Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

This is the rest of the CC news article -

"So where could the ship be going? Back in 2009, when Saga acquired it at auction, Saga Pearl II was originally earmarked for Spirit of Adventure, a small cruise brand aimed at over-21s owned by the same company as Saga, Acromas Holdings. But when Saga got rid of the ageing Saga Rose at the end of 2009, it needed a ship, so Quest for Adventure, as the new Spirit of Adventure ship was due to be called, never happened, and the vessel was launched as Saga Pearl II instead.

We're told by a Saga spokesman that an announcement is due to be made later this week but fans of SPII, as it's affectionately known, must be wondering what's going on. There's nothing on the Spirit of Adventure Web site yet to suggest a new ship is coming, although that seems a likely destination for the vessel.

Saga's new ship, to be called Saga Sapphire, debuts on 26 March 2012, and will undergo a multi-million pound refit before its premiere."

Saga Pearl II is staying in the group though, transferring to Spirit of Adventure, which was where she was originally going before Saga Rose left. She'll probably come back when Saga Ruby is retired in a couple of years!

Sharon, yesterday I received my copy of Sea Lines and David Trevor-Jones' review of your book Artemis was thumbs-up. Way to go! :)

Donald.

Thanks Donald - yes I met David on board Artemis' Christmas Markets cruise, where he was clutching his review copy while looking over the ship for the first and last time. Obviously those drinks we enjoyed in the Horizon Lounge did the trick ;)

What's with this $60 pppd charge on HAl - I've never come across that before.

Edited by Host Sharon

Oh, my aching head! Trying to sort out HAL's "hold" charges (boo! hiss!), Saga Pearl II becomes Quest for Adventure, Oceania brought out their shiny new Marina this year then bumps Insignia out for charter for the foreseeable future. Oy vey!

Donald - What is Sea Lines? A magazine, a Web site, what? You seem to be getting some good info from it.

Galaxy - I read your entire Web site and enjoyed it. One notices that, no matter the ship, they all look gorgeous with that kind of naturally beautiful geography in the background.

Sharon - do you have factual info on the retirement of Saga Ruby from Saga Holidays? I've lost track of her and have no interest in the other "new" Saga ships. In reading about the comings and goings of Saga ships, I'm beginning to think that I want the Saga refurbishment contract for their acquisitions!

Ruby

Donald - What is Sea Lines? A magazine, a Web site, what? You seem to be getting some good info from it.

Ruby, Sea Lines is the glossy magazine of the Ocean Liner Society, and is printed four times yearly. Each issue usually contains three well-written articles about historical and current passenger ships, as well as a book review and a section containing news about whatever is happening with cruise ships around the world - charters, name changes, accidents, scrappings and so on.

One of the guys in this thread mentioned Sea Lines about three years ago, and I've subscribed to it since then. I enjoy each issue.

Donald.

Today I received the expected change in itinerary of my September cruise. We were originally scheduled to disembark in Tokyo, tour the city, then the tour coaches would drive us to Narita, the international airport. With this new itinerary, we will depart the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, sail past the entire eastern coastline of Japan then disembark in Incheon, the port of Seoul. [Digression - the new spelling is Incheon, I learned Inchon. What's the change about? It's like Cuzco is now Cusco.]

I have mixed feelings about the changes but, with the agonal side effects for Japan of the massive earthquake, the tsunami which wiped out two small towns on our scheduled ports, the devastated nuclear plants, this change in itinerary is the only way to assure the safety of the passengers on Silver Shadow. The possibility of a strong aftershock crosses my mind.

The only downside to this change is that I will probably not see the city of Tokyo. I'll book a domestic flight from Incheon to Narita, then continue home on my scheduled nonstop. South Korea will make the 96th country on my lifetime traveler's list but I wish I could have done the day trip in Tokyo. It is possible to book a personal car and driver for a r/t from Narita into Tokyo then back to the airport but it would cost a literal fortune and one questions the wisdom of such a plan.

If anyone has any input, I would enjoy hearing your suggestions.

Ruby

That's a pity about Tokyo but I can quite understand the issues. At least you will get to see some places off the normal beaten track though.

The complications of the itinerary change are long and extensive. Who knew what a tidal wave of details would be created by the Japanese tsunami? In a 21-day cruise, we will have 12 sea days which is peachy keeno with me - my Kindle will play a key role in my onboard experience. But I suspect this cruise will put Paid to my international travels - it's time to enjoy the US and Canada. What a rare treat it would be to have a 3- or 4-hr. flight somewhere in North America.

Huzzah for Will & Kate! It was great fun seeing the fashions on the ladies and I felt that Kate's wedding dress was a triumph over the poufy monstrosity that Diana wore. Did you wear your fascinator while watching the proceedings on the telly or were you "on the ground" at Buck House?

Marion - were you enjoying the beautiful wedding proceedings or were you thinking about the taxes that went to pay for this royal event?

Ruby

The complications of the itinerary change are long and extensive. Who knew what a tidal wave of details would be created by the Japanese tsunami? In a 21-day cruise, we will have 12 sea days which is peachy keeno with me - my Kindle will play a key role in my onboard experience. But I suspect this cruise will put Paid to my international travels

Huzzah for Will & Kate! It was great fun seeing the fashions on the ladies and I felt that Kate's wedding dress was a triumph over the poufy monstrosity that Diana wore. Did you wear your fascinator while watching the proceedings on the telly or were you "on the ground" at Buck House?

Marion - were you enjoying the beautiful wedding proceedings or were you thinking about the taxes that went to pay for this royal event?

Ruby

Ah - sorry about the complications Ruby. I guess I assumed it would all be taken care of by the cruise line.

We have lost Tripoli from my November cruise (for obvious reasons) and currently have Alexandria substituted. Not having been there either, I am not too disappointed but who knows what will happen by then ! Beirut may be safer :eek:

Yes - I watched the wedding at home (not in any special headwear though !). I thought it a beautiful and restrained ceremony, and all thoughts of the effect on my taxes were offset by the huge number of foreign tourists who came to London for the event !:D

It also got me in the mood for spending the afternoon finding out which evening clothes still fit me for Balmoral in a couple of weeks. Hmmmm - well it was a long cold winter! Too much warming food I think !

Ah - sorry about the complications Ruby. I guess I assumed it would all be taken care of by the cruise line.

We have lost Tripoli from my November cruise (for obvious reasons) and currently have Alexandria substituted. Not having been there either, I am not too disappointed but who knows what will happen by then ! Beirut may be safer :eek:

It also got me in the mood for spending the afternoon finding out which evening clothes still fit me for Balmoral in a couple of weeks. Hmmmm - well it was a long cold winter! Too much warming food I think !

About arrangements for my personal travel by any outside source - I never use TAs or cruise lines' customer service to make my plans. A cruise line's idea of "free air" is to have us get up at 3:00am for a 6:00am flight which makes two stops on the "direct" route and loses one of my cases. I am a dedicated "nonstop" airline traveler.

So when an itinerary changes, as mine did, it is the rock that starts the avalanche and I begin the process of learning a new geography in detail. As I have often said, I am green with envy of those of you who live close to a coastline and can take personal or local transportation to a pier which is only a dream for me. Conte has a long list of cruises taken and ships visited which is a shining example of living in an area that allows that scenario.

By the bye, I stood at a ticket counter at DFW Airport for 1.5 hours while 3 agents tried to figure out how to use my 20% employee discount on the Incheon to Tokyo Narita leg.

Donald - what weather do you expect in Alaska in mid-May? Heavy jacket, weatherproof, light jacket, brolly? And Sharon, I hope that you enjoy picking out wardrobe choices. Maybe they will get even snugger after your cruise! What fun!

Ruby

Snugger - hey - there ain't no room for snugger !!!!

I realise that living a three hour drive from Southampton can make one blase about travel, and I have yet to try the delights of Terminal 5 !! One reason why I have tried not to fly for cruises, but I guess the time will come, particularly to reach further afield. Actually here, it is the short haul routes that are harder. I was looking at some HAL and Voyages of Discovery cruises that start in one port - say Harwich or Dover and end in say Copenhagen. There is no point driving to Harwich or Dover if you have to fly back to Gatwick and with public transport so expensive and unreliable in the UK, I really can't face that so I do sympathise Ruby.

Donald - what weather do you expect in Alaska in mid-May? Heavy jacket, weatherproof, light jacket, brolly?

Ruby

Ruby, weather in Alaska is unpredictable anytime between May and September. Would you believe that the coldest that I've ever experienced there was during the month of July a few years ago?

In the past, I've worn shorts, T-shirts and sandals in Alaska during May, but in other years during the same month I would be bundled in layers of warm clothing, cap and gloves as I struggled to walk against freezing wind.

I will bring layers of clothes so that I will be prepared for any kind of weather. Celebrity has umbrellas in the cabins of Elite level cruisers, or perhaps they've now left a couple of umbrellas in each cabin on Alaska cruises.

On my Alaska cruise next month I will be accompanied by a friend who had begged to go with me. He and I are drinking buddies. I hope that it will go well, as I am accustomed to sailing on my own and doing whatever I want, whenever I want. We'll see, we'll see ...

Donald.

On my Alaska cruise next month I will be accompanied by a friend who had begged to go with me. He and I are drinking buddies. I hope that it will go well, as I am accustomed to sailing on my own and doing whatever I want, whenever I want. We'll see, we'll see ...

Donald.

I know exactly what you mean Donald. From my experience you need to have a few agreements from the start. For example - there is no need to do EVERYTHING together and if one person particularly wants to do something then they should feel free to do it. After all it is a holiday for both of you. Have fun - it sounds great. Alaska is on my bucket list.

Ruby, weather in Alaska is unpredictable anytime between May and September. Would you believe that the coldest that I've ever experienced there was during the month of July a few years ago?

On my Alaska cruise next month I will be accompanied by a friend who had begged to go with me. He and I are drinking buddies. I hope that it will go well, as I am accustomed to sailing on my own and doing whatever I want, whenever I want. We'll see, we'll see ... Donald.

Oops! I read "Pacific Northwest" and thought "Alaska." What are the ports on this itinerary?

In regard to your friend on your Alaska cruise - we will await your report after you get home. I enjoy my solitude and am curious to see how you work out the details of having a friend onboard.

Ruby

Sharon - what is your personal philosophy about packing? Do you wait until the last minute, have your cases been by the front door for weeks, is the fascinator going with?

Enjoy driving off to the port of Soton, have a wonderful trip, and be sure to bring back the juicy details!

Bon Voyage!

Ruby

Oops! I read "Pacific Northwest" and thought "Alaska." What are the ports on this itinerary?

In regard to your friend on your Alaska cruise - we will await your report after you get home. I enjoy my solitude and am curious to see how you work out the details of having a friend onboard.

Ruby

Ruby, I am not sure which itinerary you are asking about, so I will list both.

Pacific Northwest ports: overnight in San Francisco, Astoria, Victoria & Nanaimo. I plan to take a Haunted Houses Tour in Astoria, as this a greater appeal to me than flowers, museums and cooking tours. I am also interested in a whale-watching tour in Victoria.

Alaska ports: Icy Strait Point, Juneau & Ketchikan. This will be my friend's second time to Alaska after five or six years, so I don't mind doing these places with him. I doubt, though, that he would be interested in browsing book stores with me. He can stand outside if he wants to. :D

Yes, I will let you know afterwards how this non-solitude was for me.

Donald.

Sharon - what is your personal philosophy about packing? Do you wait until the last minute, have your cases been by the front door for weeks, is the fascinator going with?

Enjoy driving off to the port of Soton, have a wonderful trip, and be sure to bring back the juicy details!

Bon Voyage!

Ruby

Thanks for the Bon Voyage Ruby. Well, the cases have been out for around three four weeks "airing"! I have thrown a few things in but now with a few days to go I have hung everything I think I need to pack on a rail in the spare room. I physically pack at the last minute but spend a week or two sorting what to take first and putting it aside, washed and ironed. My problem is I never seem to go anywhere with a reliable climate so need to be prepared for everything!

No - the fascniator is not going with me this time round. I think that's a QM2 only item !

I will certainly bring back the details - whether they will be juicy of not tremains to be seen !!

Sharon, I am flying to San Diego on Friday morning and I haven't even started to choose my clothes. I will do so this afternoon. I will bring up my suitcase on Wednesday, so that the cats will get used to the idea of my imminent departure. :D

Donald.

Sharon, I am flying to San Diego on Friday morning and I haven't even started to choose my clothes. I will do so this afternoon. I will bring up my suitcase on Wednesday, so that the cats will get used to the idea of my imminent departure. :D

Donald.

Stop showing off Donald !! Anyway, it is so much easier for men !! A couple of suits and/or tux and casual trousers, shirts etc, swimwear and you are done!! I am one of those packers for every conceivable situation - sightseeing, hot, cold, wet, dry..........on board, cold, hot, on deck, inside........ I know I should have it sussed by now, but there again it all adds to the excitment and build up !

Pacific Northwest ports: overnight in San Francisco, Astoria, Victoria & Nanaimo. I plan to take a Haunted Houses Tour in Astoria, as this a greater appeal to me than flowers, museums and cooking tours. I am also interested in a whale-watching tour in Victoria.Donald

Gosh, you got me on that one! I haven't seen that cruise itinerary before but hey! I'm a Texan, okay?!! I had to pull up Google maps and work thru the port stops. Are you worried about the Haunted House? What if you feel a breath on your shoulder or see mist in the corridors? Is that a good thing - or not?

One suggestion about whale watching - if the whale is white, you might want to keep a close eye on it.

Do your cats take advantage of your absence? Pop a cold one, relax on your best chair, turn the TV on to Animal Planet?

Bon voyage, Donald. Have a wonderful time.

Ruby

Ruby

I loved every minute of the Royal Wedding, Ruby. As I'm a Royalist, I immediately starting thinking how I could arrange a visit to London next year for the Queen's Anniversary.

We enjoyed a family wedding the next day, in Sydney, so I was in wedding heaven!

We have just returned from touring, before and after the wedding - Katoomba (Blue Mountains), Scone Horse Festival, Barrington Tops, and Dorrigo National Park - beautiful regions of New South Wales.

Thinking of your on your cruises and hoping you are both having a wonderful time.

Re your travelling companion, I agree with Sharon, Donald, that you don't need to do everything together. That is one of the wonderful things about cruising, as you can keep to your own preferred hours and interests.