Manicure & Pedicure

magical1

I cannot help with current prices, but i might offer a perspective on trreatments i have enjoyed. My manicure experience onboard on a 2 week trip (thought i would do a polish change) was less than satisfactory. In the local salon, the basecoat, polish-2 coats and topcoat, result in a very durable, plush sort of polish product.. On board, the manicure, by british steiner employee, came out very thin. At that time, the product was not opi or jessica, but another one i had seen in upper end stores, but had not tried. So--any other manicure experiences out there? I generally book locally the day before we leave so i am embarking with good nails!

On the other hand, the massages, tried by all family members, have been pretty good. I especially like the hot stone massage, which is very soothing.

I have not been as pleased with the facials.

I think all of the salons we have tried have been steiner and most employees have been British. You will have STeiner on the Ryndam. On the Ryndam (5 yrs ago), i had best ever massage, but it does depend on the person.

I had my first-ever pedicure aboard westerdam. I thought it was WONDERFUL! I was happy with the polish job, and it lasted weeks. They also did a very nice calf massage and exfoliation, etc., etc. I WAS expensive ... I'm thinking about 75 dollars, but I may be wrong on that. I get the same thing at home now for 25. Also got a therapeutic massage onboard W, but frankly I've had better at home. I really needed that one onboard though, and it was certainly NICE and did the job I needed it to do but was expensive for what I got.

I haven't been that happy with the Steiner spas. My first cruise on the Ryndam I only had a repair on my acrylics but they charged me $25 for one nail and it only lasted 24 hours. Last summer I had a regular manicure, again on the Ryndam, and while it looked pretty good the young woman buffed my nails so much that they gave me a lot of trouble when I got home because they were so thin. I've never done a pedicure because I think they are vastly overpriced. I usually schedule one at home right before I leave and I'm fine.

One thing I would recommend is the frangipani scalp massage. That is heavenly. However watch because Steiner tends to price it without including shampoo and set afterward. That is okay if you don't mind washing tons of oil out of your hair before dinner and styling it yourself. Frankly it freaked me out this summer on RCCL especially because it was formal night and I thought I had scheduled the shampoo. They ended up having the teeth whitening gal wash and set my hair (I suspect she's more qualified to shampoo my hair than whiten your teeth) and she did a fine job. If you don't mind leaving the oil on you can sit outside in the sun and really let it soak in. I was trying to find the price but I can't put my hands on it right now. Usually port days have the best spa prices and they run specials every day.

Happy cruising!

St. Louis Sal

To establish some rapport with the salon employee, i always get the conversation going by asking where home is, how they got started with Steiner, which ships they have been on.....We usually find something in common. In fact, we try to do that with most of the staff--you don't want too much information,(like our RCI ship steward who, on the first night's service at table, moaned and said he had an abcessed tooth and then launched into detail of the pain and suffering!--not good at dinner table) but it is fun to find some ships or cities in common. Yes, there are quite a few nationalities represented.

It does help to be familiar with the service and ask about what the person will be doing before he/she starts. I am very fussy about sanitation of instruments and always have my own emery board at salon and do not allow cutting of cuticles or shaving of rough spots on feet.

I found my bills from this summer and I see I paid $29 for the scalp massage and $39 for the Style/Dry on the Ryndam. I think my price on Mariner of the Seas was the same. If they offer this on the Noordam this Spring I plan on having one a week!

In looking over my bills from our Alaska cruise I was amazed that two people who don't drink very much ended up having so many bar bills!! :D

St. Louis Sal

Hi, my wife and I will be travelling on the Ryndam to Sea of Cortez. My wife would like to know what the cost of a manicure and pedicure would be? Thanlks for yoyr anticipated assistance.

Your wife is much better off getting her manicure & pedicure at home....before you leave on your cruise.

Archived