Bonaire Scuba Question

david d

I posted this on the Bonaire Destination Board but I don't think those boards are too popular so I am hoping someone hear can assist. We are sailing on the Crown on 2-17 and are going to Bonaire. My wife and I have never scuba'd and would like to. We heard about beginner scuba excursions where you can actually do a dive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Once you arrive in the island pick up a map from their tourist authority, which has a list of all the 'spots' for diving, snorkeling, swimming, and topless swimming :eek:

I did see the area near the dock, but I'd be a bit nervous :mad: to dive too close to the ship. The water was good and shallow (amazing how little draft the ship has). Keep in mind travel arrangements in Bonaire can be squirrely because of limited resources, it could take a while to get a cab. Prices for cab are decent.

You can book a DSD(discover scuba diving)excursion on the ship, but that excurson is probably sold out by now. If you are lucky to get on it, do it, otherwise you can go on the wait list. Princess uses Yellow Submarine Dive shop and you do a dive just in front of the dive shop on a reef called, you got it....yelow sub reef. It is well worth doing it and a lot of fun. Yellow Sub is a great operator and you are in very good hands with them. ENJOY!!!

• 10 months later...

when there wasn't a cruise ship there and was joined by a large school of 5 foot baracudas. I don't recommend doing an open water dive the first time without adequate pre instruction. You don't have that much time at this port. Go to a local dive shop and take their classes before you go. You will be better prepared to enjoy your dive once you know what you are doing. Going under 60 feet can be very frightening the first time.

Archived