Passports: how long did it take for yours?

familyreunion

First we went to Walgreen's to have our passport pictures taken. They gave us the paperwork to be presented. Then went to the local clerk of court office, gave them our birth certificates and the completed paperwork and 4 weeks later had our passports....Good luck.

Got mine in 5 days here in Newfoundland Canada, Brought all documents necessary to passport office here is St John's and received my passport in 5 days. Could be differnet in US with homeland security but it was fast here, maybe not so fast now as of this week all Canadians flying to US must have passport so ther could be some backup now.:)

I told my DH to go for weeks and he didn't and time was winding down so I finally jumped in the car and took him myself. We told them we were leaving in about a month and they said that it would take 6-8 weeks or we could pay an extra $30 and have it rushed for 2-3weeks so we paid the extra amount and it was here in 10 days!

Got mine in 5 days here in Newfoundland Canada, Brought all documents necessary to passport office here is St John's and received my passport in 5 days. Could be differnet in US with homeland security but it was fast here, maybe not so fast now as of this week all Canadians flying to US must have passport so ther could be some backup now.:)

We purchased ours back in October (one week BEFORE the change). DH was a bit peeved but told him now I don't have to haul around all that crap just to get our butts on board (birth certificates, marriage licence, etc). :D DH received his within 2 weeks, mine took another week (they were sent from different stations, how weird). :confused: The thing I have gained by having mine is peace of mind, didn't think about it that much but just knowing I have it seems to be a big relief. Of course this cruise we are going to other countries besides Mexico so DH and I both agree it is better to be safe than sorry...... Happy Cruising :p

We purchased ours back in October (one week BEFORE the change). DH was a bit peeved but told him now I don't have to haul around all that crap just to get our butts on board (birth certificates, marriage licence, etc). :D DH received his within 2 weeks, mine took another week (they were sent from different stations, how weird). :confused: The thing I have gained by having mine is peace of mind, didn't think about it that much but just knowing I have it seems to be a big relief. Of course this cruise we are going to other countries besides Mexico so DH and I both agree it is better to be safe than sorry...... Happy Cruising :p

A good majority of the cruisers in my group applied in Mid October and received theirs in 6 weeks and a couple days. At the time the passport office was warning us it would take 8 weeks.

One person in our group got denied because they didn't supply enough evidence of marriage name change; even thought the local office accepted it. So they had to get a new drivers license with the married name; sent a copy in and the passport was to them in 1 week.

Even with the increase demand I think the offices are keeping up.

We were told by our court house that it depends on what time of year you choose to get the passport. If you wait until maybe April or May for a cruise in the summer that is a particularly busy time. We did ours in the month of Oct. so that we would have it by the following spring. Just give yourself plenty of time as now the passports office are very busy with the new rules.

Marilyn

Another one here for six weeks. But as everyone says it all depends on the time and office handling everything.

Just wish I could have gotten a 10 year passport for my 15 (now 16 y/o) DS.

Although the next passport he'll be 20 and can pay for it himself!:D

Denise

We applied right after Christmas, it's been a little over five weeks and I haven't received it yet.

We have about four weeks till we cruise and it's GOTTA be here by then...

right? :rolleyes:

My boyfriend and I got our passports in the fall of 2005. We applied exactly two months before the cruise (because that was when we booked). His came in 4-5 weeks, if I remember right. Mine took a week or so longer, but mostly because I had some issues with a non-legal name change and I had to send in a bunch of documentation. Despite my messy situation, I still had it definitely within 6 weeks!

You should have no problem getting it within 8 weeks. And if you're a week out from your trip, and you still don't have it, you can make an appointment with your local passport office to have it rushed (even if it's already in process).

You can go here to check the status of your application: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

Or, you can also call the National Passport Information Center (which I found to be very helpful) at 1-877-487-2778.

Archived