Travel Knits/Laundry Question ~ Noordam

innlady1

I know laundry questions have been asked a zillion times, but I've read through them and can't find an answer to my question!

I travel with travel knits because they look great and take up minimal space. However, I always launder them on delicate and they never see the inside of a dryer. I hadn't even thought of this before today! :eek:

Will I be able to send them to the laundry and ask that they not put them in the dryer? If not, I wonder if the sink in the verandah staterooms) is large enough to hand launder? :confused:

Too late to buy a new wardrobe, I'm afraid! :rolleyes:

Thanks for any input!

Sheila

If you are referring to travel knits such as sold at Chico's.......I would not send them out. Just my personal opinion. There is a special request box on the laundry slip but I have never tried making such a 'special request'.

You can certainly launder individual pieces by hand but where would you lay them out to dry? If they are the knits I'm thinking of, they cannot be hung to dry of they will stretch way out of shape. The better quality knits of that sort have some weight to them and soaking wet, they are heavy. You have to lay them flat for drying if you do not use a dryer.

I played it safe last year and had them just dry clean my knits. Didn't have any issues with the condition of any clothes that came back, laundered or dry cleaned. If anything, I thought the dry cleaning came back better than the land based place I use and the regular laundry was cleaner :o than when I often do it myself at home!

Personally I wouldn't send them out either. I take lots of Chico's type items and wear them more than once in various combinations.

On our Zuiderdam cruise last month, I sent some things out for laundry/dry cleaning. Most things came back fine but one beige item came back very grey and a black knit (polo type) shirt is definitely NOT as black as it was.

Mine are Coldwater Creek, but probably similar to those at Chico. I'm going to check the label, and see if it mentions dry cleaning. I have enough, so I hope I can get buy without laundering them! I usually wash them after each wearing, but I could get by w/o doing that.

They are heavy when wet. Not necessarily wet out of the washer but hand laundering for sure! I guess if push comes to shove, I could roll them in a towel to absorb some of the moisture.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions!

Innlady

I wouldn't take the chance of sending them to the laundry because with all the loads they do, they may not remember not to put them in the dryer. I travel with a couple of pairs of Chico pants and tops and then wear different blouses or jackets with them. Since I only wear them at night, I figure they can be worn more than once. That is, if I don't wear my food.

I know some of coldwater creek clothes, but knits might be different material than the chico's travel wear. It would be hard, but not impossible to wash them out. You could always use the tub, but then where would they dry? I have visions of them on the floor on towels while we're rockin and rollin and you sidestepping them.:D Not worth it.

Double up and wear them more than once. No one will care and everyone does it.

I wouldn't take the chance of sending them to the laundry because with all the loads they do, they may not remember not to put them in the dryer. I travel with a couple of pairs of Chico pants and tops and then wear different blouses or jackets with them. Since I only wear them at night, I figure they can be worn more than once. That is, if I don't wear my food.

I know some of coldwater creek clothes, but knits might be different material than the chico's travel wear. It would be hard, but not impossible to wash them out. You could always use the tub, but then where would they dry? I have visions of them on the floor on towels while we're rockin and rollin and you sidestepping them.:D Not worth it.

Double up and wear them more than once. No one will care and everyone does it.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'll do....as long as I don't wear my food either! Since these are for dinner, you're right, I can wear them more than once. I have a lot of mix and match outfits, and I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and wear a bib! LOL! DH has, on occasion, put some of these in a more-than-warm dryer, and it's not been a pretty sight. So I can't chance the laundry would do it!

Inn lady,

I'm LOL too. last night I dripped a bit of fat from the chicken I roasted onto my shirt. You will recognize me in the dining room. I'm the one with an extra napkin tucked into my clothing. Lately I do wear what I eat.

By coincidence, I got an email from cold water this am about Valentines clothing and I looked at their clothing care site. It says not to dry clean too often, so I would just wear them more than once.

I have about an inch left in my suitcase. Still have to pack the shoebag and sneakers. And I have until 3pm today to zip it up.

My daughter asked for the web cam for the ship and then emailed me back that there's nothing there. Funny!

Does the self serve laundry have an air setting on their dryers? I can't remember.

anyway, I wondered if you could hand wash, wrap in towels, put through an air only dryer cycle, then hang on a plastic hanger (bring from home) and hang on line over tub. I pin the skirts or pants to the hanger with some clothes pins.

We always wear the evening wear more than once as you only have them on for 2 or 3 hours and are not doing anything but sitting. Oh, well, there is the dancing for those that do.

Does the self serve laundry have an air setting on their dryers? I can't remember.

anyway, I wondered if you could hand wash, wrap in towels, put through an air only dryer cycle, then hang on a plastic hanger (bring from home) and hang on line over tub. I pin the skirts or pants to the hanger with some clothes pins.

We always wear the evening wear more than once as you only have them on for 2 or 3 hours and are not doing anything but sitting. Oh, well, there is the dancing for those that do.

There's not a self-service laundry on the Noordam, Juanita. That's the problem! I hope they re-think that on their next group of ships!

Inn lady,

I'm LOL too. last night I dripped a bit of fat from the chicken I roasted onto my shirt. You will recognize me in the dining room. I'm the one with an extra napkin tucked into my clothing. Lately I do wear what I eat.

By coincidence, I got an email from cold water this am about Valentines clothing and I looked at their clothing care site. It says not to dry clean too often, so I would just wear them more than once.

I have about an inch left in my suitcase. Still have to pack the shoebag and sneakers. And I have until 3pm today to zip it up.

My daughter asked for the web cam for the ship and then emailed me back that there's nothing there. Funny!

Mine don't even mention dry cleaning (the travel knits).

Why the 3 PM deadline?

Guess the cruise is off if your daughter didn't see it in port! LOL!

Innlady

My Mom always takes the Febreze for clothing with her when she cruises and on biz trips. She'll often turn things inside-out and spray particularly a few key areas, leave that hanging till any moisture dissipates, then turn them right-side out and maybe do a few key areas from the outside, too. Nice to freshen things up if you're going to wear them twice. Also nice to have Febreze handy in your cabin. ;)

Also bring your favorite spot-remover, of course.

I'm going to guess if the Noordam hasn't got self-serve laundry, then the Oosterdam probably hasn't, either. Thanks for this helpful thread. Having been on the Veendam, I was mistakenly just assuming I'd have access to a washer. :-|

Enjoy yourselves,

Susan

I bring the Downey spray with me - it comes in nice little travel sized bottles now. I spritz clothes after I wear them and they are fresh for another wearing. It also helps get out any wrinkles. Be sure, though, to put the little bottles in a ziploc bag or two - I once had a "leak" with one of the larger bottles and it got some of my clothes wet. I just hung them until they dried, it didn't in any way hurt the clothing, just got it a little wet.

Mary

susandiego and willowoodf, great tips. Thanks. I'll look for the Downy spray in the small bottles. Wonder if Febreeze comes in a small bottle too?

Shout makes wipes that are easy to take with you on a cruise. My MIL swears by the Tide pens, but that hasn't worked as well for me as the Shout wipes.

They make mesh, fold up things (made just like the pop-up hampers) that lay flat across the bath tub. They are made to lay your clothes out flat on to dry, and since they are mesh your clothes dry much faster than laying them out on a solid surface. I bought mine at Wal Mart, and it folds down very small - perfect for travelling.

Found this one on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Hanging-Sweater-Dryer-Jumbo/dp/B0000TQENI/sr=8-5/qid=1170616917/ref=sr_1_5/102-0325746-4356907?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen

They make mesh, fold up things (made just like the pop-up hampers) that lay flat across the bath tub. They are made to lay your clothes out flat on to dry, and since they are mesh your clothes dry much faster than laying them out on a solid surface. I bought mine at Wal Mart, and it folds down very small - perfect for travelling.

Found this one on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Hanging-Sweater-Dryer-Jumbo/dp/B0000TQENI/sr=8-5/qid=1170616917/ref=sr_1_5/102-0325746-4356907?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen

Thank you, bankerbabe! I'll take a run over to Wal-Mart tomorrow! That's where I found my pop-up hamper, BTW.

Archived