Smoking on QM2 after UK ban

colwill

The intention is that the smoke-free provisions of the Health Bill will apply to all cruise ships when they are arriving or departing from a UK port while within UK territorial waters. The smoke-free provisions would not apply therefore to UK-flagged cruise ships operating outside of UK territorial waters or while transiting UK waters.

A consultation paper on the Government's proposals will be issued later this summer and the smoke-free provisions are due to come into effect next year.

Source: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2006-07-20a.86413.h

Unfortunately the "next year" mentioned is now this year - it's just six months away! The most likely thing to happen is that no decision will be made until the act is already in force. Cruise lines will be so scared of legal action that they'll vastly over react and bring in draconian anti-smoking measures. Sooner or later they'll reach a compromise - I think that it's likely to be no smoking in public places until the ship sails and once she's docked.

So what is the story on the UK smoking ban? I will be in the Heathrow Marriott for one night prior to the spring crossing on QE2 and I booked a smoking room. I'm assuming I can still smoke in the room at the Marriott. True? False? Thanks........Claudia

Depends on the hotel. The ban applies to public places (bars, restaurants).

Full details of the bill are here:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmbills/069/06069.1-7.html#j505

Peter

So what is the story on the UK smoking ban? I will be in the Heathrow Marriott for one night prior to the spring crossing on QE2 and I booked a smoking room. I'm assuming I can still smoke in the room at the Marriott. True? False? Thanks........

Claudia

Panic not; in Scotland (where the ban has been in force for some time) smoking in hotel bedrooms is still permitted. The legislation in England is similar. However, some hotels in the UK have complete bans (as is their right) but these have nothing to do with the new law.

Prisons are exempt; if you get desperate, the brig may be likewise

Thanks for the info. Marriott Hotels are now completely non-smoking in North America and Canada. However, Marrriotts in Europe are exempt.

So after boarding QE2, we can only smoke on deck and in our stateroom until the ship is in international waters?

Claudia

Panic not; in Scotland (where the ban has been in force for some time) smoking in hotel bedrooms is still permitted. The legislation in England is similar. However, some hotels in the UK have complete bans (as is their right) but these have nothing to do with the new law.

Prisons are exempt; if you get desperate, the brig may be likewise

And of you get desperate enough to smoke in the public rooms, you may get a "Free upgrade" to the brig! <G>

I suspect the ship will try to find a way to make some public places smoking, and anyway, it seems it will only be when entering and leaving (and in) port.

Karie,

who quit years ago, but not before she had permanent lung damage from smoking

I suspect the ship will try to find a way to make some public places smoking, and anyway, it seems it will only be when entering and leaving (and in) port.

Cunard won't want to loose a lot of possible passengers so I think they'll do everything they can to permit smoking for as long as possible.

Cunard won't want to loose a lot of possible passengers so I think they'll do everything they can to permit smoking for as long as possible.

OR our inimitable government will order them to transform their ships into 24 hour a day drinking and gambling dens (non-smoking, naturally):rolleyes:

OR our inimitable government will order them to transform their ships into 24 hour a day drinking and gambling dens (non-smoking, naturally):rolleyes:

That wouldn't work:( They'd be in international waters and therefore not liable to tax!

Sorry im going to upset a few people here, but this smoking ban has been to long coming ,considering the effect we know it has on everyones health ! :(

Its all very well having smoking and non smoking areas but smoke wont abide by these rules and it drifts. :mad:

I spent a few hours in a Pub on Sunday evening celebrating my birthday,the next morning i felt awful, my throat was sore, my eyes were stinging, i could taste the smoke and my clothes stank. No one can say that smoking isnt repolsive and dosent damage your health (even most smokers will admit that)

So im afraid smokers have had it their own way for too long, and the days of smoking in public places ( even Ships ) is numbered.

And i know that im in the majority thinking on this ! :eek:

Regards,

Gavin :cool:

Sorry im going to upset a few people here, but this smoking ban has been to long coming ,considering the effect we know it has on everyones health ! :(

Its all very well having smoking and non smoking areas but smoke wont abide by these rules and it drifts. :mad:

I spent a few hours in a Pub on Sunday evening celebrating my birthday,the next morning i felt awful, my throat was sore, my eyes were stinging, i could taste the smoke and my clothes stank. No one can say that smoking isnt repolsive and dosent damage your health (even most smokers will admit that)

So im afraid smokers have had it their own way for too long, and the days of smoking in public places ( even Ships ) is numbered.

Regards,

im speachlesss;)

Sorry im going to upset a few people here

At least you're expecting it!:D

considering the effect we know it has on everyones health ! :(

I doubt that anyone would claim that smoking isn't harmful to the smoker themselves, however I have still to see a report proving the harm of so called "Passive Smoking".

That is why you have some establishments that permit smoking throughout and others that don't. If a cruise line wants to run a totally non-smoking ship it can do - but it must also be aware that it is turning away a vast number of passengers.

I spent a few hours in a Pub on Sunday evening celebrating my birthday

Belated happy birthday:)

the next morning i felt awful, my throat was sore, my eyes were stinging, i could taste the smoke and my clothes stank. No one can say that smoking isnt repolsive and dosent damage your health (even most smokers will admit that)

If you don't like it then don't go back to that pub - it's your choice (I must admit that I wouldn't like to go to somewhere that was that smoky:) ). You have the choice to go somewhere that smoking is permitted or not - please allow smokers the same freedom.

So im afraid smokers have had it their own way for too long

I'm worried about a country that will adopt an attitude that allows a vociferous minority to dictate to the majority.

And i know that im in the majority thinking on this !

Do you? I'm not so sure - I think the majority would be very happy if they were allowed the freedom to choose without a small minority telling them what they must do.

(Are we going to have another angry smoking debate? Why can't we all get on together regardless of if we smoke or not?)

At least you're expecting it!:D

I doubt that anyone would claim that smoking isn't harmful to the smoker themselves, however I have still to see a report proving the harm of so called "Passive Smoking".

That is why you have some establishments that permit smoking throughout and others that don't. If a cruise line wants to run a totally non-smoking ship it can do - but it must also be aware that it is turning away a vast number of passengers.

Belated happy birthday:)

If you don't like it then don't go back to that pub - it's your choice (I must admit that I wouldn't like to go to somewhere that was that smoky:) ). You have the choice to go somewhere that smoking is permitted or not - please allow smokers the same freedom.

I'm worried about a country that will adopt an attitude that allows a vociferous minority to dictate to the majority.

Do you? I'm not so sure - I think the majority would be very happy if they were allowed the freedom to choose without a small minority telling them what they must do.

(Are we going to have another angry smoking debate? Why can't we all get on together regardless of if we smoke or not?)

Im just expressing my opinion (which im entitled to) but smokers will soon feel the same as non smokers feel at the moment (lacking in choice of pubs to visit) :eek:

This will be my last comment on the subject (honest)

Thanks for the belated Happy Birthday

Regards,

OK all. I'm a non smoker now, having been a smoker for nearly 30 years on and off. My partner is a smoker. I don't mind smoke. There's a lot of choice for non smokers. I don't think it's right that those who don't smoke should dictate to those who do.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure when the English law change takes effect. In Liverpool, it's 1 July 2007. Rest of the UK certainly isn't earlier, so prior to that, no problem ?

But I have the answer. It's a brilliant solution and highly topical in the UK (which has now run out of prison space so murderers and paedophiles will be running amok even as we speak!). Turn QE2 (and QM if you insist) into a prison ship. All those who are guilty of smoking on board shall be incarcerated thereon for an indeterminate period. They shall be destined to sail international waters for an indeterminate time, stopping only to refuel and restock on liquor and victuals.

*Slides of quietly to find a quiet corner to maybe light up and start smoking in the hope of becoming one of the early prisoners*

Regards,

Gavin, I'm not sure that you are in the majority.

I'm a non-smoker, dislike the smell, and four years ago lost my father to lung cancer.

But I'm coming round to the view that too much banning is a bad thing. Part of that comes from the fact that the bill was promoted by Blair, and I confess to having regarded this legislation in the light of "my enemy's enemy is my friend".

No one can sensible argue that smoking is anything other than a bad thing. But then lots of things are bad for you, and quite frankly I'm of the view that life isn't longer if you avoid all the bad things - it just feels as if it is as a result of the boredom.

Smoking at bars is a bad thing, and should go. Workers should have their health considered, and valued. I turst no-one would realistically argue with that. But there is always a middle ground.

I would think those who take the view that I do, added to the smokers, would probably come to a majority.

Incidentally, my father viewed smoking as a filthy habit!

Matthew

Oh Anteeta...I had sworn off even coming close to this thread...too many times we have beaten this subject to death!!! But your brilliant solution has brought me out of self imposed exile (on this topic anyway...:rolleyes: ) Where on earth do I sign up...may I have a glass bottom balcony please? And I don't want to appear too pushy so Britannia is just fine with me.

And thank you for your measured response to this subject...obviously I'm a smoker.

Cheers, Penny...packing as we speak:D

Typical!

I posted a long and tolerant post about freedom of choice, and properly anti Blair too.

And the system has eaten it.

In short, I don't think Gavboy is in the majority, although I equally feel that Malcolm is being a little blinkered on passive smoking.

But there is too much banning and political correctness in the UK at present, which does nothing for civilised tolerance.

Matthew.

If a cruise line wants to run a totally non-smoking ship it can do - but it must also be aware that it is turning away a vast number of passengers.

'm worried about a country that will adopt an attitude that allows a vociferous minority to dictate to the majority.

Okay,

Here's your report.

I have lung disease. (Almost died of respiratory failure, which is what started me cruising. Life could be short, you know, so I decided to start living it!)

I have been known to have trouble breathing when around people who have just come in from having a smoke outside. (Today was one of those days, and I am miserable.) I did not say a word to these people. Some of them I care very much about and wish they would quit for their own health. However, I am one who can end up very VERY sick from ambient smoke. I live with it. I have no choice. And I cringe at the things I did as a smoker that I thought were being considerate. Blowing it the other way does not really do it for a person with serious health problems, and the pride I had in learning how to flick a still-burning butt out the window of a moving car now appalls me when I think of the vehicle fires I have seen that most obviously started with a flicked butt (What was I THINKING!) I'm talking about the guy with a pick-up full of furniture who suddenly discovers the stuff on fire. If it wasn't in the middle of a lightening storm, then guess what the most obvious cause might be!

How many people never went certain places because they could not breathe there. I am now used to going to bars, I could not step foot in one for years, but when they banned smoking in bars, I could feel free to walk in one. I suddenly remember what a difference it has made when I visit another state and forget that rule is not universal. I am quickly driven out, and have to cut short my night of fun and music. I once considered being a singer in that sort of an atmosphere., I knew I could not survive night after night in that. So I did not go forward with that desire, only singing at functions where smoking was contained.

I think you will now find that smokers, at least are in the minority (Thank goodness for their health sake. I would love to see the day when people did not suffer from this worthless horrible addiction. I have been told it was easier for heroin addicts to quit that than quit smoking. My ex was an alcoholic. It was much easier for him to give up the booze. )

Just my thoughts. A smoker can go smoke elsewhere. or choose to hold off for few hours if they REALLY want to be in a particular place. A non-smoker (or someone bothered by it) cannot choose to hold off breathing for a few hours. They must give up on activities and locations they might love, but cannot cope with the smoke.

If the smoking means more to you than the company or the venue or the activity, then you have made your choice. The sensitive individual has their choice made for them,. That is no freedom of choice at all.

But for now, if your need for a cigarette is stronger than my need to breathe, well, then, I guess we know where I stand in the food chain!

BTW, I have friends who smoke. They understand my needs, and I try to be cognizant of theirs. It is possible, you know! And I just ache for them, silently and hope they will some day find the strength to quite. I quit when they were just getting to be 11 bucks a carton. Now I spend my money on nice cruises instead!

If a cruise line wants to run a totally non-smoking ship it can do - but it must also be aware that it is turning away a vast number of passengers.

'm worried about a country that will adopt an attitude that allows a vociferous minority to dictate to the majority.

Okay,

Here's your report.

I have lung disease. (Almost died of respiratory failure, which is what started me cruising. Life could be short, you know, so I decided to start living it!)

I have been known to have trouble breathing when around people who have just come in from having a smoke outside. (Today was one of those days, and I am miserable.) I did not say a word to these people. Some of them I care very much about and wish they would quit for their own health. However, I am one who can end up very VERY sick from ambient smoke. I live with it. I have no choice. And I cringe at the things I did as a smoker that I thought were being considerate. Blowing it the other way does not really do it for a person with serious health problems, and the pride I had in learning how to flick a still-burning butt out the window of a moving car now appalls me when I think of the vehicle fires I have seen that most obviously started with a flicked butt (What was I THINKING!) I'm talking about the guy with a pick-up full of furniture who suddenly discovers the stuff on fire. If it wasn't in the middle of a lightening storm, then guess what the most obvious cause might be!

How many people never went certain places because they could not breathe there. I am now used to going to bars, I could not step foot in one for years, but when they banned smoking in bars, I could feel free to walk in one. I suddenly remember what a difference it has made when I visit another state and forget that rule is not universal. I am quickly driven out, and have to cut short my night of fun and music. I once considered being a singer in that sort of an atmosphere., I knew I could not survive night after night in that. So I did not go forward with that desire, only singing at functions where smoking was contained.

I think you will now find that smokers, at least are in the minority (Thank goodness for their health sake. I would love to see the day when people did not suffer from this worthless horrible addiction. I have been told it was easier for heroin addicts to quit that than quit smoking. My ex was an alcoholic. It was much easier for him to give up the booze. )

Just my thoughts. A smoker can go smoke elsewhere. or choose to hold off for few hours if they REALLY want to be in a particular place. A non-smoker (or someone bothered by it) cannot choose to hold off breathing for a few hours. They must give up on activities and locations they might love, but cannot cope with the smoke.

If the smoking means more to you than the company or the venue or the activity, then you have made your choice. The sensitive individual has their choice made for them,. That is no freedom of choice at all.

But for now, if your need for a cigarette is stronger than my need to breathe, well, then, I guess we know where I stand in the food chain!

BTW, I have friends who smoke. They understand my needs, and I try to be cognizant of theirs. It is possible, you know! And I just ache for them, silently and hope they will some day find the strength to quite. I quit when they were just getting to be 11 bucks a carton. Now I spend my money on nice cruises instead!

Archived