London Which Hotel

Hi, We Are Looking Into Spending Three Nights Pre Cruise In London,the Cruiseline Offers Three

City Inn Westminster

Hilton London Metropole

St Martins Lane

Which One Would You Pick,does Anyone Know Anything About These Hotels,which One Would Be The Best Location. Any Information You Can Provide I Would Appreciate.

(sry About Caps)

I would pick the St Martins Lane Hotel which has a geat location just off of Trafalgar Square and which is near Leicester Square,Covent Garden,Theatreland,Trafalgar Square,Whitehall,Westminster etc... The other two hotels especially the Hilton Metropole are further away from the action.

My two cents:

We did a post-cruise in England after sailing the Crown Princess to the Baltic in 2001 and stayed in the Best Western Paddington Court...which is fairly close to the London Hilton Metropole.

My parents just got back from a cruise on the Constellation that we kids gave them as a gift and I booked them into the Hilton through Celebrity.

I am booked on the Constellation for next July and am going to book a pre and possibly post cruise stay at the Hilton as well.

First of all, I like the location. The neighborhood is nice and a little more upscale and residential than some of the others. You can pick up any form of transportation...from the Heathrow Express Train to the Underground to the "Hop-on, hop-off" tourist buses to taxis from Paddington, making it fairly convenient to see or go to anything in London you might want. For such a big city, London really isn't that hard a town to get around...

Like Mike, I agree about the location of St.Martins. You can walk from there to many places of interest, especially galleries and theatres.

However, I do not know the quality of the different hotels.

Note that all UK rooms will seem small to American eyes, we are just a small island and land is very costly, particularly in London.

cinnamon

thanks everyone,I am sure I will have a million more questions before this is over :) .bruinsteve, I recognize your name from the old boards,you wrote one of the funniest post I have read on the boards about your wife and packing,I hope I am not wrong and that it was you.if you saved that post you should post it again it was too funny

bruinsteve, I recognize your name from the old boards,you wrote one of the funniest post I have read on the boards about your wife and packing,I hope I am not wrong and that it was you.if you saved that post you should post it again it was too funny

Yeah...the same me...I SHOULD save some of this stuff, shouldn't I? Well, not THIS post, but, when I get on a roll...

Which One Would You Pick,does Anyone Know Anything About These Hotels,which One Would Be The Best Location.
The best location is the St Martin's Lane Hotel, without a doubt, as has already been said. It is quite frankly in a different league for convenience from either of the others. It is in the middle of town; the other two are not (although the City Inn Westminster, best known as the haunt of illicit daytime trysts, is closer to the action than the Metropole which is convenient only for the Heathrow Express).

But, moreover, the hotel itself is in a different league altogether. If the price is good, don't pass up this opportunity to stay in an Ian Schrager hotel. It will be quite unforgettable. Just don't eat there (very poor value).

I'm starting to question my choice a little...

So I went over to this site:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186338-London_England-Hotels.html

They rate all of the hotels and have reviews...

They rated the City Inn at #11 out of 1,121 London Hotels...

The Hilton Metropole came in at #169...

The St. Martins Lane a disappointing #350...with some very mixed reviews...

hi everyone I should have come back in before I booked the hilton this morning :( .the st martin was over 650.00 more to book than the hilton or the city inn westminster so I am not taking st martin as a consideration at this point (more spending money) should I call them back and take city inn westminster.I took the hilton figuring you cant go wrong but maybe this is wrong they are both the same price

If the Hilton Metropole and the City Inn Westminster are the same price, and you are interested in seeing the central London sights like museums, art galleries, the London Eye, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, going to the theatre in the evenings, taking a river cruise etc. - I would go for the City Inn. It may end up being a slightly less good hotel, possibly, but the location is infinitely better than the Hilton Metropole. You can walk to most of the places I've described, if you're prepared to do a longish walk. That is something that cannot be said for that Hilton.

Hi Everyone Thank You For All The Responces.i Am Going To Stay With The Hilton We Arent Big On Walking To Far As My Husband Has Trouble With His Knee And I Have Back Trouble So We Will Be In And Out Of Cabs Anyway.st Martins Lane Is More Than I Want To Pay.thanks Again

we just came back from our norwegian fjord cruise. spent 3 nights at the city inn westminster hotel which we booked online thru british air.did not use the airline for our flight to london. the price per night was $140.00 u.s.

hotel is very modern. rooms are very small but with a plasma tv,cd player and a cold buffet was included.

we would stay there again for that great price.

the nearest tube station was pimlico about a 7 minute walk from the hotel. the restaurant in the hotel was quite expensive. we ate one night in the pimlico area at a restaurant called "grumbles" which was pretty good. we ate fish in a restaurant called "fish" which was near the southwark tube stop.

feel free to ask anything re: the hotel.

burtshell

Jane,

We are also on the Sept. 05 cruise and are lookig for a hotel. What price did Celebrity give you for the Hilton? is this price for the room or per person. WE have never travel to Europe before?

Barbara and Mike

I was in a "sister" hotel in May called the Chesterfield Mayfair (they have some great specials on their web site), and it was fabulous. As you can see the decor is spectacular, and the service was first-rate. We have stayed at a lot of hotels in London (stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane last year which was a 5-star but liked the 4-star Chesterfield better), and we decided that we will probably stay at only Red Carnation properties in the future and will base our choice on the location desired for that trip.

I think you'll love the Rubens, and I hope you have a great trip.

Donna

I too have been trying to decide on London hotels & this website has been helpful--http://www.flyertalk.com---go to FORUMS then go to HOTEL PROGRAMS then do a search for "London hotels".

Hope this helps,

Kim

Hi

We stayed at Rueben's at the Palace last Sept. It was VERY English and the servie was wonderful. I do have to say that we had the smallest hotel room we'd ever been in. There wasn't anywhere to put all our luggage and we had to stack it on the floor at the foot of the bed and climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. The room was very nice, just sooo small. The location was great. There was a double decker bus stop out front and Victoria Station was just around the corner. We then took the train to Southhampton where we got on the ship.

hi everyone and thank you for all your help,I am very excited to be staying at the ruben,it was just what we wanted (very english) and not a modern highrise.I have read alot of good things about this hotel and also that the hotel rooms in europe are very small,thats ok, jim said it will be cozy lol and we love the location. thank you everyone :)

We stayed at City Inn in May and are booked there again at the end of the month. We loved it. It's less than a year old, very modern, A/C and in a good location. The rates are very good if you book it through British Airway's site. It's a 10 to 15 minute walk to Westminster Abbey, Parliament Blgd, Big Ben etc. The room wasn't huge but it wasn't tiny either.

Archived