Ships in Alaska for 2008

OSUBuckly

I realize that nobody is sure when HAL will release the 2008 trips to Alaska. However, has anybody heard of what ships will sail there during that season? Thanks in advance!

Should be available late April or early May. Will be interesting to see if there is additional residual impact due to the Ballot Measure passed by Alaska voters last year. If the cruise lines will be required to pay percentanges of gaming and shore excursion revenue that could have an impact on fares. JMHO.

I managed to find a copy of HAL's 2008 Cruise Planner Brochure on the weekend. Keeping in mind that this could change (the brochure was published in December), here are the ships sailing Alaska:

Roundtrip Vancouver: Ryndam, Statendam (with Veendam & Zaandam doing one-off sailings in September)

Vancouver - Anchorage & Reverse: Volendam, Zaandam, Veendam

Roundtrip Seattle: Amsterdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam

I have to say I am a bit disappointed that HAL will not have a Vista-class ship here in Vancouver in 2008 (I keep hoping the Oosterdam will come up here!). The Zuiderdam, which is doing RT Vancouver sailings this year, will be in Europe in 2008.

Atomica,

I was forwarded a email copy of a FAX that was received by a person who works for HAL. The FAX listed all the 2008 sailings for the HAL fleet. You have correct information as to what ships will be doing the 2008 Alaska cruises. There was no pricing noted.

As always, there could be some late changes but I would think the sailings are set at this time.

Terry

Terry: Does your "inside info" fax include any info on specific dates and itineraries? I'm asking because I'd love to vist Sitka, and am wondering what HAL itineraries will include that stop in 2008. Thanks for any info you can provide - which may be none, of course!

Atomica,

I was forwarded a email copy of a FAX that was received by a person who works for HAL. The FAX listed all the 2008 sailings for the HAL fleet. You have correct information as to what ships will be doing the 2008 Alaska cruises. There was no pricing noted.

As always, there could be some late changes but I would think the sailings are set at this time.

Terry

Thanks for the info!

The FAX that was forwarded to me was a very bad one to say the least. The following information is what I was able to glean from it. There may be mistakes so please understand that short of a published brochure from HAL or it's website there may be changes.

Oosterdam: Alaska Explorer 7 Day Cruise (May-June-July-August-September)

Ryndam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage (May-June-July-August-September)

Statendam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage (May-June-July-August-September)

Veendam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage (May 2 & 9 September 19)

Alaska Glacier Discovery Cruises (May 16 thru September 12)

Volendam: Alaska Glacier Discovery (May-June-July-August-September)

Westerdam: Alaska Explorer 7 Day Cruise (May-June-July-August-September)

Zaandam: Alaska Glacier Discovery (May-June-July-August-September)

I am not sure which of the trips will take you to Sitka. The best I might suggest is that you compare the 2007 cruises to the 2008 schedule and go from there.

The FAX that was forwarded to me was a very bad one to say the least. The following information is what I was able to glean from it. There may be mistakes so please understand that short of a published brochure from HAL or it's website there may be changes.

Oosterdam: Alaska Explorer 7 Day Cruise (May-June-July-August-September)

Ryndam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage (May-June-July-August-September)

Statendam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage (May-June-July-August-September)

Veendam: Alaska Glacier Bay Inside Passage (May 2 & 9 September 19)

Alaska Glacier Discovery Cruises (May 16 thru September 12)

Volendam: Alaska Glacier Discovery (May-June-July-August-September)

Westerdam: Alaska Explorer 7 Day Cruise (May-June-July-August-September)

Zaandam: Alaska Glacier Discovery (May-June-July-August-September)

I am not sure which of the trips will take you to Sitka. The best I might suggest is that you compare the 2007 cruises to the 2008 schedule and go from there.

Needless to say I am grateful for the information, and I totally understand it is preliminary, sketchy, and tentative - but it's more than anyone else has at this point! Of course, summer 2008 is a long way away, and there will be plenty of time to plan and dream when the official word comes out. Anyway, thank you!

We are also waiting for the pricing to be posted. We live close to Vancouver, BC so we are thinking about a round trip to Alaska from there. My wife say's I can do Alaska ONCE and then it's back to warm waters and sunshine.

As mentioned the pricing should be available some time April/May.

Terry

We are also waiting for the pricing to be posted. We live close to Vancouver, BC so we are thinking about a round trip to Alaska from there. My wife say's I can do Alaska ONCE and then it's back to warm waters and sunshine.

As mentioned the pricing should be available some time April/May.

Terry

But...what if you get warm waters and sunshine in Alaska? I hadn't been...but I have a feeling Alaska is one of those places that I can't go to just once.

I'm also planning a trip to Alaska in '08 sometime with some friends of mine. We may book in June assuming the prices for all categories & cruises are available then.

Hi all...I have a related Alaska 08 question so thought I might ask here. I'm planning on taking my mom on a cruise in 2008 and she has decided she wants to go to Alaska and of course I want to go on HAL. :p Looking at the itineraries/ships posted on this thread for 08, and knowing that there are so many people on this board that have done all of these, which itinerary would you suggest as being the one to do and why? We do want a 7 day, but don't really care where we leave from as we live on the East Coast anyway and will have to fly to get wherever. I know I have awhile to plan, but since people were asking questions already I thought I would too. :D

Thanks in advance!!!!

Meg

We like the 7-day Inside Passage Roundtrip from Vancouver because it includes visits to both Tracy Arm & Glacier Bay, as well as Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. It's the ideal cruise, particularily if you've never been to Alaska before.

The ones that sail roundtrip from Seattle do not include the inside passage (they swing out to sea), but we are sort of biased, living in Vancouver.

Archived