Smoking on QM2 after UK ban

colwill

I've to Madrid for a few days - I'm astonished to find this nonsense about smoking still going on (and on and on:eek: )

An interesting thing I saw in Madrid was how the Spanish are working their smoking law - Small bars (there is a size set down but I can't remember what it is) can be either smoking or non-smoking - There is no possibility of a non-smoking area. Most of these small bars still choose to be smoking but there are some places that are non-smoking; Larger establishments are non-smoking but can provide an area for smokers if it is totally separate from and not used for access to the main establishment. This means that places like hotel lobbies are non-smoking, whilst at places like airports there is a facility for smokers.

That law seems to work very well. The smokers can go to bars, etc where they can smoke inside whilst the radical non-smokers can have the absolutely tobacco free air that they crave. Bar owners can choose to be non-smoking or not, depending on the market forces - the more "family" orientated establishments are going non smoking whilst the grown up bars are staying with their clients wishes.

I don't know how the Spanish law affects cruise ships registered in Spain (it doesn't seem to affect those not registered there but just calling), but then I don't know if there are cruise ships that are registered in Spain.

I've to Madrid for a few days - I'm astonished to find this nonsense about smoking still going on (and on and on:eek: )

An interesting thing I saw in Madrid was how the Spanish are working their smoking law - Small bars (there is a size set down but I can't remember what it is) can be either smoking or non-smoking - There is no possibility of a non-smoking area. Most of these small bars still choose to be smoking but there are some places that are non-smoking; Larger establishments are non-smoking but can provide an area for smokers if it is totally separate from and not used for access to the main establishment. This means that places like hotel lobbies are non-smoking, whilst at places like airports there is a facility for smokers.

That law seems to work very well. The smokers can go to bars, etc where they can smoke inside whilst the radical non-smokers can have the absolutely tobacco free air that they crave. Bar owners can choose to be non-smoking or not, depending on the market forces - the more "family" orientated establishments are going non smoking whilst the grown up bars are staying with their clients wishes.

I don't know how the Spanish law affects cruise ships registered in Spain (it doesn't seem to affect those not registered there but just calling), but then I don't know if there are cruise ships that are registered in Spain.

Oh is that where you were, thought it went Quiet ! :D

regards,

Gavin :cool:

While Mr Rosenberg lives and still books all the tops suites on QE2's world cruise, Cunard will fight to keep smoking on it's ships. I'm not saying I'm for or against the ban, but so far Cunard have altered their restaurant smoking policy for one passenger against a majority opinion, and the British government is not nearly as powerful as militant Cunard passengers! This one will rumble on for a while.

(I think if anything changes policy it will be another expensive Star Princess-style balcony fire, not health leislation)

We also have litter wardens in the UK. How this works is they just follow smokers and when they throw the butt onto the ground: £50 fine. They catch six folk an hour and you can see how much money that nets the council.

If only it was so easy for the rest of us to make money as it is for govenment.

Jon,

Can you send those litter wardens over stateside? I hate litterers. A bane on the environment. And I don't mean the tree-hugging one. I HATE to see plastic bags from Walmart with that stupid smiley face on it flapping in the breeze high in the trees. While litter doesn't(usually) affect my health (other than psychological) it makes me do a slow burn. How piggish can you be! Just very, very selfish, selfish people! At least smoking gives the smoker some satisfaction. Litter does nothing for the litterer. And it is a blight on the land for others. living in the country I have the occasional beer can (kids drinking in the sand lot in the woods near me) the occasional cardobar box, and a DVD of Shrek (Well, okay,that probably fell of someone's roof. I wish I could find them. It was still in good shape!) Thank God I don't live near a McDonals, or I would have those in my trees and yard. (My old house was ner the only on in my town)

So Malcolm,

I wondered why it was so quiet here. Look at the dates! There were days that nothing was posted to this thread!

Welcome back:rolleyes:

Karie,

Who still thinks the world (and people) would be better off without "The Devil Tobacco" It isn't good for you, and there is no legitimate NEED for it. If everyone quit, we would all be healthier, But alas, That won't happen.

Jon,

Can you send those litter wardens over stateside?

I ave noticed that most of the cities in the US are even worse than the UK for litter. Something both nations should be ashamed of.

I don't think litter wardens make a huge difference though, in Scotland they conveniently are a good source of income for councils. People has to have enough pride in their surroundings to not litter. Smoking materials and convenience food wrappers are the worst offendings.

So similar to speed cameras and people speeding. The cameras don't stop it because people are going to speed anyway for all their own reasons.

I hate litterers. A bane on the environment. How piggish can you be! Just very, very selfish, selfish people!

How dare you! You 'anti-litter zealot'! Litterers have rights too you know! Who are you to say that the casual despoiling of the environment does not give them satisfaction - along with the inconvenience and distress they cause others. Why can't litterer's rights be respected too? There is even some research which conclusively proves that the problem of litter has been grossly over exaggerated:

http://www.amibovered.com/rentascientist.html

Peter ;)

Litter does nothing for the litterer

But do they still have the right to drop litter? I think that the answer is yes - as long as they organise the clearing up of that litter and ensure that there is someone who is responsible for ensuring things are kept tidy. Maybe the answer is to slap a great big tax on fast food outlets, news agents, etc. (I was going to finish with a :D but then remembered that, in Ireland, they do put a tax on carrier bags from shops).

We are on the QM2 for the first time in May. Does anyone know if the ban on smoking in public enclosed places, being introduced by our lovely leader shortly, will be implemented by Cunard?

Colwill

While I hesitate to open the debate up again :D

I have actually got a link that is relevant to the original question

From the Times "Smoking ban extended to boats"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1415370.ece

And the answer is .... perhaps:confused:

"Douglas Alexander, the Transport Secretary, said that he plans to extend the ban on smoking in public places to the nation’s waterways."

"“I now intend to introduce similar provisions to provide protection from secondhand smoke for people on vessels operating in UK waters, at sea and on inland waterways.”"

So it looks like the legislation's not there yet, but will be - but no indication as to whether it will be by July 1st or not!

Also appears to cover 'my' bugbear (see my earlier post) - smoking on deck as it says

"Sailors and passengers will still be allowed to smoke in their cabins" implying only in cabins - can't see that one going down too well!

Well having quoted most of the article, I shall sneak out the back door and watch the fireworks - play nicely :)

... back again with another link or 2

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_headline=boats-in-cigs-axe-&method=full&objectid=18651680&siteid=66633-name_page.html

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=264097&NewsAreaID=2

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/20022007/323/british-smoking-bans-hit-ships.html

(not read #2, its taking a while to load & I have limited time to edit this post!)

back for a 3rd edit (and its still letting me do so!!!)

Link #2 actually has a link to the proposal document itself, which seems to say it is enclosed spaces only and its only for UK flagged ships.

"Q - Will the new regulations apply to vessels flying a flag from one of the non-UK members of the Red Ensign Group (Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Falkland Islands, Guernsey, Jersey, Montserrat, St Helena and the Turks and Caicos Islands)?

A - The non-UK members of the Red Ensign Group will not be obliged to put in place smoke free provisions on their vessels, or in their territorial waters. However, Jersey has already implemented similar smoke free restrictions on its vessels and we expect other members of the Red Ensign Group will follow in due course. Moreover, the Government will be seeking to encourage other members of the Group to follow the UK's lead and adopt similar smoke free measures. Red Ensign Group vessels will be required to comply with the new regulations when they are within UK territorial limits."

So that lets most of P+O ships off the hook then!

Karen

(if you really want non-smoking related 'fun', check out the british food thread on Princess http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=495277 )

Karen,

Thanks for the links. The detailed information on the 'consultation' can be found here:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/smokingonvessels/smoking

So, if anyone wishes to respond, there are instructions on how to do so. However, for those having hopes that they might be listened to, the following is Tony Blair's response to the 1,800,000 people who signed a petition against road pricing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6381279.stm

Peter

re Princess thread - I've never had boiled potatoes for breakfast either!

• 3 weeks later...

Dare i mention that its National No Smoking Day ! ;)

Lots of Public places are introducing the ban early, several pubs in our area are already non-smoking. I was talking to the landlord in one who said his profits have risen and because the atmosphere is better he is getting more families in and cant understand what all the fuss is about.

I think most places will of banned it before July 1st ! :D

regards,

Gavin :cool:

• 1 month later...

Perhaps this will go into the "unpopular" category also!

As someone who has known at least 3 people who developed lung cancer from second hand smoke, I think it times we grow up as a race of human beings. What are we doing to ourselves and each other? It's one thing if an addiction only affects you, but when it affects others around you...then change is in order. Personally I would prefer a smoke-free world. Think of all the beautiful people who would still be here!

Archived