First Night Dinner and Dress Code

JDCMN

I've been happily scouring these boards and have gotten many valuable ideas and suggestions although there's one thing I haven't found yet.

I know that the dress code is "resort casual" for dinner (no shorts, no t-shirts, etc) on most ships in the main dining area but does this also include the first night? If we're traveling in jeans all day, are they accepted at dinner? Actually, now that I think of it, is there dinner served in the main dining area on the first night or do you eat somewhere else?

Not that I can't afford to skip a meal but the logistics of the first night dining options and dress code are baffling me! :)

I'm counting on the many wise and experienced cruisers out there to help dress me and make sure I'm fed that first night! LOL

Thanks in advance!

What cruise line are you traveling with? My DH & I just got back off our first cruise, the Holiday out of Mobile (a Carnival ship). We did notice people in the dining room with jeans on the first night, but honestly as soon as you sat down, you were sitting the rest of the meal so no one saw your bottom half anyway (until you get up to leave). My DH was going to wear jeans the first night if we didn't get our luggage in time, but since we had a late seating, he had plenty of time to change to khaki slacks. Hope this helps!

Dinner is always served in the main dining room the first night, despite which cruise line, etc. You can certainly choose to eat at the buffet, but first might is a good time to meet your wait staff, tablemates, etc. It is probably the most casual of all nights, since it is possible that you may not have your luggage yet before dinner. You can feel comfortable in pretty much anything except shorts. Just relax and enjoy your cruise!

The first night of our Alaskan cruise the dress code was listed as "come as you are". Unfortunately a lot of people do not receive their luggage until after dinner especially if you have first seating. This cruise had a late sailing and we were watching them still loading luggage after we had finished dinner.

On Royal and Carnival when we go, it has always been "come in what you came on in".....since many people do not have luggage before the first seating.

Sad part is, that many people no longer dress to travel, as they did in "the old days". I still try to look smart casual to travel and feel very comfortable in what I travel to the ship in. And we enjoy the dining room as often as we can!

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

Some, like the OP, ask a legitimate question due to not understanding what the difference. Others may take it to the extreme by interpreting their own version of the rules.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

On the first day, the cruise lines are easy on enforcement of a dress code. They realize that many have not received their luggage, therefore, are in travelling clothing. They state COME AS YOU ARE for the first night. Nothing about casual/business/no jeans etc.

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual.

That depends on where you place informal.

In our circle of friends, we use formal to mean a formal event- long dress or evening suit for ladies, tux or dark suit for men. Semi-formal would mean cocktail dress or suit for ladies, suit or sports jacket for men. Informal would be nice pants or skirt for ladies, dockers and sport or polo shirt for men. Casual would be picnic wear - jeans, shorts, etc.

Each line has their own interpertation of dress code. Celebrity has 3 types of dress - formal, informal and casual. On Celebrity, informal is between casual and formal. Jeans are not allowed in the dining room during dinner hours. However, as stated before, it is okay to wear what you traveled in as your suitcases may not make it to your room in time for dinner. I usually pack a change of clothes in my carryon- especially if I am arriving the day of sailing as it is nice to freshen up before dinner. After all, you will be meeting your tablemates and waiters for the first time and first impressions are hard to override.

Dress code for Celebrity is as follows:

"A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men."

Since you'll be on the Sensation... The first night is super-casual...whatever you wore to board the ship will be fine. I've seen folks in shorts, jeans, etc., which definitely aren't appropriate any other night of the cruise.

For the possible event that I may not have my luggage before dinner on embarkation day, I wear something that will be ok for the dining room, like capris and nice casual top.

Archived