Food on Norwegian Sun

Crafti2750

We are booked on the Norwegian Cruise-Sun on Nov. 10,2007 we are wondering how is the food. Some one told my brother in law who is going with us that the food was terrible and they got meatloaf one time for dinner,we have been on many cruises but this is our first on this cruise line Help please

We were on the Sun in 12/2006 & food was great. Been on Carnival, NCL, and RCI & we enjoyed the Sun food the most with Carnival Conquest a very close second. Going again Sunday so we'll see if it's the same. Went to East Meets West & steak was one of best we've had.

From all the reviews I have read, it's a matter of opinion. Give me a week & 4 days & I'll give you mine :)

Seriously, I think it all depends on your expectations & what you personally like to eat. There have been varying degrees of opinions from loving the food to thinking it's the worst on a cruiseline.

We are booked on the Norwegian Cruise-Sun on Nov. 10,2007 we are wondering how is the food. Some one told my brother in law who is going with us that the food was terrible and they got meatloaf one time for dinner,we have been on many cruises but this is our first on this cruise line Help please

The food is fine and you will not be served meatloaf in the main dining room - although it used to be (not sure if it still is) available (along with other choices) in one of the alternate restaurants which specializes in more "casual" food.

That is what I thought, TitanFan good to hear you are going, maybe we can plan on getting together,on the ship . There is five couples going two couples are first time cruisers.

1989- Premire cruiser line it was our first and honey moon

5- Royal Caribbeans

2-celebrity cruises

1- princess cruise

1 -Reninance R3 cruise to Tahiti which we will go there again been to Alaska twice, Bermuda twice and love every bit of cruising

Thanks for the info, anyway

Titanfan how many are coming with you and from where?

we are all from PA.

Fran

Heading out on the Sun, 2/18/07, for 7 days of heaven.

This will be our 3rd NCL cruise our 5th overall, and we really prefer the freestyle concept. It is so great not to have to eat at the same time every evening with the same people. The food is excellent, never had a bad meal on an NCL ship or any cruiseline for that matter.

Anyone who has a complaint needs to take a good look at themselves.

There is no such thing as a bad cruise, just a bad attitude, be open minded and go with the flow.

Norwegian Sun 2/18/07 W.Caribbean

Costa Magica 2006 E. Caribbean

Norwegian Star 2005 Alaska

HAL Zuiderdam 2005 Bahamas

Norwegian Sea 2004 W.Caribbean

Food is always subjective. If you come from an area where there aren't many fancy restaurants then the food might be the best ever. If you are used to fine dining, then the food may not be up to your scale, however the reverse can be true as well. All I can say is that I never had a bad experience with any of the restaurants on the Sun (or the Star) and I have enjoyed fine dining - I just like the experience too much to really care :)

If they got meatloaf, they had to ask for it from among several other choices, or served it to themselves at the buffet (again many other choices)

So there shouldn't have been a problem.

-Monte

Food is always subjective. If you come from an area where there aren't many fancy restaurants then the food might be the best ever. If you are used to fine dining, then the food may not be up to your scale, however the reverse can be true as well. All I can say is that I never had a bad experience with any of the restaurants on the Sun (or the Star) and I have enjoyed fine dining - I just like the experience too much to really care :)

I hadn't thought about it this way. We just returned from the Sun on Sunday and I wasn't impressed with the food, but it may be because I've been spoiled in New Orleans. Meatloaf was served at one meal in the dining room. I think it was at dinner, but may have been lunch. There were other choices and I didn't get it. My husband actually loves meatloaf and he got it but wasn't impressed (my opinion on that is how CAN you be impressed with meatloaf). IMHO the food was OK, but definitely not the highlight of the trip.

If they got meatloaf, they had to ask for it from among several other choices, or served it to themselves at the buffet (again many other choices)

So there shouldn't have been a problem.

-Monte

I think you can get meatloaf at Pacific Heights, which some people like for its home cooking-type dishes.

But whether it was here, or in the main dining room, or in the buffet, it will have been one choice out of many, as you say.

And jerhardt's observations are right on the mark.

Just came back from the Sun. Food was okay...not great. Breakfast was terrible. Went to the East Meets West the first night. The worst steak I ever had! Went to the italian restaurant...very good food and much cheeper than East Meets West. BUt DH mentioned his disappointment on his comment card at the end of the week and we were credited for the meal. But be warned if you don't find anything on the menu that you like...you are out of luck for sure. They didn't offer any other choice.

I do think food is so subjective plus even on the same ship it can vary from week to week. We did the Sun last spring and found the food, overall to be really good. Le Bistro and Tappayaki were the best of the special dining rooms> I had Lobster in East meets West; I have had much worse, but better as well. I can't remember what DD had, I do know she wasn't totally thrilled. The service was ok, but not flawless. All the rest of our meals were certainly better than average. I think, the one thing so many of us forget, in the main dining rooms, food is mass produced and isn't going to be Ruth Chris quality. I don't care what cruise line we are talking about or what ship. We did find the food on HAL to be better than any other line. The speicialty dining room on HAL wasn't as good as East meets West, our waiter was very unimpressive with his phoney French accent, we almost starting laughing and the cost: $30.00.

The meatloaf, being referred to is served in Pacific Heights, the healthy choice dining room. I have never seen it on any menu in the main dining room. As for not finding something on the menu that appeals to you and no alternatives being offered, this is too bad. I hate to see the standard alternatives removed. On the other hand, until about 5 years ago, I never noticed alternatives offered on any line. Personally I can't imagine with a poultry entree, a meat or two and a fish each night, there isn't something for everyone. NMnita

Archived