HAL – "A Signature of excellence" ? ?

Gerd

Hello all

I just have received ones more an good example of its fancy and astonishingly HAL customer service.

Because I would like to do a so called "on-board gift" for my dear Spouse, again I must assume, that the HAL slogan "We invite you to experience unparalleled service, Signature Holland America Line", is in reality not at all the case !

At least not in the manner, as I understand it.:mad:

While on board on the MS Veendam on March 18 – we will celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary:) – and for this, I would like, among other, that HAL deliver a dozen long stem roses into our cabin.;)

So I up-loaded the provided HAL web-preprint, write all thinks request on, and finally, I did send it to the mentioned Fax number.

And because I did it every time, so this time also, in parallel, I E-Mailed them my request.

Here is the answer…….

Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 9:16 AM

Subject: On board Gifts

Please contact us for this at 1-800-541-1576

Regards

For me is this a very short and fully un-personal answer. And I don’t understand, that they never sign there letter. Here in Europe is this not at all a correct business behavior.

And, is this indeed conform to the "A Signature of excellence" statement ?

Or is it really necessary to do an long-distance-transatlantic-call from France to Seattle, instead simply do it by E-Mail ?

I don't think so!

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

94 days - 25'425 Nm

Future Cruise :

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March, 18 2007

event.png

Guest LoveMyBoxer

How was this reply sent? Was it by e-mail? If so, reply to them and tell them that you're in Europe and try to find out what the problem is. They may give you a number to call within Europe.

France

Gallic Croisieres

156 Rue De La Pompe

Paris, France 75116

Phone: 0033(0)1 45 53 20 50

Email: gallica@club-internet.fr

Just found this on HAL website:

Can you email them back requesting to conduct business via email, explaining that since you are in France it would be a very expensive telephone call? Or you can go online and order there. Here is a link to the site you need:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/shop/onboardLogin.do;jsessionid=LWO-Rn0PFG2Roat1aG2LsY3

Sorry about your bad experience.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Why don't you email them again and explain that you are in Europe? I have a few names of ship coordinators but not for your particular ship. If you email HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com

(those are _'s between HAL and Ship and Ship and Services) and request that the ship coordinator for your ship handle your request you may find a more helpful response.

Good Luck and enjoy the warm weather on your cruise.

Gerd, I completely agree with you that it is extremely impersonal and cold to send such an email message to a customer. In my opinion, HAL could have addressed you personally, explained why they want you to call, and sign with a real person's name or at least the name of the department sending the email. All it would take would be a few extra words, eg. "We would like to speak with you personally regarding your request. Please call..."

It doesn't seem to be too much to ask. Unfortunately, in today's busy world there never seems to be enough time to do everything "properly", and in many cases, using email simply adds to that sense of impersonal. I will be interested to see how you find the service if/when you do contact them by phone.

Bonnie

Gerd, I too am sorry that they did not respond by email. My guess is they did not realize you were in France so thaought it was better if you called so that they could get your order exactly as you would like it. We too are celebrating our 30 yr wedding Anniversary in March and will be doing the Renewal of Vows on the Oosterdam. When I called up to order this they were so very nice, spent a lot of time with me, explained in detail everything that the ROV offered and what would most likely happen. I was extremely impressed with how they handled it. My guess is that they wanted to give you the same personalized service they gave me and they did not realize the cost that an 800 to the US would cost. To be honest I did not realize that an international 800 call would cost as well. Like it was mentioned I would email HAL explain that you are out of the US and ask if they have a number that would not cost or possibly they could call you.

Congratulations on your 30 Year Anniversary, 1977 was a very good year:)

Hello all

many thanks for taking attention.

"LoveMyBoxer", your mentioned Gallic Croisiere is a French TA.

But I have learned in the past, that such kind of stuff one should only handle via the appropriate HAL Ship Service. And that is what I did via Fax (the pre-print) and in addition by E-Mailing them.

But the E-Mail answer was really weak....

And if they really checked all incoming faxes – and I also mentioned to which fax I did send the pre-prints, then they certainly should have seen, that I live in France.

But because one must mandatory mention the booking number, while crosschecking this, it certainly should clarify from where I am contacting them.

Gerd

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Hello all

many thanks for taking attention.

"LoveMyBoxer", your mentioned Gallic Croisiere is a French TA.

But I have learned in the past, that such kind of stuff one should only handle via the appropriate HAL Ship Service. And that is what I did via Fax (the pre-print) and in addition by E-Mailing them.

But the E-Mail answer was really weak....

Gerd

That was the French contact that was on the list in http://www.hollandamerica.com/contacts/intlList.do. I just thought they might be able to give you an international toll-free or advice about how to proceed. Congratulations on your anniversary. Don't let this incident spoil your celebration

Hello "LoveMyBoxer

international toll-free numbers do not exist – unfortunately….

And you are completely right, I do, and I will have ones more an excellent cruise on those gorgeous HAL vessels.

Gerd

Funny I should look at this post today, I just ordered gifts for my cabin via the web. I did it all on the web, printed my confirmation and immedialty found in my email box another confirmation. I dont know what happen with your post????? Sorry to hear of you inconvience.

hallo gerd, i have tryed also to book some onboard presents for in the cabin and tryed it online at there orderingsite but without succes. Everything goes oke till the moment you have to give your creditcard number .Than it says,sorry,temporally problems , and i had to finish the order.:( After that, i tryed to call theme but the number doesnot work from the netherlands.I gave it up and wait till i am on board to order reservation for pinnacle and presents.

burny

Dag and Hello

many thanks for all your help and comments.

Elsewhere then in the headquarter, HAL do not has at all a call-center. So all should pas by Seattle – either by E-Mail (with all the problems wildly discussed around this forum), or by phone !

And yes the Internet is build for everybody and is reachable from each corner of the world.

If not, it’s the operation system, Server – or Operator itself concerned to do better. => In this case, all is in HAL hands.

But my amazing E-Mail respons hase nothing to do with bureaucratic computer, but with miss-trained people and a strange behavior to do an adequate customer service…..

We pay with our hardly earned bugs, they should follow-up smoothly and helpful. Then they want to make more money with us, and that is just what I want to let them do.

That’s my point of view !

Please help, some posts talks about "I have done it by Internet" – I just re-checked this web-page -

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Gift_Order_Polar.pdf

- and concerning the so called "on board gift" I only see that they provide an downloadable PDF file which one has to fill-out, and then to fax to them. Meanwhile they provide you with two different fax numbers.

But it looks like, that the fax machines, and the office, where you should send your E-Mai

HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com is not in the same zone/building !?!

And because the mentioned pre-print don’t gives you the chance to send also an embarcation welcome present to another cabin, that’s the main reason why I send supplementary an E-Mail.

"burny" thanks or your remark, and because my wife is from Maastricht (and I’m from Aken), I understand your language very well….

Dag and have a nice day

G E R D

Gerd,on the site from H.A.L.,go to booked guests,go to order onboard gifts, click on register,and fill in the form.If it won't take province/state, just choose for New York.(that is what my travelagency said!).Now you can log in and order per person what you want,also for another passenger,if you have their reservationnumber. Hope you have more luck than i had.It will not take my credit payment at the end. succes!

Hopefully this makes sense to someone other than me:

1. Go to www.hollandamerica.com

2. Click on "For Booked Guests"

3. This will bring a drop-down menu. From this menu, click on "Order Onboard Gifts"

4. That will take you to a new screen. If you have already registered as a user on the Holland America web site, enter your username and password and click on "Submit". If not, click on "Register".

5. If you need to register your information, you may have to restart the process back at Step 1.

6. Once you have entered your new or existing username and password and hit submit, you will be directed to a new screen titled "My Gift Recipients".

7. If your name and booking number, etc. appear then do not follow the next step, skip directly to step #10

8. If your name and booking number, etc. do not appear: Under "Add Guests" enter the number of guests to whom you will be sending gifts (in your case, 1, your wife). Click on "Add"

9. "Under Find Your Gift Recipients" fill in the pertinent information

10. Click on the box next to your wife's name. Then click on "Choose Gifts"

11. Click on "Flowers"

12. Click on "Order" next to the boquet that you would like to purchase.

13. Choose the quantity that you would like to send, the date that you would like them delivered, and the delivery location.

14. Click on "Save to my Order"

15. Click on "Create Personal Message"

16. Click on "One Personal Message for All Gifts"

17. In From type "From Your Doting Husband" (just kidding, type whatever you want - I'm sure anything in French would sound romantic:))

18. Type in something very romantic for your wonderful bride of 30 years :) on the three provided message lines

19. Click "Save to My Order"

20. On the next screen, Click "Checkout"

21. On the next screen, click the little box at the bottom indicating your agreement with the terms and conditions.

22. Click "Continue"

23. Fill in all of the information and click "Continue"

24. On the next screen, check that everything looks OK and click "Continue"

Done!

I just ordered flowers for my husband while going through this, and it worked without a problem.

Good luck!

P.S. If at any point this doesn't work, I recommend heavy cursing and a fresh cup of coffee before trying again :)

Hello all,

many thanks for all of your proposals.

As I already mentioned, the best human online manipulation could not be more annoying, then one must use an incorrect setup of a company computer system.

"Bankerbabe" I just tried your proposal step-by-step – and of course I failed as "burny". By the way, many thanks for your great listing, and why HAL disguise this possibility so good ??

I don’t know by which line the server is not in agree, but as in possession of a brand-new 24” iMac with all features on, I was not at all able to complete my registration. Even while using 4 different Web-Browser (Safari, Fire Fox, Netscape and also Internet Explorer), the last bottom "CONTINUE" did not at all react. And the "CANCEL" and "CLEAR PAGE" bottom is also inactive.

And "burny2, yes I even tried "New York" !?! And no one can explain me, while entering "New York" and "France" together; the system is able to accept this.

Please HAL, State or Province is not applicable for at lot of countries around the world – please listen and learn !

It is really a shame why HAL – while reading this board – is not able to read between lines, and finally establish a correct computer behavior.

One final remark, I work in a very big physical research center (yes there where the web is born), and off course, PC usage is a must. So no one could tell me, I am a beginner and that’s the reason why……

And because I am a heart patient, I do not drink Coffee, but Tee. And I see that HAL is really busy to increase the marked value of my preferred Tee Brand !

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

94 days - 25'425 Nm

Future Cruise :

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March, 18 2007

event.png

Hello all,

One final remark, I work in a very big physical research center (yes there where the web is born), and off course, PC usage is a must. So no one could tell me, I am a beginner and that’s the reason why……

Gerd

So you must be good friends with Al Gore. How is he doing these days?:p

Hello Stevesan

good point – your attentive about my iMac.

Off course I know, that he is member of the board of directors from my very preferred computer supplier "APPLE" – it’s that what you mean ?

Here in Europe, I’m one of the very first Apple machine users, back in the early 80ties. And since this time, I never abandoned this marvelous computer innovator. :) Always free of virus, snakes etc. - and I never needed to change/add anything, because I you just have changed my memory Flash Card of my photo camera….

But I don’t know Al Gore closer, then to see him on television.

Best regards

G E R D

Hello Stevesan

good point – your attentive about my iMac.

Off course I know, that he is member of the board of directors from my very preferred computer supplier "APPLE" – it’s that what you mean ?

Here in Europe, I’m one of the very first Apple machine users, back in the early 80ties. And since this time, I never abandoned this marvelous computer innovator. :) Always free of virus, snakes etc. - and I never needed to change/add anything, because I you just have changed my memory Flash Card of my photo camera….

But I don’t know Al Gore closer, then to see him on television.

Best regards

G E R D

Hi Gerd. My comment was kind of an inside joke. While campaigning for president, Al Gore once claimed that he "invented" the internet.

He backed off that real quick!

Archived