Phone number for Avis in Skagway

MLinFL

Does anyone have the direct phone number for the Avis Car Rental Office in Skagway? We are thinking of renting a car there and driving to Emerald Lake. Would they offer maps? Also, how far away is the car rental office from the pier?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

This is the phone number listed on the skagway.com travel bureau site. I'm pretty sure it's the one we called to reserve our car.

The number is: (907) 983-2247. It's not very far from the pier to the rental car company, but we caught a bus right outside the pier since we weren't sure where it was. The driver dropped us right in front of the Avis office even thought it wasn't a regular stop.

They do have a newspaper with directions. I don't remember it having a map, but it's the only road leading that way out of town. You won't get lost. We also printed out the travel directions from Yukon's explorenorth.com website. Print it out and read it before you go, as he has lots of great information on what to look for.

Thanks, we reserved a car and I am reading up on the area. I do have a slight reservation about going off on our own. I have this fear that we will have car trouble and being out in the middle of nowhere, we wouldn't be able to call any one to help us. Anyone else feel like this? Don't want to miss the ship!

Mary Lou

The car we rented from Avis was an almost new Toyota Camry, with about 8000 KM on it (no idea how that translated to miles :confused: ). I think you will be ok renting through them. The road, while definitely not a busy one, has enough traffic that I wouldn't be too worried. I would definitely print out Yukon's traffic guide before you go. He gives very good instructions as to what to see en route -- just make sure to read it before you go. The scenery is so beautiful that I missed a bunch of stuff because I was too busy gawking to read the guide.

Hi!

I understand your fear, Mary Lou...we are a little nervous about doing this also. I had every intention of doing the train, but after reading a few negative coments about it, we are leaning towards renting a car & taking off with Yukons tour.

How many hours should we allow for this drive? I know if we stop for photos (which I know I will want to do) we will need more time. If we drove the whole trip without stoping, how long would it take?

THANKS to EVERYONE who posted info. on this!

rocks

The Klondike Highway is well traveled and the only road out of Skagway. :) In an emergency help would be available. The bonus- you can't get lost and the drive is one scenic adventure after another. I would allow at least 4 hours- it's 150 miles round trip. Don't rush and allow plenty of time for any stops that catch your interest. :)

As usual, Budget Queen is totally correct. When we did this drive in June, it took us about 4-5 hours. The scenery is absolutely beautiful, and there is always a chance of seeing wildlife (not that we were that lucky :( ).

I wasn't worried about getting back as our ship was in port from about 7:00 in the morning until fairly late in the evening. I've read quite a few other posts where people did a horseback riding trip at Emerald Lake, so I think most of the cruise ships allow adequate time in Skagway. We left town at about 10:00 in the morning, and got back between 2:00 and 3:00. It left plenty of time for shopping.

By the way, the cruise back out of Skagway was extremely beautiful. It was one of my favorite parts of the "at sea" part of the cruise . We were lucky enough to have probably the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen, and it lasted forever. I have a beautiful photo taken of some unnamed glacier with the sunset in the background, so keep your eyes open as you leave Skagway.

Got a reservation for Labor Day for our drive and got a good deal thru the Costco travel/Avis link $58 full size no mileage. Anyway it printed a confirm & # for me but being the insecure anal type that I am I just had to call Skagwaty today to make sure they had the reservation and sure enough they do. Woo Hoo it's coming together> Bring on the DOCS, Bring on the Docs!

Got a reservation for Labor Day for our drive and got a good deal thru the Costco travel/Avis link $58 full size no mileage. Anyway it printed a confirm & # for me but being the insecure anal type that I am I just had to call Skagwaty today to make sure they had the reservation and sure enough they do. Woo Hoo it's coming together> Bring on the DOCS, Bring on the Docs!

I hope you mean unlimitied milage???

Archived