Help with accessories please

colwill

Could any of you help a mere male please? My wife has just bought a long dress for our cruise, long, black, fitted, and completely covered in sequins (lowish neckline, no sleeves).

She says she needs a wrap to go with it, along with shoes and jewellery, but has no idea what colour would look best with it. She thinks she should dress down the accessories as the dress is fairly 'bling'.

I plan to surprise her by shopping for the bits and pieces, but have not a clue where to start (and don't worry; I will ensure that everything can be exchanged if I get it wrong):)

Any help gratefully received,

Cheers, Colwill

Good morning:) ...or I should say afternoon since you are

in England;)

What a nice thing to do! Is there a way you can post

a picture of the dress on here for us? It would give us

a better idea of what accessories would go with it.

If the dress is full of bling, then I agree...simpler

jewelery will probably be better.

I am sure you will get plenty of replies....good luck

on the search:)

You are very thoughtful to do this. Do you know your wife's taste well?

A pic would help but some basics to consider are:

How high a heel does she generally wear? Is she partial to sandals or pumps?

For a wrap, avoid anything sheer as the beads/sequins will wreak havoc on the fabric.

Depending on the neckline, I would limit my jewelry since the dress has so much bling. Probably simple diamond studs and a pretty bracelet, no more.

For a bag, (and not knowing your budget as you can find similar for much less) I would likely choose one with a splash of color:

http://www.allthingstrendy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=1192

Here are some thoughts on shoes, without knowing her taste or seeing here dress:

http://shoes.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&fd=true&fcloc=search&sp=All+Products%2f%2f%2f%2fShoe+Bargains%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c%2f%2f%2f%2fWomen's+Dress+Shoes%2f%2f%2f%2fAttribSelect%3dType%3d'Evening+%26+Special+Occasion'%2f%2f%2f%2f&dk=Women's%20Dress%20Shoes&deptid=1094&catid=1522&prodid=1015317377&t=srch.dept-1094.cat-1522.prod.21

http://shoes.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&fd=true&fcloc=search&sp=All+Products%2f%2f%2f%2fShoe+Bargains%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c%2f%2f%2f%2fWomen's+Dress+Shoes%2f%2f%2f%2fAttribSelect%3dType%3d'Evening+%26+Special+Occasion'%2f%2f%2f%2f&dk=Women's%20Dress%20Shoes&deptid=1094&catid=1522&prodid=1311329193&t=srch.dept-1094.cat-1522.prod.4

http://shoes.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&fd=true&fcloc=search&sp=All+Products%2f%2f%2f%2fShoe+Bargains%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c%2f%2f%2f%2fWomen's+Dress+Shoes%2f%2f%2f%2fAttribSelect%3dType%3d'Evening+%26+Special+Occasion'%2f%2f%2f%2f&dk=Women's%20Dress%20Shoes&deptid=1094&catid=1522&prodid=1015322220&t=srch.dept-1094.cat-1522.prod.15

http://shoes.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&fd=true&fcloc=search&sp=All+Products%2f%2f%2f%2fShoe+Bargains%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c%2f%2f%2f%2fWomen's+Dress+Shoes%2f%2f%2f%2fAttribSelect%3dType%3d'Evening+%26+Special+Occasion'%2f%2f%2f%2f&dk=Women's%20Dress%20Shoes&deptid=1094&catid=1522&prodid=1311328215&t=srch.dept-1094.cat-1522.prod.18

http://shoes.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&fd=true&fcloc=search&sp=All+Products%2f%2f%2f%2fShoe+Bargains%7c%7c%7c%7c%7c%2f%2f%2f%2fWomen's+Dress+Shoes%2f%2f%2f%2fAttribSelect%3dType%3d'Evening+%26+Special+Occasion'%2f%2f%2f%2f&dk=Women's%20Dress%20Shoes&deptid=1094&catid=1522&prodid=1311328215&t=srch.dept-1094.cat-1522.prod.18

First off, let me say that it is so sweet of you to do this for your DW.

Based on what you have mentioned about the dress... it seems like it has enough 'bling' so she just needs some basics to compliment the dress.

Here is an idea on shoes:

985-241603-d.jpg

Or these:

985-226184-d.jpg

For jewelry, I agree that you could do a diamond stud or some other smaller dangly sparkle earring.

Good luck!

You have got to be the sweetest man! Can you teach my husband all about it?

Sparkly studs would be nice, but maybe an earring with a small dangle would be alright? Probably not a necklace, you don't want to distract from the neckline of the dress. What about a dark silver colored wrap with matching shoes?

Let us know what you decide on!

Elaine

Thank you so much ladies (or should I call you women......or girls...?); even that's a bit complex.

Unfortunately, I can't post a photo as the dress (along with thousands of other outfits) is tucked away at my wife's mother's house (apparently, this will stop her being tempted to wear any of them before our trip - quite beyond me:)). So....... the dress is black and clingy (the underneath part), covered in black sequins - think Shirley Bassey, if she exists in America.

Anyway, thanks again; I am getting the picture for the accessories, and will head for the shops on Monday. Any other advice gratefully received.

Good morning to you:)

Glad we could help a bit. I am sure some of us over a certain

age know who Shirley Bassey is;)

If its possible, please come back and tell us any of the the

items you find. I would love to know all about your

purchases:D

Good morning to you:)

Glad we could help a bit. I am sure some of us over a certain

age know who Shirley Bassey is;)

If its possible, please come back and tell us any of the the

items you find. I would love to know all about your

purchases:D

I have to also say you are very sweet to think of accessorizing your wife's outfit. That is very romantic too.

If your wife has a prefrence between gold or silver this could be a problem. But I would probably select silver with the black. That seems to be more popular. Something simple in silver for a neclace would not take away from the neckline, I am thinking a short neclace not one that dangles down. Also, a nice pair of matching earrings would be nice. As for the wrap I agree keep it one that would not snag, on the dress bling.

Another thought on jewelry, I have a silver chain that has a few black pearls that are spaced apart on it and there are maybe about 5 and each has a small, I mean small diamond chip on top where they attach. I wear this often with my black gowns and it is perfect. Maybe you could find something similar with not to much bling on it and with the black pearl look.

Happy shopping.

Cindy

Something simple in silver for a neclace would not take away from the neckline, I am thinking a short neclace not one that dangles down. Also, a nice pair of matching earrings would be nice.

I agree that silver or gold is a personal preference. My coloring looks better with gold so I wear more of that but I do have some white gold pieces I enjoy as well.

Unless it is high necked with cut away shoulders or certain styles of halter tops which do not work well with necklaces, IMO. Most of my evening dresses are cut this way.

I am not one for matchy sets of earrings and necklace so I would look at your wife's collection currently and see how her taste runs before I make a selection. Some women prefer to match and some do not.

I agree that silver or gold is a personal preference. My coloring looks better with gold so I wear more of that but I do have some white gold pieces I enjoy as well.

Unless it is high necked with cut away shoulders or certain styles of halter tops which do not work well with necklaces, IMO. Most of my evening dresses are cut this way.

I am not one for matchy sets of earrings and necklace so I would look at your wife's collection currently and see how her taste runs before I make a selection. Some women prefer to match and some do not.

Guess I missed the halter part, Necklaces can be a problem there. As for matching earrings, I did not mean exact design but ones that compliment each other. I dont personally own any sets of earrings and neclaces. My husband has been in the jewlery business over 20yrs and I think I have seen almost every style available. His store is not a mall store but they are a fine design store, things like John Hardy, David Yurman, Tiffany, so I may be spoiled a bit. I do think my coloring is best for the gold tones as well, but of late I have been doing some of the mixed gold/silver things. I kind of like that together it gives me the gold tone to compliment my skin coloring and the silver that is well, hmm, silver.

Cindy

Guess I missed the halter part, Necklaces can be a problem there. As for matching earrings, I did not mean exact design but ones that compliment each other. I dont personally own any sets of earrings and neclaces. My husband has been in the jewlery business over 20yrs and I think I have seen almost every style available. His store is not a mall store but they are a fine design store, things like John Hardy, David Yurman, Tiffany, so I may be spoiled a bit. I do think my coloring is best for the gold tones as well, but of late I have been doing some of the mixed gold/silver things. I kind of like that together it gives me the gold tone to compliment my skin coloring and the silver that is well, hmm, silver.

Cindy

Cindy, I am a John Hardy devotee and love to mix and match from his collections. I especially like the silver and yellow gold dot collection for the reasons you mention. DH gifted me with the large leaf earrings for Christmas and the flower bracelet and pendant for my birthday last year. I love his men's line as well, especially the black lava sapphire; it is so distinctive!

I am saving for the large diamond pave cuff next:).

Those are some awesome pieces. Will look really great too! With my hubby, he sees these things so much that he is not much for purchasing me pieces. I have to rely on some of the women that work with him to help me out, by showing him what I like. I go in and pick out the ones I prefer and then they give him the hint, hint.

He doesn't really like the big pieces, and always leans to the more delicate looking things for me. I am slowly working into some of those like you have mentioned. He does prefer the John Hardy over Yurman styles though.

Cindy

It's just my preference, but I wouldn't wear a necklace with a sequined gown. To me, it's overkill.

I"m wearing a red gown that's completely covered in beads....very sparkly. I'm wearing understated rhinestone earrings and maybe....maybe....a small red evening bag. Oh...and red satin strappy heels. :D

I think a very sparkly dress stands on its own. If you start to accessorize too much, you'll end up looking like a Vegas showgirl. Keep it simple. :)

I have to agree with Cruzfan34, keep the accessories simple with a beaded gown.

A pair of earrings and a bracelet, that's all. Not seeing the dress it is hard to say what color metal to wear. but my instinct would be simple diamond studs and a diamond tennis bracelet. Plain metal may be too casual for the dress.

I'm not particularly fond of silver shoes with a dark dress, so keep those black and simple. Bling on everything makes me think people are trying to look like an over-decorated wedding cake.

As far as a wrap goes, I'm afraid that that would have to be tried on with the dress to make any kind of a choice. I've never needed a wrap, I'm always too hot in the dining room. I'd be tempted to say, a plain black wrap in a satin, unless she is daring and wants to add color, then anything goes!

Were you surprising her on the trip with the accessories, or right before you go?

Being 33, I think it would be super romantic to save a really special piece and give it to her in some special way after she is dressed and ready to go. If you have a balcony, or go to the front of the boat, watch the sunset.... tell her how much you love her and are happy you are there together, or something entirely sappy and romantic and then give her the gift. Sure, you got it to go with the dress, but if it is something special, then give it to her in a special way. Did I make any sense?

You can tell my husband isn't too much on the romantic side...

Could any of you help a mere male please? My wife has just bought a long dress for our cruise, long, black, fitted, and completely covered in sequins (lowish neckline, no sleeves).

She says she needs a wrap to go with it, along with shoes and jewellery, but has no idea what colour would look best with it. She thinks she should dress down the accessories as the dress is fairly 'bling'.

I plan to surprise her by shopping for the bits and pieces, but have not a clue where to start (and don't worry; I will ensure that everything can be exchanged if I get it wrong):)

Any help gratefully received,

Cheers, Colwill

Colwill,

I agree with many of the suggestions already given.

Silver or gold both would work well so go with works best with her coloring.

For earrings, I would stick w/ what she usually likes to wear on dressier occasions in terms of long or simple posts. Personally, I'd never wear a simple post, something that dangles looks best with my hair and face shape. But some women love a small earring with a more tailored look. Stick with the shape/size your wife likes best and then go for something more dazzling within that zone.

If you're not going to buy a necklace, then a dramatic cuff bracelet would probably be very elegant. Perhaps something with black onyx?

Once you've sorted out the jewelry colors, then look for a handbag. The one that Caviargal gave a link to would be beautiful if you went with silver or white gold jewelry. You could also go with a very dressy black satin with a crystal closure/buckle.

For a shawl, consider a black pashmina or black cashmere. As someone else pointed out, if you buy a silk one, the sequins might snag and ruin it.

Shoes are tough to buy someone else. But if you're considering this, look in her closet and see if there is any particular brand she likes best for high heels and look for something from that company. Stuart Weitzman is sold in England and is a terrific brand of dressy shoes that are reasonably priced. They're popular because they are both elegant and comfortable.

I agree with Happy K's that black are probably best. Stick with satin - something with stones such as crystals on the heels would be very elegant. I'd skip shoes with any stone ornamentation on the top because it might keep getting caught in the sequins on the hem of the dress.

Something that no one mentioned, but I think is important: Buy her a BRIGHT RED RED RED lipstick! Buy something chic - like Chanel or Yves St. Laurent. The sales lady can tell you if you should go with a yellow red or a blue red depending on her coloring. IMHO, buying this for your wife is very personal and will give her a thrill.

Go to Harvey Nichols and ask for a personal shopper for some help. You can buy everything there. I LOVE that store!

Morning girls; I'm Mrs Colwill, and my DH arrived home last night looking very pleased with himself, and bearing many gifts. He's just shown me all your replies, and I am so grateful to you for the help you gave him; it was a wonderful surprise.

Thanks to you, everything is perfect. Here's an update:

Fabulous black satin Gina shoes with a tiny amount of beading (and they fit:)), beautifully under-stated black pearl and diamond necklace with complementary drop earrings and a black cashmere wrap. These lucky items will all be going on the QM2 in three months time. I already have the perfect bag/bracelet. Wish I was IT literate enough to post photos for you.

Thanks again to all of you; do hope he has dispelled any ideas you may have had that all English men are either lager louts or stiff upper-lipped. To those of you wishing your husbands were a little more demonstrative, 28 years of intensive training appears to have finally paid off:).

Mrs Colwill (Anne) (who is still trying to get her head round the rather worrying Shirley Bassey analogy)

Morning girls; I'm Mrs Colwill, and my DH arrived home last night looking very pleased with himself, and bearing many gifts. He's just shown me all your replies, and I am so grateful to you for the help you gave him; it was a wonderful surprise.

Thanks to you, everything is perfect. Here's an update:

Fabulous black satin Gina shoes with a tiny amount of beading (and they fit:)), beautifully under-stated black pearl and diamond necklace with complementary drop earrings and a black cashmere wrap. These lucky items will all be going on the QM2 in three months time. I already have the perfect bag/bracelet. Wish I was IT literate enough to post photos for you.

Thanks again to all of you; do hope he has dispelled any ideas you may have had that all English men are either lager louts or stiff upper-lipped. To those of you wishing your husbands were a little more demonstrative, 28 years of intensive training appears to have finally paid off:).

Mrs Colwill (Anne) (who is still trying to get her head round the rather worrying Shirley Bassey analogy)

Anne, hi:) ....I am so glad to hear everything looks lovely

together! And the jewelery sounds BEAUTIFUL! Hmmm...

as you said, too bad you can't post any pictures for us!

Maybe your hubby could help?

I bet many of us would love to see everything!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Archived