Buff Brides?!

briseis23

Ooh, that is really annoying! I mean, it's GREAT news, don't get me wrong, but it can be frustrating because guys do seem to lose weight really easily sometimes.

My fiancé's brother has recently lost 40 pounds by doing nothing except eating as a vegetarian! :eek:

Good luck to everyone. I too NEED to step it up this week. I gained 0.4 pounds. :( Booo.

I just thought I would check in with my fellow BUFF BRIDES! I have been doing a low-carb diet and doing mountain bike interval training for 30 mins/6 miles a day and I have lost 11lbs! I am very excited! Dress shopping will be much more enjoyable now. I would still love to lose another 25lbs. We still haven't picked a date yet (finding a hard time finding a meaningful date that doesn't fall during hurricane season) so I'm just going to keep plugging away at my goal.

Nikki-

Have you ever seen the commercial for Slim Quick? It makes me laugh so much because it's a girl and a guy and the girl says something like, "he gives up soda and loses 10 pounds, I give up soda and lose 3 pounds, he eats sandwiches for lunch and loses 5 pounds, I haven't had bread in 6 months!)

youtube has the video... here is the link

I totally understand where you are coming from! my fiance is thin (he's working on a 6 pack) and even though I've lost over 30lbs, I still have at LEAST 40 to go. He can EAT as much as he wants and whatever he wants.

Speaking of which, I treated him by making BBQ chicken pizza for dinner. I'll have two tiny slices and he will finish the rest. Actually I'd better go claim mine before it's all gone...

Hi girls...

I posted the other day about the Fat Smash Diet. Well, I started today. I will keep you posted of my progress. I only have 8 days left with no coffee... that is the hardest part for me. Other than that, today went very well for both FI and me. 19 lbs. to get off my butt and counting... ;)

My ex husband was one of those 'skinny' guys too. Ate like a hog and never did break 150 lbs, and he is 6'1"!!! I used to always feel so inferior because my husband wore smaller pants than I did. No such case now... my fiance gains what he eats. That makes me feel a little better! :D lol

kandlwed..Good luck! Keep us posted!

Welcome to all the new posters! :)

I'm starting to GAIN inches back. Added one to my waist and one to my thighs, imagine. :rolleyes: I'm so disappointed. I know it's mostly my own fault and that the gain should motivate me, but it doesn't. I can't do my normal exercise routine because of my healing arm and I can't get the gumption to do anything else.

My diet is a disaster zone still. I was doing so good and just bombed. I have a night class this summer and I'm in school from 4-10pm two nights a week. I can't get myself to eat healthy when I get home; I've been grabbing fast food on the way back or eating snacks instead of a meal. I also work my part time job 4 nights a week as a server and I'm never home to eat properly. I need to work on that!

My fiance TOTALLY fell off the wagon and his bad eating habits are just too damn tempting. It's good in a way though because if he keeps it up, he'll be buying my new cruise wardrobe! :D

Lora, I agree with Rachie, don't be too hard on yourself. You are human and will slip. Just do your best to get back on track. You do need to allow yourself some "fun" days or you will go crazy. Hang in there, you will look amazing for your wedding!!! :)

I love that SlimQuick commercial! That is exactly how I feel. My fiance' can get really motivated to lose weight & in two weeks can lose what I've been working on losing over 2 MONTHS!

Oh well ladies...just remember...ANYTHING you do will be an improvement, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem at the time!

I think I'm going to have to cut this low-carb diet though...I have ZERO energy, and when I'm working 12 hour night shifts that is a very BAD THING!

Another newbie here! I am getting married in 15 months (I know, it feels like FOREVER). I want to start a diet and exercise program but I have no clue where to start. I would like to lose about 25 pounds and really do some toning before the wedding. The bonus is I have a while to lose the weight. The bad part is I AM NOT MOTIVATED AT ALL! FH is semi dieting--only when he wants to--so he is no help!

I mostly want to exercise more--I eat pretty healthy anyway. I don't drink any sodas and my favorite food is salad!

So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so happy I found this thread!!

Grrrr!!! I had a really long post and then POOF it just disappeared... so here is the short version...

Lora- I'm glad you're healing... maybe swimming would work? (Not that I'm such a big fan of the pool, ;) but I must admit that it's doing wonders for my arms.) Also, I hear you about the eating-while-going-to-class, dilemma. Unfortunately, that's what got me into this size, so I don't have any answers for you...

Ashbeth, welcome aboard and congrats! You have plenty of time to figure out what motivates you. For me, I make a weekly schedule (based on how busy I am at work...) and then if I stick to it, I get a treat (and for me, the treat is always a pedicure!).

Ok ladies, just a quick note of concern. I'm not sure what the weather is like where you all are, but here in NJ it is oppressively hot. Tonight I watched as an ambulance was called for a woman who had been exercising in the air-conditioned gym. Please be careful, especially if you are working out outside. Sometimes water alone isn't enough....

Thanks all. I am going to start hitting the gym and I am planning to go to my first weight watchers meeting on Tuesday.

TygerPawz, Was weight watchers instrumental in helping you lose the weight so quickly? I really don't know what to expect. I have never been to a weight watchers meeting.

Lisa, YES it was the only reason I was able to lose all the weight! I don't think I would have gotten as motivated as I did without going. Going to the meetings kept me in check every week, and having my fiance there to tell me I was doing such a great job helped a lot. One thing you have to remember - DON'T CHEAT!! No one else is going to care that you had that pint of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream and didn't count it towards your points. The only person you're cheating is YOURSELF!! I will be here if you need any help, and my e-mail is epille@gmail.com if you have any questions!

I just thought I would check in with my fellow BUFF BRIDES! I have been doing a low-carb diet and doing mountain bike interval training for 30 mins/6 miles a day and I have lost 11lbs! I am very excited! Dress shopping will be much more enjoyable now. I would still love to lose another 25lbs. We still haven't picked a date yet (finding a hard time finding a meaningful date that doesn't fall during hurricane season) so I'm just going to keep plugging away at my goal.

Congrats NurseBeth! Keep up the good work!

Welcome Ashbeth609. I too have a weight loss goal of 25 lbs and I only have 3-1/2 months to do it. I went to my first weight watchers meeting this evening trying to find some motivation and support also. I believe that it will help me stay on my weight loss goals. I also joined a small local gym to help with my toning. I really enjoy walking outdoors and I don't get much from treadmills or stairclimbers. However, I know that weights are the key to getting a toned body so I am going to try to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week only for toning. I found the people at weight watchers very supportive. Good luck. I know that you will find what is right for you.

Lisa

Lisa, YES it was the only reason I was able to lose all the weight! I don't think I would have gotten as motivated as I did without going. Going to the meetings kept me in check every week, and having my fiance there to tell me I was doing such a great job helped a lot. One thing you have to remember - DON'T CHEAT!! No one else is going to care that you had that pint of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream and didn't count it towards your points. The only person you're cheating is YOURSELF!! I will be here if you need any help, and my e-mail is epille@gmail.com if you have any questions!

TygerPawz,

Thank you so very much. I really enjoyed my first weight watchers meeting tonight. They really gave me a lot of great material. My fiance joined with me also. I don't know that he will be as diligent as I plan to be, but I know he will give it his best shot. Thanks for your email. I am sure that I will have plenty of questions for you. I also believe that the support that this thread gives is a definite plus. Well.... my first weigh in.....154.8 lbs. :eek: 25 lbs to go. :o

Lisa

Day 2 down on the Fat Smash Diet. It is going well. I cheated this morning and weighed myself (not suppose to until the end of the 9 day detox) but I lost 3 lbs. I am pretty sure it is just water weight, but it still makes me feel good. I have been getting headaches because of the no coffee deal, but I heard after the 3rd day it gets better. :)

Good job everyone! Welcome Ashbeth! 25 pounds is completely doable I think! Just find a program you enjoy and can stick to.

For toning I definitely recommend doing the Buff Brides book (I know I tell this to everyone, sorry!) But it has made SUCH a difference in my arms, stomach, and even my back (weird, I know). I'm on week 7 out of 24. I really started noticing results about 2 weeks ago. It's a book with exercises (weights/situps/pushups, that kind of thing) and there is a 6 month and a 3 month program to choose from. They might even have it at your library if you want to check it out before buying. They also give you a recommended amount of cardio to hit for the week.

It's 3 days a week and it really doesn't seem like it takes up that much time. I usually will do it while the TV is on! :D

In other news, now I'm down 2 pounds after being up 0.4.! Woo! I'm really close to the mini-goal I set for myself which is coming up Saturday! I think that will push me through the end of this week...

Mandabear, thank you for the note about pushing yourself in hot weather. Definitely take it easy when exercising outdoors and pay attention to your body. Luckily here it has cooled off beautifully today!

Right now, I just use the book. I actually have the DVD, too, but I haven't used it yet.

I like it a lot because it tells me exactly what to do, how many reps, when to increase reps, etc.

The only things you will need are some handweights, one of those big exercise balls, and ankle weights (if you want). There are some step exercises, I just use a stepping stool that I already had.

One more thing, as the wedding gets closer I think it will be stepped up to 4 days a week in order to really tone those arms.

Good luck!!!

Yeah, I don't use the Buff Brides DVD because I don't have all the equipment, but I do many of the exercises at the gym.

I think I have found the best way to lose weight... get your wisdom teeth removed! I had mine extracted yesterday and I think I've already lost 5lbs. Haha!

I did go to the gym in the morning yesterday since my surgery was in the afternoon. My trainer gave me a really hard workout. One of the exercises was this type of lunge/squat. See the pic below, and just imagine that the barbell is part of a machine and you have one foot behind you on a step and you are squatting that way. It definitely was a good leg exercise!

You are doing better then me with your wisdom teeth. I was in bed for 2 days!! I had complications though, and a reaction to the meds.

Good luck!!!

I ordered Buff Brides online today. Can't wait to get started! Even though I have more then enough time, I am going to start now. FH and I are going to Ireland for vacation in October. Might as well try to lose a few pounds before that!

I feel so motivated today! Thanks everyone! :D

Ash there is no time like the present to start working towards your goal. My wedding is 15 months away but I want to get where I want to be long before that. Then you can just work on maintaining your weight, rather than having "those last few pounds to lose" stressing you out right before your wedding day! Plus I imagine dress shopping will be a lot more enjoyable when I can find more than one dress in my size in the bridal shop!

On a side note....I got enough courage to try on my good trusty pair of Tommy jeans that I hadn't been able to fit into in about 8 months. THEY FIT! I am so excited!

Keep up the good work ladies! Maybe one day I will get up the courage to post up a "before" pic along with a "present day" picture to show my progress & keep me motivated.

Thats a great idea...if only I had the courage to do it!! Might just take one and hang it on the refridgerator!!

That's what I do. I make sure to take it down when company arrives though! lol

The Buff Brides DVD requires the use of the resistance band (provided, but I think I'm going to get a better one) and a set of dumbells, no specific weight just what you can handle.

Brise..I had my wisdom teeth cut out about 15 years ago. That SUCKED!! I hope you're feeling better soon!

I did OK today. I was on the go again today because I went and had my hair dyed back to my natural color (I had some really blonde highlights and chunks that I was tired of!). I knew time was short, I have to leave for class soon, and I did stop and pick something up to eat. SUBWAY!! I wanted a burger so bad, but I had a nice Club with some Baked Doritos and a glass of milk. Little by little!! :) Thanks for the support. It really helps!

Archived