Smoking in staterooms

lgfromdg

I know many of you will be groaning when you see this and I understand after reading all the threads that have addressed smoking. However, there is something I just don't understand. On the NCL site, there is an section called FAQ. One question is "What about smoking, drinking and gambling on the ship?" NCL's answer is " Smoking is permitted in designated areas in bars and outside on open decks. All other areas on board ship are non-smoking". To read this, a person would have to think that since NCL does not state that smoking is permitted in staterooms, then they would fall into the non-smoking areas. Yet, in every thread I've read, people say that smoking is allowed in staterooms. So why the discrepency?

My intent is not to turn this thread into a another battle between smokers & non-smokers. I just want to know for sure what the policy is.

So why the discrepency?

Poor writing. NCL needs to rewrite much of the copy that's on their web site. It's often unclear, misleading, or ambiguous.

To the OP: yes, smoking is allowed in all NCL staterooms.

Interestingly, our balcony cabin on deck 11 on the Spirit last week had a metallic sign next to the TV that said Thank You For Not Smoking. OTOH, there were discussions by the cruise director about not smoking in bed, so in essence they were saying you could smoke in your cabin but not in bed.

We did have someone two rooms down that smoked stinky cigars out on their balcony. Of course that was still better than having them next door and smoking in their room!

Teri

KSSTIZME, I also am a non-smoker. I just couldn't understand why if the NCL site does not say that their policy applies to public areas only, why everyone agreed that smoking is allowed in rooms. But since everyone says it, it must be so. I've only cruised once before, on Disney, which doesn't allow smoking in their staterooms. So based on what I read on the NCL site, I thought it was the same on their ships. Would I have still booked knowing what I know now? Probably. I just hope my room doesn't smell like smoke. And I know that if it does, I can ask for an ionizer to clear the air.

So thanks to all and let's agree to disagree and not get into another message board battle on smoking. This is something we will obviously never agree on.

Putting aside the pros and cons of smoking...

I'm surprised they allow smoking in staterooms. Fire is the biggest hazard at sea.. and if someone falls asleep in bed with a lit cigarette... well, I don't even want to think about the tragedy that could unfold.

Perhaps they don't state that you can smoke in your cabin because they hope that people will read into it that you can't. That way, many who smoke will believe that they aren't supposed to and only smoke in the designated areas. There will always be those that would do it regardless, but maybe not as many as if they posted that it was allowed. Just a thought.

KSSTIZME, I also am a non-smoker. I just couldn't understand why if the NCL site does not say that their policy applies to public areas only, why everyone agreed that smoking is allowed in rooms. But since everyone says it, it must be so. I've only cruised once before, on Disney, which doesn't allow smoking in their staterooms. So based on what I read on the NCL site, I thought it was the same on their ships. Would I have still booked knowing what I know now? Probably. I just hope my room doesn't smell like smoke. And I know that if it does, I can ask for an ionizer to clear the air.

So thanks to all and let's agree to disagree and not get into another message board battle on smoking. This is something we will obviously never agree on.

Disney doesn't allow smoking in the staterooms? That is a new one on me. The only line I know thaty doesn't allow smoking in the staterooms is Oceania.

Here is a CC article that outlines the smoking policies on pretty much all the major cruise lines:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=225

As you can see, most cruise lines allow smoking in cabins. Disney is considered second only to Oceania in strictness.

Thanks johnql. Looks like the question has been asked and answered. :)

Archived