Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Sharon & Marion -

I enjoy so much rough seas while onboard ships, pounding surfs on coastlines, the sound of the mighty seas coming in thru my B&B window. It is a large part of my enjoyment of my condo in Kihei, Maui. I want to settle in for several days in New Brunswick to thoroughly enjoy what Mother Nature has wrought.

Long way to go with the research!

Ruby

Newfoundland

This is an excellent website to start your planning, Ruby.

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

They will send you a 2011 Traveller's Guide - Lost and Found - as well as a map, which was very handy for independent travel. The design of the guide took some getting used to, but, once worked out, became our "Bible".

Have fun researching.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Comrades, and All Ships at Sea:

Having some spare time this evening, I enjoyed another 20-some pages and completed my reading of the Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007 archives!

Surely this must entitle one to a Ph.D. in Ocean-Travel Sociology, with emphasis on Promenade-Deck cabin peeking, Baked-Alaska Parades (with and without sparklers and twirling napkins), rijstafel dishes, the comparative meteorology of Vancouver and Texas, Turkish ceramics, polar bears, and highlights of 20th-century marine architecture...

And to think, so many wonderful pages remain to be written! :D

As founder and Board Member of the aforementioned “Saga University,” I hereby award to Monsieur Ralph Rackstraw the literary achievement of PhD (“love of wisdom”) in all things Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007, whose bravery in the face of potential blindness or visual impairment has met a personal goal of reading this entire thread, which he proves up by citing personal references to silliness, factoids, and impressive informational inputs by readers and correspondents throughout this tome. And, it is duly noted, that he fulfilled this thesis in record time. The Board is impressed.

Also hereby awarded to M. Rackstraw is the Lord Byron Certificate of Merit (motto: Roll on, thou deep and dark blue oceans, roll), recognizing the noble dedication and courage of M. Rackstraw to his appointed task.

In lieu of comments from Lee Meriwether, Saga Ruby extends personal congratulations to the discussant.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Congratulations to Ralph Rackstraw, PhD! Glad to hear that you have been enjoying reading this thread so far.

Speaking of the weather, yesterday Vancouver had its first sub-10C (50F) of the Fall, with a high of 9.8C. The overnight low was 2.2C (36F). Recently it was reported that due to the La Nina current in the Pacific Ocean this coming winter will be the coldest in Vancouver in 20 years. :eek:

The dog, Frankie, just loves this cool weather. After I've walked her for 90 minutes and arrived outside her home, she has balked and wanted to stay outdoors some more, so I've walked her around the block before firmly leading her inside. I think that she is lonely at home with her owner working from 7am to 5pm. Too bad that I have 2 cats or I would've brought her home with me for part of the afternoon just to give her company.

Donald.

Congratulations to Ralph on such a high level of achievement. I'm not sure I have read every thread fom the beginning!

On another topic i am pleased to say I survived the ordeal by fire on Saturday and my talk at the London International Ship Show was well received (so much so, I was asked if I was available next year!) . Phew! Now I can down to the pleasant pre-cruise preparations - with a bit of proof-reading thrown in next week I hope !

Edited by Host Sharon

On another topic i am pleased to say I survived the ordeal by fire on Saturday and my talk at the London International Ship Show was well received (so much so, I was asked if I was available next year!) . Phew! Now I can down to the pleasant pre-cruise preparations - with a bit of proof-reading thrown in next week I hope!

Sharon - Congratulations on wowing 'em at the ISS. What topic did you choose? And being invited back for 2012 - wunderbar.

About your cruise to what I choose to call The Holy Land - a neighbor recently returned from Israel and kindly brought a bookmark from a local kibbutz for my collection. I was thrilled to receive a good-quality souvenir stamped by the kibbutz which made it. "Made in China" dominates the souvenir world and what a treat to have something made in the country visited.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Zowie! Qantas has grounded all of its aircraft due to a labour dispute. There are 108 planes on the ground in 22 global cities. And the Melbourne Cup is running today.

So far in my travel life, I have been lucky to avoid exploding volcanoes, Italian rail and taxi strikes, and now QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territories Air Service).

My sympathy goes out to the innocent travelers caught in this Gordian Knot.

Ruby

Zowie! Qantas has grounded all of its aircraft due to a labour dispute. There are 108 planes on the ground in 22 global cities. And the Melbourne Cup is running today.

So far in my travel life, I have been lucky to avoid exploding volcanoes, Italian rail and taxi strikes, and now QANTAS (Queensland and Northern Territories Air Service).

My sympathy goes out to the innocent travelers caught in this Gordian Knot.

Ruby

My daughter was on a Qantas plane in Sydney, ready to fly to Canberra, when the pilot came on and said "This is not a joke".

Words cannot express how disgusted I am with the Qantas Board's decision to ground the whole Qantas fleet immediately.

I feel so sorry for their passengers all over the world.

Sharon - Congratulations on wowing 'em at the ISS. What topic did you choose? And being invited back for 2012 - wunderbar.

About your cruise to what I choose to call The Holy Land - a neighbor recently returned from Israel and kindly brought a bookmark from a local kibbutz for my collection. I was thrilled to receive a good-quality souvenir stamped by the kibbutz which made it. "Made in China" dominates the souvenir world and what a treat to have something made in the country visited.

Ruby

Hi Ruby - the theme of the show was the German cruise market so I was asked to talk about Artemis and her conversion into Artania for Phoenix Reisen.

I shall look out for authentic souvenirs - one of my excursions includes lunch on a kibbutz. Three weeks to go!

On an aside - but to illustrate the wonderful people who work on cruise ships, I emailed Oceana, on which I am due to travel soon, and asked if they were going to have ship-made Christmas cakes on sale, similar to those I bought last year on Artemis. My reason being that if not, I would buy one here before I left so as to minimise the amout of shopping I need to do on my return. The reply back said they were not planning to make any this year, but the executive chef would be happy to make one for me to bring home! How is that for service! i was (to use the local vernacular), gobsmacked.

I seem to have missed the Quantas strike - how long is that likely to go on for ?

Edited by Host Sharon

Words cannot express how disgusted I am with the Qantas Board's decision to ground the whole Qantas fleet immediately. I feel so sorry for their passengers all over the world.

I agree about feeling sorry for the passengers. What colossal stupidity on the part of the QANTAS board. A similar decision years ago was a company saying that, since everybody liked Coca-Cola, we'll stop production on that formula and force you to drink New Coke. And the recent Netflix disaster - how can upper management be so stupid? For QANTAS to leave passengers and crew stranded all over the world - so wrong-headed.

I seem to have missed the Qantas strike - how long is that likely to go on for ?

In later news, the government of Oz is expressing dismay and will definitely get involved in this disastrous decision on the part of the QANTAS board. In the meantime, that national airline is losing customers by the bushel basket.

Ruby

I agree about feeling sorry for the passengers. What colossal stupidity on the part of the QANTAS board. A similar decision years ago was a company saying that, since everybody liked Coca-Cola, we'll stop production on that formula and force you to drink New Coke. And the recent Netflix disaster - how can upper management be so stupid? For QANTAS to leave passengers and crew stranded all over the world - so wrong-headed.

In later news, the government of Oz is expressing dismay and will definitely get involved in this disastrous decision on the part of the QANTAS board. In the meantime, that national airline is losing customers by the bushel basket.

Ruby

There is another meeting of Fair Work Australia scheduled for 2 pm.

Qantas are advising -

If you are travelling in the next few days/weeks, please monitor the situation on qantas.com. We recommend that you do not change your booking until closer to the date of departure.

Which leads me to think that Qantas expects to cease the lock out sooner, rather than later.

Qantas has lost a lot of credibility because they have included domestic pilots, who are not in industrial dispute, with members of three other unions who are, in the lock out.

Edited by MMDown Under

Which leads me to think that Qantas expects to cease the lock out sooner, rather than later.

Qantas has lost a lot of credibility because they have included domestic pilots, who are not in industrial dispute, with members of three other unions who are, in the lock out.

I read on the Web that Qantas will be flying again on Monday, evidently due to government intervention, something about a 21-day cooling-off period. What is the attitude of Aussies toward this high-flying mess? I agree with you that the airline has, to say the least, lost credibility. It would be hard to trust them again. But how does one avoid flying one's national airline?

Ruby

i am off to australia this saturday not ion quantas i am glad to say. flying to dubai with etihad then to sydney and melbourne using jetstar so hope they are ok. then doing a 2 nt cruise sydney to sydney obn radiance of the seas i get back on 23rd

i noticed from sharon about iss what is that. i was at ship show in london they did a german ships theme too it was really good.

dave

i am off to australia this saturday not ion quantas i am glad to say. flying to dubai with etihad then to sydney and melbourne using jetstar so hope they are ok. then doing a 2 nt cruise sydney to sydney obn radiance of the seas i get back on 23rd

i noticed from sharon about iss what is that. i was at ship show in london they did a german ships theme too it was really good.

dave

Didn't see you there Dave. I gave a talk at 12.30 about Artania (ex Royal Princess/Artemis) as part of the German theme.

Hope you enjoy Radiance. That's a long way to go for a 2 night cruise?

Salut, les camarades!

Lady Rackstraw has forwarded a consignment of materials relating to one of the greatest liners of the 1960's, the mighty France.

First, a brochure page:

FranceTourist.jpg

Here are the Rackstraw boys at the terminal in Le Havre, 16 July 1965, having just arrived by the Boat Train from Paris, preparing to embark. Left to right: Robin Hood Rackstraw, 15; Richard Lionheart Rackstraw, 16; Zebulon Rackstraw, 6; Ralph Rackstraw, 10 (11th birthday tomorrow!). Flight bags courtesy of Danzas, our travel agents for many years.

FranceHavre.jpg

I read on the Web that Qantas will be flying again on Monday, evidently due to government intervention, something about a 21-day cooling-off period. What is the attitude of Aussies toward this high-flying mess? I agree with you that the airline has, to say the least, lost credibility. It would be hard to trust them again. But how does one avoid flying one's national airline?

Ruby

Yes, the flying kangaroo is flying again. There is to be no further industrial action by either party. If they haven't resolved their dispute themselves by 21 days, Fair Work will arbitrate.

I don't think the Australian people have been conned that there was no other choice but to halt all the Qantas planes worldwide, with an announced lock-out.

Seems unions have to give 72 hours notice of industrial action, but companies didn't have to give any notice! New legislation is being written to amend that loophole.

Australian residents, who were caught out by the unannounced stoppage, have been offered a free flight anywhere in Australia or New Zealand, on top of reimbursement of flight expenditure, etc. So it seems that Qantas knows it has a lot of work to do to gain their customers' respect back!

Salut, les camarades!

Lady Rackstraw has forwarded a consignment of materials relating to one of the greatest liners of the 1960's, the mighty France. Here are the Rackstraw boys at the terminal in Le Havre, 16 July 1965, having just arrived by the Boat Train from Paris, preparing to embark. Left to right: Robin Hood Rackstraw, 15; Richard Lionheart Rackstraw, 16; Zebulon Rackstraw, 6; Ralph Rackstraw, 10 (11th birthday tomorrow!). Flight bags courtesy of Danzas, our travel agents for many years.

Ralph - The photos from Lady Rackstraw leave me misty-eyed. My parents sailed out of NYC on S.S. France and I attended the Bon Voyage party where a waiter taught me to pronounce correctly un peu. Those vivid Art Deco colours in the suites were a hoot. The photo of the four Rackstraw brothers looks like a Flemish painting, perhaps Night Watch? Loverly. Did you and your freres behave yourselves on that crossing and, if so, why?

Yes, the flying kangaroo is flying again. There is to be no further industrial action by either party. If they haven't resolved their dispute themselves by 21 days, Fair Work will arbitrate. Australian residents, who were caught out by the unannounced stoppage, have been offered a free flight anywhere in Australia or New Zealand, on top of reimbursement of flight expenditure, etc. So it seems that Qantas knows it has a lot of work to do to gain their customers' respect back!

My head aches. Why did Qantas shut down their airline, maroon thousands of pax and crew around the world, now they are offering stawberries-and-cream compensation to those same abandoned pax. Where oh where is the corporate logic? Oh.Wait.There is none.

Marion - On a more positive note, today I received a small brochure from the Bay of Fundy tourism bureau and a very thick Lost and Found mailing from the Newfoundland folks. I'll enjoy perusing this info throughout the winter and make choices for next fall. Thanks for the informative tips you gave me.

Ruby

I agree with Ruby that the photograph of the four mischievous boys waiting to embark on the ship is evocative of the atmosphere of Night Watch.

All this talk about France got me to rummaging in my small transatlantic archives. I found a pamphlet publicizing the liner soon to enter service - I've attached the front and back of that pamphlet.

aaaFrance1a.jpg

aaaFrance1b.jpg

Here is the cover of the deck plan of that liner. I love the way the letters of "French Line" undulate like the waves of the ocean.

aaaFrance2.jpg

Donald.

My head aches. Why did Qantas shut down their airline, maroon thousands of pax and crew around the world, now they are offering stawberries-and-cream compensation to those same abandoned pax. Where oh where is the corporate logic? Oh.Wait.There is none.

Marion - On a more positive note, today I received a small brochure from the Bay of Fundy tourism bureau and a very thick Lost and Found mailing from the Newfoundland folks. I'll enjoy perusing this info throughout the winter and make choices for next fall. Thanks for the informative tips you gave me.

Ruby

Ruby - Qantas was too smart by half! Pity they forgot to close on-line bookings and stop accepting money from people buying tickets for three and a half hours after they grounded all their aircraft worldwide.

Pity they didn't provide accommodation for stranded passengers, as they stated they did. Pity they didn't trust their own employees enough to have them prepared to handle the chaos.

I've heard reports some Qantas pilot are shifting to Emirates. Emirates already have a big presence in Australia, through their sport sponsorships, including our much loved horse race, the Melbourne Cup. Might be time I give Emirates a go!

Guess it shows I'm annoyed at Qantas management!

Don't you just love getting shiny new travel brochures from exotic locations? I have never lost the child like joy of receiving such mail, which forms the basis of travel dreams of the future. Enjoy!

Does anyone besides me suffer from PCD, post cruise depression? We were having such a wonderful time aboard Silver Spirit but then someone looked at the calendar and realized that the day had come when we had to disembark and return to reality. We had a great time for fifteen days on the ship. There’s really something very special about a transoceanic voyage with all those wonderful sea days offering opportunities to meet new people, relax, eat, read some good books, eat some more. The crossing was fairly smooth. There were a few days with moderate seas but a little motion on the ocean is okay with me. It was a warm crossing with an occasional brief shower when the sun wasn’t shining, which it was at least most of the time. We saw rainbows almost every day and they are quite beautiful at sea. Silversea does a fine job of taking care of their passengers…oops, I mean “guests” and keeping them happy. No cruise line is perfect but they try real hard and address any issues presented to them. We were 410 passengers and well over half were repeaters. At the Venetian Society party only those with 700+ days were mentioned by name. We were not but that gives us a goal to shoot for!

Peter Knego, who writes a blog for MaritimeMatters was aboard (a complete surprise to me) and I was very glad to finally meet him after communicating about ships over the internet. Peter has been blogging about the cruise (Crossing on The Silver Spirit) saving me the bother of writing about the ship and the ports we visited.

It’s good to be safely home and now I have the winter to plan another trip.

At the Venetian Society party only those with 700+ days were mentioned by name. We were not but that gives us a goal to shoot for!

Peter Knego, who writes a blog for MaritimeMatters was aboard (a complete surprise to me) and I was very glad to finally meet him after communicating about ships over the internet. Peter has been blogging about the cruise (Crossing on The Silver Spirit) saving me the bother of writing about the ship and the ports we visited.

It’s good to be safely home and now I have the winter to plan another trip.

Welcome home, Conte. You obviously had a wunderbar cruise - I'm keen to hear if you have any comments of comparison between Spirit and Wind or Cloud. Did the larger ship have any pluses or minuses for you?

I don't suffer from post-cruise depression. I do, however, suffer from having to do everything at home myself. It is such a grand, artificial world onboard a good ship - that I do miss!

Wow! Peter Knego was onboard! How nice to finally meet him; he has quite a good reputation amongst you ship-daft folk. And he seems to have a fine collection of mementoes from ships gone to that final heavenly port in the sky. I'll look forward to reading his blog.

Ruby

Indeed, welcome home, Conte! Time to polish up your memories of the France.

Ralph - The photos from Lady Rackstraw leave me misty-eyed. My parents sailed out of NYC on S.S. France and I attended the Bon Voyage party where a waiter taught me to pronounce correctly un peu. Those vivid Art Deco colours in the suites were a hoot. The photo of the four Rackstraw brothers looks like a Flemish painting, perhaps Night Watch? Loverly. Did you and your freres behave yourselves on that crossing and, if so, why?

Ruby

Here are the deck plans Mother provided. As she reminded me, Lord Rackstraw flew to the States separately in July 1965, so Her Ladyship was left alone to ride herd on the thundering mob of Rackstraw lads. She wisely booked a single cabin for herself, and a 4-berth (two bunk beds) for the juveniles. It was an inside cabin, probably P.233, marked with an X. My most vivid memory is of the absolute darkness we achieved in that cabin by switching out the lights; we took advantage of this to stage free-for-all blind pillow fights. Amazingly, none of the furniture was broken, and no tears were shed: I suspect the big lads were not swinging with their full strength, and, in the darkness, being small and agile was an advantage; I remember getting in some good hits and coming through almost unscathed!

FranceProm.jpg

We had spent Bastille Day in Paris. I eagerly awaited the fireworks, but just as darkness fell, a tremendous thunderstorm deluged the city. I think many of the planned fireworks failed to ignite, but we had a spectacular display of lightning. Zebulon and I watched from the hotel balcony. My two older brothers, who had been enjoying the privilege of roaming the streets, returned to the hotel looking like drowned rats at evening's end.

FranceU.jpg

How about that wonderful open promenade at the stern! :D

Ruby - Qantas was too smart by half! Pity they forgot to close on-line bookings and stop accepting money from people buying tickets for three and a half hours after they grounded all their aircraft worldwide. Pity they didn't provide accommodation for stranded passengers, as they stated they did. Pity they didn't trust their own employees enough to have them prepared to handle the chaos.

I've heard reports some Qantas pilot are shifting to Emirates. Emirates already have a big presence in Australia, through their sport sponsorships, including our much loved horse race, the Melbourne Cup. Might be time I give Emirates a go!

Don't you just love getting shiny new travel brochures from exotic locations? I have never lost the child like joy of receiving such mail, which forms the basis of travel dreams of the future. Enjoy!

Marion - A pox on all the houses at Qantas upper management. Wrong, wrong, wrong. On the other end of the scale, I know several people who have flown Emirates and the praise is unstinting. If the occasion arises, I would be happy to try this airline and see how it compares to Singapore Air, a favourite airline of mine.

You have exactly described my feelings about getting "shiny new travel brochures." It does, indeed, give me joy to research and make choices for my next trip. What a great way to pass the winter nights.

A salute to all veterans of foreign wars on this, our US Veterans' Day. I appreciate always your service which makes me so proud to present my US passport as I travel freely overseas. Many thanks for your service.

Ruby

Thinking of your veterans, past and present, on your Veterans Day.

Many Australians, myself included, were silent for two minutes at 11 am on 11th of the 11th, for our Remembrance Day.

It is nice to see people still follow this tradition, wherever they are. I heard that they even held two minutes' silence before a scheduled 11 am wedding.

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/remembrance/tradition/