Tahiti vs. Caribbean?

Lisa616

Pat, that's strange because my TA (you know who), told me I would still be routed through LA if I jumped on the PG again. For us it's the same drill as Richard--fly to LA (5 hours or so), spend the night in a hotel, visit the sister-in-law, board ATN the next day, spend the night in a hotel in Papeete (or 2 or 3 if we can afford the time), then board the ship. We usually fly straight back to Toronto through LA on the way back, not worth staying overnight since we get to LA first thing in the morning.

Lisa, let's hope it works out for next December and we can meet! For us the 7-day trip from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale is an easy 3-hour jump, quite a difference from Tahiti (and a lot cheaper!) As I said, it's just a nice de-stressing break, not a "trip of a lifetime" which each one of our PG trips has been (especially the first!)

We've been to Tahiti 4 times -- once on the PG. Regent does a great job -- being on the PG is a wonderful experience and it will not last forever. Since being purchased in 2005 (by Grand Circle Travel), Regent has been on a year to year contract to "manage" the PG. I heard yesterday that they will "most likely" continue to manage her through 2008 but the end is no doubt in sight.

Friends who were on board around the time she was sold tell pretty dismal stories about how the food, service, etc. was being downgraded under GCT management. Fortunately Regent resumed management quickly and it's been fine since then.

We do prefer Tahiti over the Carribean -- in our case, we start from the West Coast so the flight isn't so bad. If we need warm weather, we hop over to Hawaii -- a relatively quick flight for us. On March 28th we will be on the Navigator going to the Western Carribean and are really looking forward to the cruise (takes us three flights to get to Ft. Lauderdale).

My point here really is just to have the experience of crusing the PG if you can -- it's definitely worth it!:)

BTW, I just read over at tahit-explorer.com that the Monday flight NYC-PPT has been cancelled, i.e., will no longer run.

Yes, I agree about the PG. I was on her not long after the sale, and it wasn't dismal at all, but there were some sad faces, and the food was not up to snuff. I've been so glad to hear that she's doing well again, with Siglo back and all. We will try to go again before the end, although the alternative isn't so bad--do a land trip to the islands.

Hi Wendy:

Yes, I know what you mean. The first time we went we were over nighted and routed through LA.....but so far for our next trip we were told we would go through New York on the way there......so we opted to use points to LAX and then take Regent's air from there. I don't know if it has anything to do with the day of travel or if it had to do with us flying in to Tahiti and then out of Fiji but that's what Regent told me would be our air when we booked 10 months ago for cruise 18 months away. I don't know how Regent would really know air schedules that far in advance as most airlines only post less then 329 days before so you could be right on the money. Interesting about the Monday New York run being cancelled. Thanks for the info!

Pat

I think I have DH talked into it!! but we can only go in mid Jan. to mid Feb. has anyone been there in those months and if so, how's the weather? We are travelling with another couple and are so excited about this trip! we could do a precruise for a night and maybe 1 after, but that's about it. We have school agers, so it's hard to get away for longer than 8 or 9 days. WE did the Windstar this past year and were gone 9 days and that was about our max!

I think I have DH talked into it!! but we can only go in mid Jan. to mid Feb. has anyone been there in those months and if so, how's the weather? We are travelling with another couple and are so excited about this trip! we could do a precruise for a night and maybe 1 after, but that's about it. We have school agers, so it's hard to get away for longer than 8 or 9 days. WE did the Windstar this past year and were gone 9 days and that was about our max!

Even getting there a day before helps you to rest up so that you are not bagged when embarking the ship. The weather thing is a toss up. Friends that went in July of this year, one of the best months supposedly for weather had an awful lot of rain. So it really depends on Mother Nature, who these days especially is very unpredictable. It will be warm and maybe rain a little during the night and sometimes during the day at the worst but it doesn't last for days on end so I really wouldn't worry about it. It's not like they have a hurricane season as in the Caribbean. We went mid March last time and had excellent weather. We had the odd shower and then before you knew it the sun was out shining again. I'm excited for you Lisa, I hope it all works out for you.

Pat

Hi Richard. I'm female FYI :) .

SHE CERTAINLY IS!!!!!!!!!! :D

There are only 2 flights a week now NY - PPT. Regent just routed us from NY to PPT, and they are no longer doing an overnight in LA. Instead, we have 3 hours from the time our NY -LAX flight lands until the LAX to PPT flight leaves. That's going to be alot of flying in one day. I think a direct flight from NY would have been better because it is uninterrupted, allowing for a better sleep on the flight. I would prefer to stay overnight in LA, but that's not what Regent air is doing now.

Here is another alternative, though slightly longer in travel time: Non-stop Newark to Honolulu (Continental-10 1/2 hours)), overnight in HNL, and then Honolulu to Papeete (Hawaiian - 5 1/2 hours).

This gives you an overnight in HNL and allows you to arrive in Tahiti with a more flexible schedule should you want to spend a few days there (or Moorea or Bora Bora) pre-cruise.

Interesting that from NY they are managing to do without the "forced overnight" in LA. I guess I'm lucky to be in Toronto, since at last report, they still do that. Even if they did not, I would pay the deviation fee and get the night in L.A. It's worth it, imho. Of course you have to pay for your own hotel room in that case as well.

Here is another alternative, though slightly longer in travel time: Non-stop Newark to Honolulu (Continental-10 1/2 hours)), overnight in HNL, and then Honolulu to Papeete (Hawaiian - 5 1/2 hours).

This gives you an overnight in HNL and allows you to arrive in Tahiti with a more flexible schedule should you want to spend a few days there (or Moorea or Bora Bora) pre-cruise.

We checked that out too and it's a good alternative if you can make the flights work. Problem is that Hawaiian only flys to Tahiti once a week on Saturdays and returns only on a Sunday.......but after just checking their website it's nice to know that they finally got rid of that old DC9 they used to use and replaced it with a newer jet. The thought of flying on a plane about 30-35 years old scared the willies out of me.......another reason why I never fly Northwest either........they have a lot of those old clunkers too.

Pat

Interesting that from NY they are managing to do without the "forced overnight" in LA. I guess I'm lucky to be in Toronto, since at last report, they still do that. Even if they did not, I would pay the deviation fee and get the night in L.A. It's worth it, imho. Of course you have to pay for your own hotel room in that case as well.

We are flying from PHL to LAX and Regent is giving us a night in LA and the PPT flight is the next morning. I wonder why some of us have this and others don't? We are doing one night at the Intercontinental so I wonder if that makes a difference?

We don't overnight on the way back and have opted to get a day room at the LA hilton to rest up before going back to PHL. According to the hotel the room is from 10 am to 6 pm but since we don't get in until after 1 pm our TA told us to ask the hotel is we can stay until 8 pm. I find this really unlikely but I guess she didn't want to tell use how much we paid for a room will only have about 5 hours. :( But I don't really see a choice; I am not staying in the airport from 1:30 to 10 pm.

Ah well. Today was final payment day.

Yah!

Caroline

gwesq - I'm curious - were you booked on the Monday flight from JFK to PPT originally? I was told that was the flight that was being discontinued. We are booked on a Friday flight from JFK on June 29 for June 30 PG departure.

No - we were never booked on a direct NY to PPT flight. We Expected to be booked that way, but were told that it is better to do the NY - LAX & then the "forced overnight" and then LAX - PPT. But as I mentioned, Regent instead booked us on a flight into LAX in the AM & then leaving LAX that same afternoon.

I wonder why they book from Philly with the overnight though?

Pat, that's strange because my TA (you know who), told me I would still be routed through LA if I jumped on the PG again. For us it's the same drill as Richard--fly to LA (5 hours or so), spend the night in a hotel, visit the sister-in-law, board ATN the next day, spend the night in a hotel in Papeete (or 2 or 3 if we can afford the time), then board the ship. We usually fly straight back to Toronto through LA on the way back, not worth staying overnight since we get to LA first thing in the morning.

Lisa, let's hope it works out for next December and we can meet! For us the 7-day trip from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale is an easy 3-hour jump, quite a difference from Tahiti (and a lot cheaper!) As I said, it's just a nice de-stressing break, not a "trip of a lifetime" which each one of our PG trips has been (especially the first!)

Hi Wendy,

We are from Toronto too! What a coincidece! I sure hope December works out but now there is a chance that we will cancel because we may renovate our house and build an addition. I think we should do both but DH doesn't see it my way...quel surprise!

Lisa, we too may cancel, since our new condo is due to be ready about that time, and we have a house to sell at some point! But we hope we make it, since it makes a nice break, and gets us away from the Christmas rush. If we MUST sell the house over this period (and I hope we don't have to), then they could do the showings while we're gone.

Archived