smile.

Ruby

I enjoyed reading that first chapter. My, my, how far we have come since those voyages in 1884. I didn't understand the literary reference to "pard" and "scullions" but the details of life in steerage in those days were riveting.

Every time I see the title "My First 100 Years," I smile.

Ruby

One can tell by his writing that Mr. Meriwether was intelligent, witty, and joyful at every age. As it happens, "bearded like the pard" is a phrase from Shakespeare's As You Like It, the famous passage which begins, "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players" and goes on to describe the Seven Ages of Man, the fourth of which is

Then a soldier,

Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard*,

Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,

Seeking the bubble reputation

Even in the cannon's mouth.

"Pard" is an archaic term for "leopard", a cat that Shakespeare imagined to have a beard.

A "scullion" is a male who works in the scullery, or kitchen:

Scullion, male counterpart to Scullery maid, servant who performed menial kitchen jobs (washing, cleaning, etc.) in large households during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance

22-year-old Lee, like many a fresh-faced new college graduate, salts his prose with proofs of his erudition. He doesn't fling Shakespearean English around in his later books, but he shows a deep understanding of the historic and literary associations of the places to which he travels. :)

Edited by RalphRackstraw

Ruby,

Thanks for your complement.

I am sure you will love visiting the Bay of Fundy, the Maritime States and Newfoundland.

In addition, there is a ferry which goes up the Labrador Coast, which is calling out for investigation.

September would be the best month. We were lucky to pick the best time and had good weather.

The locals told me September was usually the best weather. The Labour Day long weekend is busy, as people come from all over to get their children settled in University (cheapest in Canada). After that, it gets quiet and you can easily get car hire with unlimited mileage, accommodation, etc.

They have a very short summer season. This year summer didn't arrive until late, not long before we arrived.

I'll email you later.

I was there in September both time too. The weather was lovely - warm and sunny.

353%252520Sydney%252520NS.JPG

Edited by Host Sharon

Just to let you know I put a brief review of our CTMA Vacancier cruise up under Other Cruises.

WOW! And a double WOW-WOW!!! It was a most interesting read, especially as I had never heard of this Montreal-Magdalen Island cruise. Many thanks for all these cons and pros, as well as describing the generally positive shipboard atmosphere.

I googled CTMA Vacancier and was really impressed, as I had thought it might be a tugboat-sized vessel. I'm learning new things here.

Donald.

I was there in September both time too. The weather was lovely - warm and sunny.

Sharon & Marion - I am learning the geography of the Bay of Fundy vis-a-vis other possibilities like the Vacancier ferry. My particular focus is on the tides of that huge bay and accommodation choices along its 170-mile coastline. Monckton and Minister's Island keep popping up in information for viewing high and low tides along the Bay.

I'm very confused about Labrador and Newfoundland and the separate island of Newfoundland. Did you rent cars to get around Newfoundland? Did you enjoy a coach tour? I know that y'all particularly mentioned the hospitality of the locals. I'll look up the ferry around the Newfoundland area but I'm trying to get a handle on the area of the Bay of Fundy.

I enjoy so much rough seas while onboard ships, pounding surfs on coastlines, the sound of the mighty seas coming in thru my B&B window. It is a large part of my enjoyment of my condo in Kihei, Maui. I want to settle in for several days in New Brunswick to thoroughly enjoy what Mother Nature has wrought.

Long way to go with the research!

Ruby