any amateur radio users out there?

rfoust

Just found this on the RCI website:

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship? s.gif A: Aside from the obvious (and illegal) items not allowed onboard, there are other items we cannot accommodate onboard.

Prohibited items:

Bicycles

Surfboards

Skateboards

Hockey sticks

Personal alcohol

HAM radio equipment

:(

Monty

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back to life...

Has anyone brought a tri/quad band HT with them and used it to hit repeaters near to the coast? Thinking about taking one with me to California...

How did you get Captain's permission, in advance or only once on board? Also, as pointed out before, what did you do to get permission from the Bahamas?

The last cruise out of San Juan I brought my triband HT to use in PR and USVI. Since there were no other known hams aboard, I was not able to use it on the ship. I would have however if the opportunity presented itself. The VHF/UHF HT is nothing more or less than the walkie talkies others use, just on a different frequency.

I have some ham buddies mostly from the SE USA who take an annual cruise out of south FL. They get balcony rooms adjacent and have in the past put up a wire antenna and operated on 20m from their stateroom. Illegal of course so the names have been omitted as well as the cruiseline and ship. They all take along their HT and use them. They have not had a problem, but I would recommend leaving the HF rig at home.

Funny story, we were gathered in Orlando for HamCation and staying in a local smaller hotel back in the first part of this decade. There was about 20 or so of us. We were using our HTs all over the hotel and in the pool area. The hotel had a small security force and they were alarmed when they saw us and the HTs. They were ready to give all of us the boot when we explained we were hams and not terrorists!

Bringing this back to life...

Has anyone brought a tri/quad band HT with them and used it to hit repeaters near to the coast? Thinking about taking one with me to California...

How did you get Captain's permission, in advance or only once on board? Also, as pointed out before, what did you do to get permission from the Bahamas?

Dave,

I'd take the equipment and just write a letter to the Captain, leave it with the Purser's and you should get an answer pretty quick. I have the few times that I've left a letter for the Captain asking about something.

Later,

KD4DYR

Dave,

I'd take the equipment and just write a letter to the Captain, leave it with the Purser's and you should get an answer pretty quick. I have the few times that I've left a letter for the Captain asking about something.

Later,

KD4DYR

I kind of figured a letter to the Captain be required if waiting until aboard. I guess I can call the Bahamian embassy and see what procedures they have for being legal on a ship under their flag.

Thanks for your reply/suggestion.

• 5 years later...

Have just returned from a quite successful ham radio operation

on the Ruby P. Setup consisted of an old FT-100D and an original

model Buddipole. The balconies on the Ruby are more than large

enough.... Worked all over Europe, North, and South America.

Best DX was Rodrigues Island, about 9000 mile hop from the

Eastern Caribbean. All CW. Mostly one call.... Good RST reports....

Of course, I had full approval from Princess, including the ships

technical office.

Fun time.

Robert, N6VX/VP9/MM

I had written Holland America for permission to use ham radio HTs (VHF/UHF) on our upcoming Alaska cruise. The response I got back from the cruiseline was that it would be ok to bring my radios and use them with no repercussions.

Mark

WØBG

That's interesting and good o hear as I remember reading that such radios were not allowed a few years ago in one of their FAQs on their website as I was thinking of doing the same thing.

KI6YFM

That's interesting and good o hear as I remember reading that such radios were not allowed a few years ago in one of their FAQs on their website as I was thinking of doing the same thing.

KI6YFM

Ham radios are still on Royal's prohibited list.