Help for Volcanoes Nat'l Park Nature Deluxe

whenzuc

For those of you that took Volcanoes Nat'l Park Nature Deluxe tour, or heard feedback from others on the ship......

Given the length and price of this trip, if you had the choice again, do you regret having taken this tour vs doing it on your own and renting a car? Obviously, there is no time to rent a car when taking this tour.

Was the tour that good, given the price and time commitment, compared to the basic Volcanoes National Park tour for considerably less $. I don't mind spending the money for the two of us, if the tour is that good.

I'm afraid if I do rent a car that I won't get as much out of the experience.

I am travellnig with a 17 yr old. Feedback please.

Some say they get a lot of interesting info from the tour guide.

The cost might not be so bad for just 2 people, relaxing not having to drive or deal with checking in/out the car.

However driving works really well to the volcano, you can see the film and museum just like the tours do. You can stop at scenic points around the crater and stroll at your own pace, without having to wait for the herd. Plus there's other things to see once you have the car. Depends how you feel about driving on your vacation, but I think I'd rather drive it myself. If you're energetic and prepare a little, you could also do a short volcano hike, get maps and advice from the visitor center. Hat/water/shades/sunscreen/long pants/tough shoes.

I used to live in Hawaii and when you do the islands hop you get a car with your hotel room, so Iv only driven, but did not think I would have gotten more out of it with a tour guide? Not sure why you think you would so it's hard to comment.

With a car you can see more of the island, though things are so spread out you cant cover the whole island. I liked the part that reminds me of Kentucky, but its the wrong direction to see on the way to the volcanoes. Hilo it rained every time I was there, so Hilo is pretty but whew!!! Give me Kona any time. There is a reason Kona side costs so much more, lol.

I was with a local though, I lived on Oahu for about 10 years. We briefly considered moving to the Big Island, but its too boring to me. Maui was the most fun. Kaui was the prettiest.

We took the VNP Nature Deluxe on our recent POH cruise, and loved it. For us, it was well worth the money, and we'd definitely take it again on a return trip.

The tour vehicles were small 8 (maybe 10?) passenger vans, so it's a small group and you can really get to know each other and your guide if you want. We never felt like we were rushed or stuck waiting for the rest of the group. Our guide was really nice, and very informative, and we saw and learned a lot more than I think we would have if we'd tried to go it alone. We also both got to look around, rather than one of us having to drive and possibly miss stuff. The other advantage is that with the ship tour, if we were delayed for some reason, the ship would wait for us...which it won't if you go on your own and get lost or something.

One highlight of the trip was lunch. While the lunch itself wasn't anything to write home about (standard sandwich in a box) our guide took us to a spot where we could hike out on the lava to the edge of the cliff and see the black sand beaches below and the spot where the lava enters the sea in the distance. We sat out on the lava to eat...the great spot more than made up for the unexciting lunch menu. :D

Like I said, we loved it, and thought it was well worth the money.

Hi Bookbabe, Thanks for posting. I am also taking the VNP Nature Deluxe with NCLA POH in May. Can you please tell me what type of shoes to wear. Are sneakers ok, will they get ruined by the lava. All input would be appreciated. Thanks. Lois

There's two kinds of lava rock, a'a and pahoehoe. The latter is smooth rippled rock that isn't a problem. You can easily spot the difference.

The jagged a'a lava rock is like walking on ground composed of many razor blades. It cuts into the sole and your shoe sticks a little bit.

You won't be walking on this rock much if at all on any guided tour so it's probably not an issue.

But I probably wouldn't go even a short distance in a shoe that didn't have a tough sole.

If you rented a car and hiked around on your own, try footwear with a tougher/thicker sole.

Hi Bookbabe, Thanks for posting. I am also taking the VNP Nature Deluxe with NCLA POH in May. Can you please tell me what type of shoes to wear. Are sneakers ok, will they get ruined by the lava. All input would be appreciated. Thanks. Lois

You should be fine with any closed-toe shoes that you can easily walk over rough ground in. Sneakers should be fine, although I wouldn't wear your nicest or newest...just in case.

I took an older pair of sneakers with me, worried about that same thing. I did end up throwing them out at the end of the cruise, but that was due to the excessive mud on the Mudbug excursion. :D They seemed fine after the VNP trip. Most of the areas we hiked through had the smoother type of lava, and we were well away from any hot spots. The ground can be uneven, though, so I'd definitely wear something fairly comfortable and steady.

• 2 years later...
CrusinMK, are you recommending long pants due to climate or terrain?

I honestly had not thought of packing any, but the more I read about the excursions, it sounds like I will definitely need some.

HannaBelle,

We leave 4/1, but on a different cruise line. Our tour info says to wear

LONG pants, comfy shoes, take a jacket & big repellent. Hope that helps.

Cindy

• 1 month later...

GrandmaR -

I think this would be a great tour option for you and your grandson. We just got back from POA and we really enjoyed this tour. You travel in a mini-bus (12-14 people) and they try to avoid the crowds and the big buses, which is really nice.

It's much more personal. It will also allow your grandson enough opportunity for walking and climbing, but you'll be able to limit how much you do (if you need to).

Archived