Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

When I was in Galveston in April, the Triumph was sailing out..we were down by the pier and watched her go!! I was hoping it was the Magic...but still we waived at everyone at they headed out! It's so fun...because we know they are going off on a vacation that they have been looking forward to for months...and will have a great time!! After all...there will be WCMC!!!

Cerabella..... your going to have such a great time!!.:)..I have to wait 53 weeks for my next trip!

Shopping...ugh... and between sizes... double ugh!

We had rain finally last night...this morning...a sneak peek that fall is a few more weeks away and I can't wait! :)

Good Morning!!

Need some good reading to keep you on track??.....

Saw this today.........and ...had to come give ya a little link to encourage ya Low Carbers! ;)

Weight Loss Boosters

Turns out Dr. Atkins was on to something: According to a recent study, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you’ve got to pile your plate with protein.

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/20-protein-packed-foods-slim

Good Morning!!

Need some good reading to keep you on track??.....

Saw this today.........and ...had to come give ya a little link to encourage ya Low Carbers! ;)

Weight Loss Boosters

Turns out Dr. Atkins was on to something: According to a recent study, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you’ve got to pile your plate with protein.

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/20-protein-packed-foods-slim

I know WE know, & many others know too, but we just have to drive our own bus (er, make that ship!) & do what is best for us, because even tho others say it & know it, it seems like this way of eating is always being re-invented, modified, changed, etc...I perused the book store isle today & wow - all the copy cats, etc, but sad to say, most people won't stick with it...I guess they get tired of fish, chicken, steak, pork, eggs...:confused:

Oh well, I am rambling - gotta keep on track myself & try to keep DH moderately LC!

Howdy!! How's your week?

We went to the mountains over the weekend....want to know how much muscle you have in the calves of your legs?.... go up and down a very steep hill with a 3 year old that has made it into a game and it's fun for everyone!!.... EEEk! for 2 days...the back of my legs were sore!

Steady seems to be my summer theme .... bummer, huh!

Oh well... keep on keeping on!

Just wanted to leave an update and commite here.

I show livestock at the coutry fair. From Set-up to clean-up is 12 days. I went off program. Just a bun with the dog at first and was working hard enough that I was maintaining the first seven, than.........

Any way when I weighed in the first night home I was up nine pound:eek: Two days later I was still up seven. I was going nuts at night craving anything high carb and couldn't stop myself and never got enough.

I put myself on a 48 hour low/under 10 carb meat only to break the cycle.

I was crying and shaking before it was over. I think my husband got thru his head that this is an addiction. Well, I hope this broke the addiction cycle. I did drop the rest of the gain and am back to pre-fair weight.

Just posting this in hopes it may help another. I just can't give into carbs.

Hey Melody!!

I'm glad to see you come back and post....as you write about your last 2 weeks...I'm so glad for you that your pre-fair weight again!!! And Fair Food......YIKES!!!!:eek:..... so high carb because so much is fried ...or battered and then fried! :eek: (Our Fair starts in 2 weeks!... I'm not planning on going! LOL!)

Hang in there Girlie!!

Cerabella..........are you back.....did you take care of the Magic for me? :p;)

Warm Pumpkin Bowl (breakfast)

1/2 cup canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

1 egg

splash of cream,half&half or unsweetened almond or coconut milk

dash of pumpkin pie spice

dash of cinnamon

1 pkt artificial sweetener or splash liquid artificial sweetener

Whisk all together in microwave safe bowl until smooth. Microwave

on high 3-5 minutes or until set. (this will vary depending on depth of bowl)

I eat it with a little cream cheese smeared on top or you can drizzle with sugar free syrup. Makes a good warm breakfast.

suitable for induction.

Hi all! I just started an Atkins-esque diet 2 weeks ago and am down 9 pounds already! I'm deployed and have limited food options, which is why it's not strictly Atkins. Do any of you plan on staying low carb once you've reached your goal weight? What about when cruising?

I'm on day 40 of induction. Plan to go 56 days on induction, then go on Owl. I really have to watch it because I've been on Atkins before and when I got off I got the sweet cravings back like there was no tomorrow. I plan to add 5 carbs a day the first 2 weeks (1 cup of raw cauliflower, plus 2 tbsps. of sour cream), then the next 2 weeks add 6 strawberries to my Atkins shake, then the final 5 days before I leave on my cruise I will had 1 slice of fiber whole wheat bread. Then I'm not going to worry what happens when I'm away - I'll be busy. Gone 16 days.

When I get back I hope to maintain at about 129 carbs a day. I did that for 6 weeks and didn't gain. I'm a once a day exerciser.

I just returned from a cruise, & stayed mostly low carb w/ no problem! I head straight to the 'omelet' station every morning for one or two eggs over easy, some bacon, plain greek yogurt & I'm set for the day until lunch. Carnival always has fresh abundant salad availability so I start there for lunch & add the meat of the day, etc. If we eat in the MDR @ nite, I simply say no when the bread comes around...

Now, I do splurge a little here & there, but we are super active - stairs, snorkeling, walking everywhere...I never come home more than two or three lbs up, & don't feel I have deprived myself of good food (or drink!) on my vaca! I will be a little more liberal in port esp if it is local food - we had a fabulous meal in Roatan that included plantain, & a few other things I didn't want to miss,

So, yes, cruising can definitely be food friendly, just kinda make up your mind - 'is this .... worth it?' To me, bread rarely is...warm melting chocolate cake however, sans ice cream always is! I see there is a recipe in the '02 Dr A book for Molten Chocolate Cake under deserts that I somehow missed, or was too lazy to try...hmmm may just have to try that one!

Wow great recipe. Looking forward to trying it!

Here is my Low carb cheese cake

Mix till smooth with electric mixer-

4-8 ounce pkgs. cream cheese softened

¾ cup splenda- more or less to suit your taste-2/3 to 1 cup

add-

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/3 cup sour cream

When this is all mixed together add -

4 eggs slightly beaten

Do not over beat once the eggs are in, just til blended

Pour the mixture into springform pan that you have sprayed with vegetable spray and lined the bottom with parchment. Bake the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven with a pan of water on the shelf under it for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, separating it from the sides of the pan, and gently remove springform. Then transfer cheesecake to serving plate.

12 slices at less than 5 carbs each!

Edited by callydanny

Callydanny.... good dessert recipe!!

Welcome back Cerabella!! I think it's pretty easy to Low Carb it on a Cruise... they do the cooking....but we have to make the right choices!! Well...that melting cake....:p

So many new posters!!! WELCOME!!!!

What are some of you doing for Excersize?

Callydanny.... good dessert recipe!!

Welcome back Cerabella!! I think it's pretty easy to Low Carb it on a Cruise... they do the cooking....but we have to make the right choices!! Well...that melting cake....:p

So many new posters!!! WELCOME!!!!

What are some of you doing for Excersize?

I do Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones 5 times a week. I can definitely see the beginnings of abs already, and I've only been at it for 3 weeks.

Thanks for asking. I meant "by getting off of it" - eating a well-balanced diet including 50% carbohydrates, like, for instance, on a cruise ship - fruits, bread, maybe dessert, starch at dinner, etc. and I'm not talking about going hog wild, just normal eating. I've been rigid with Atkins' induction (day 44 for me). No slips. Can't afford it right now.

For exercise, I do 30 minutes on the exercycle every day. Tennis 2 or 3 times a week (doubles), a tennis drill, croquet (you'd be surprised how good of exercise this is, sometimes it's 3 hours). I do the pull-up bar in my house (15 seconds hanging) and do the big ball with some exercises with the cord.

Thanks for clarifying, I thought I was gonna have to go off on you about how its a WOE and not a fad diet and how unhealthy it is for you to go on and off all the time and all that, LOL!

I personally dont have too much issue with people modifying the Atkins program to their own lifestyle, I think you can still improve your health with this WOE without sticking to every last detail of the program. I DO however have a problem with people who bash it without even knowing how Atkins works or is designed. I run into this alot too. I just ignore them now.

I started Atkins to control my blood glucose levels and it has worked beautifully even with me modifying a few things here and there due to my having Celiac Disease.

What's WOE?

Way of eating

And I found a great lc alternative for hash browns:

take 1/2 C cooked spagetti squash mix with 1 egg and some shredded cheddar cheese

I fry mine with bacon grease and make a patty - it really is like hash browns!!! I salt & pepper with some lc ketchup Yummy!

Hi all! I just started an Atkins-esque diet 2 weeks ago and am down 9 pounds already! I'm deployed and have limited food options, which is why it's not strictly Atkins. Do any of you plan on staying low carb once you've reached your goal weight? What about when cruising?

I've been on low card off and on since 03. When I go off I gain like crazy. Than I have to do something major to get my head right again to break the carb addictions. For me it had to be a Atkins WOE for life or wieght gain. I'm just too carb resistant. I have even worked with a therapist that work just with people with eating issues. She verified I need to stay on a very low carb lifestyle.

I do eat way more carbs on cruises. But, if I want that cookie I have to climb at least two flights of stairs to go get it. Than two back and walk the length of the ship.

Edited by PINEVIEW01

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Low Carbers!! - Here we go into the Fall months of great soups, baking, apples, ciders ..... How will you handle it? Are you staying on track?

I'm staying the same...but honestly not trying real hard this last month....so IF I ever hit my goal... I should stay there for years!! haha!

Since I posted last, I have moved my youngest sister to NM...she is living with us and working on getting settled in as a new resident. A week long Baby Shower with company from out of town/state and a few days to go play. A new Grandson that came about 2 weeks early (10/02/2012) and now we have the Biggest Hot Air Balloon Fiesta that starts tomorrow morning for all week, which I've been getting ready for! All of those Breakfast Burritos?.... yes please! Hold the potatoes and after I eat the goodies inside... toss the tortillia!

Wow... and have I been walking...walking and walking! It's finally cool enough to really enjoy getting out! I'm glad to see the hot summer go....:)

How's everyone doing? What's your weekend plans?

How's everyone doing? What's your weekend plans?

Hi Jean! My weekend plans are to hop on the Elation in NOLA!! Woohoo!

I've lost 4 pounds since July (scary, I know) & I'll be working hard not to put them all back on...I have a feeling I will anyway.

Stairs only (except when luggage is involved), we have active days in port & I'll only eat the cheats I really, really want. :)

I'm so excited...so far, we've managed to keep it a secret from the kids. I can't wait to see their faces when they see it's a cruise!

Have a great week!

Oh Lisa!!! I remember that you booked this as a family trip!!

You have a Crazy Good time with them!! I know you'll behave with the extra goodies and you'll be burning them off!

Come back and tell us how it went with the kids!! What a special Memory you'll have with this adventure.... and a new generation hooked on Cruising! LOL!