ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS- Southern Carib

Randyxl

Wondering about the first day at port before sailing out. Our ship departs San Juan at 10PM. Is there a planned dinner seating this first night or just casual dining? We have never gone on a cruise that left this late in the evening and did not know what to expect.

Also, we should be arriving at the ship dock around 4:30. Others that have gone on this ship, what time were you able to board the ship and are there planned activities this first evening? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the info and only 15 more days till we set sail!!!

Wondering about the first day at port before sailing out. Our ship departs San Juan at 10PM. Is there a planned dinner seating this first night or just casual dining? We have never gone on a cruise that left this late in the evening and did not know what to expect.

Also, we should be arriving at the ship dock around 4:30. Others that have gone on this ship, what time were you able to board the ship and are there planned activities this first evening? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the info and only 15 more days till we set sail!!!

hmm, for our family on AOS last year on the southern cruise, the main dinner for both early and late is back one hour. So if early dinner was to be at 5pm the first night, then it was 6pm. The same for the late dinner, it was one hour later. And we DID have the muster drill the the first night. I've got pictures of our family doing the muster drill when its dark, after we ate dinner in port before we left at 10pm. I'll have to see if can find our cruise compass for the first day to be sure.

I just looked at my cruise compass for the first and second day.

Dinner is served for Main seating at 6:30pm, and second seating was at 9:00pm.

the rest of the nights Main dinner was at 6:00pm and second was at 8:30pm.

And my very first picture of our southern AOS cruise was of our family doing the muster drill that night. Maybe they've changed things since last year, but my understanding was that they can't leave port till after they do the muster drill.

I booked deck 7 7314 I believe this a hump cabin, is one of those that have a larger balcony? Anyone know.

Laura

here take a look at this site:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do?shipId=115&deckId=622

it shows 7314 as just starting be on the hump, not sure about the balcony. But look around that site to see if you see any more info.

I think we might be booked on the same cruise. We are leaving on Sun, March 4th. I've read several of the reviews posted with Cruise Critic about AOS. Naturally there are some mixed reviews but I'm looking forward to the time away. This is our fifth cruise, our first where we will not be leaving from a stateside port. We've been in port at San Juan twice on previous cruises. I'm pretty sure the muster drill is that night. They are supposed to conduct those prior to leaving port. If you happen to miss it you are required to show up the next morning for one arranged for just those people. I have heard two stories about dinner that evening. One is that it is very late because of the drill, another is that there is no formal dinner the first night because of the late departure time. The Windjammer would be your option for dinner. Guess we will find out that evening!

I think we might be booked on the same cruise. We are leaving on Sun, March 4th. I've read several of the reviews posted with Cruise Critic about AOS. Naturally there are some mixed reviews but I'm looking forward to the time away. This is our fifth cruise, our first where we will not be leaving from a stateside port. We've been in port at San Juan twice on previous cruises. I'm pretty sure the muster drill is that night. They are supposed to conduct those prior to leaving port. If you happen to miss it you are required to show up the next morning for one arranged for just those people. I have heard two stories about dinner that evening. One is that it is very late because of the drill, another is that there is no formal dinner the first night because of the late departure time. The Windjammer would be your option for dinner. Guess we will find out that evening!

Have you signed up for the March 4th Roll Call and M&M?

As for the others, the muster drill is scheduled for 8:30pm the first night. The dinners are pushed back and the second seating dinner in the formal dining room is set for 9 instead of 8:30. The "mixed" reviews are, IMHO, people who don't realize that there are rude people everywhere (ever try to walk down a busy city street without getting pushed?) and who aren't able to adapt to different situations.

cruises. I'm pretty sure the muster drill is that night. They are supposed to conduct those prior to leaving port. If you happen to miss it you are required to show up the next morning for one arranged for just those people.

just came back from aos 1/14 cruise ....we all had the muster drill the day after....someone had announced it had to commence within 24 hrs....not sure if its true or not but we all assembled the day after.

just came back from aos 1/14 cruise ....we all had the muster drill the day after....someone had announced it had to commence within 24 hrs....not sure if its true or not but we all assembled the day after.

I have heard that too that it had to be within 24 hours. I was going off an older Compass that I saw that had it at 8:30 the first night (which I thought kind of odd because all aboard was 9)

here's a link http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/cruise.pdf look under the heading ....emergency drills..... if the voyage is a week or less it must commence within 24 hours after leaving port.....I guess Royal can schedule it anytime within that time window....I myself found it odd since on all the previous long and short we had them that afternoon. Personally....once we we're on the ship I wouldn't care if they made us do it the first day or everyday :)

We sail in May and my understanding is that we will be having the Bon Voyage at 8:30pm, I wonder what time we'll muster now, before main dinner like everyone else? Any ideas?

FYI- On our 1993 So. Caribbean cruise we mustered the next day.

Karen

We were also on the JAN. 14th cruise and "CRUZIN" is right--We did not have our muster drill untill Monday -- The reason for this is because of the Football play-off games!!! Yes they are normally on Sunday night but for a couple of sails they pushed it to Monday!!!!

Hey, does anybody know how to find out if RCI will be having any "Acadamy Awards event" on the ship Sunday, Feb 25th? We are "movie buffs" and would like to know if we have to watch it in our room that night or if they will have some special showing.

Thanks

Hey, does anybody know how to find out if RCI will be having any "Acadamy Awards event" on the ship Sunday, Feb 25th? We are "movie buffs" and would like to know if we have to watch it in our room that night or if they will have some special showing.

Thanks

Hi Randy - I am on your sailing for the week of the 25th and also for the week of March 4th. I'm not sure about the Academy awards....maybe they can get it via satellite??

Have you registered for the Meet and Mingle yet? It is confirmed for 5pm in the Blue Moon Lounge on Monday Feb 26/07 - hope you will register and try and attend, it should be fun!

As far as the muster drill goes - we sailed the AOS last January and ours was at 8:30pm the day we boarded......I would actually prefer it that way....to get it over with. If they do have it on Monday, won't that interfere with our first sea day??? Who wants to get off their deck chair and put on a life jacket??????

See you onboard!!!

We sail in May and my understanding is that we will be having the Bon Voyage at 8:30pm, I wonder what time we'll muster now, before main dinner like everyone else? Any ideas?

FYI- On our 1993 So. Caribbean cruise we mustered the next day.

Karen

I think you're right. I was told that sail-away times from San Juan and Aruba have both changed.

When we sailed on the AOS for our honeymoon we had a "hump" cabin (no pun intended :P), and the balcony, was not any bigger, but I felt that the view was much better b/c you were further out from the ship than the rest of the people, i.e., you could look DOWN the length of the ship and not feel like you were being a peeping Tom, Dick or Harry. One thing that was neat was we had met a couple on board and they also had a balcony on the same side of the ship, so we could always chat "outside". Also the inside hallways follow the contours of the ship so the staterooms are the same size as well.

The muster drill was that same day as when we boarded.

Dinner was pushed back a half hour for each seating...we always have the late seating but eating that late and being so tired from travel, we skipped the first night and I think we just got nibbles in the Promenade Cafe if memory serves correct.

When we sailed on the AOS for our honeymoon we had a "hump" cabin (no pun intended :P), and the balcony, was not any bigger, but I felt that the view was much better b/c you were further out from the ship than the rest of the people, i.e., you could look DOWN the length of the ship and not feel like you were being a peeping Tom, Dick or Harry. One thing that was neat was we had met a couple on board and they also had a balcony on the same side of the ship, so we could always chat "outside". Also the inside hallways follow the contours of the ship so the staterooms are the same size as well.

The muster drill was that same day as when we boarded.

Dinner was pushed back a half hour for each seating...we always have the late seating but eating that late and being so tired from travel, we skipped the first night and I think we just got nibbles in the Promenade Cafe if memory serves correct.

We also had a hump cabin on the AOS last January and loved the location - it was so convenient to everything! Our cabin was GS 1324 and we could not see towards the front of the ship - only towards the aft. It didn't bother us at all though.....the balcony was a good size.

This time we are in an aft JS and I am somewhat dreading the LONG walk to the aft of the ship.....we will have to do this every day for 14 days :eek: as we have the same cabin for both weeks. I am told that the aft JS balconies are huge, so I am very much looking forward to seeing just how big it really is!

I have also heard that the AOS will be leaving port at 8pm instead of 10pm beginning in May. As well, apparently the ship will only be in Aruba until 8pm instead of it's usual 1am. I for one do not really like these changes. We are on the old schedule for our upcoming cruises - but will have to deal with the new times for our cruise in 2008.

Happy sailing!

Archived